Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Yes and you can barely get 5 hours of heavy use compared to 10+ on the iPads! Not sure if you understand resolution and its power demands. Even a slight bump can cause much higher graphics/processor/battery demands. Its not about size but the power needed to do it. The retina iPhone 4S has a slightly lower res than an iPad 2. Pushing 2048x1536 onto the 7.9 inch screen IS a huge demand on battery and processor to get 10 hour battery life iPads are famous for. And as I stated, doing this in the larger iPad caused a slight weight and thickness increase. I never stated it wont happen, but the engineering involved is intense. The iPad 3/4 is pushing almost as many pixels as the 27" iMac I use at work. Its insanely awesome but it comes with tradeoffs. Even my 4S gets VERY warm during 3D gaming.

Use of an igzo panel can easily achieve this but at the moment they are too expensive to mass produce on a global scale.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i always thought that apple released the mini to test the water but never made a huge second batch because if it suceeded they woulda just done a retina mini

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Use of an igzo panel can easily achieve this but at the moment they are too expensive to mass produce on a global scale.

Partially true. An IGZO panel is thinner and more power efficient but only makes up 1/2 a story.

You still need a powerful and efficient GPU to drive 2048 x 1536 resolution, and currently they have only the A5X & A6X which are inefficient for a mini.

Hence it will take both IGZO panel and New Chip (A7) together and neither are going to be available for a good while yet.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Most people don't grasp that Apple created new manufacturing processes for the iPhone 5.

My response was in reference to the design, not manufacturing process.

If we are going to speak about manufacturing process then the new iMac and Retina MacBook Pro can be added to that list of 'Recently Updated', but I can't remember the last time I upgraded my product from any company because it was manufactured different than before.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i always thought that apple released the mini to test the water but never made a huge second batch because if it suceeded they woulda just done a retina mini

Illogical thinking.

They couldn't 'just done a retina mini'. The technology wasn't there to produce one in a 7.9" form factor with decent battery life and very slim profile, and still isn't until later in the year.

You can't build something with components that don't exist.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Illogical thinking.

They couldn't 'just done a retina mini'. The technology wasn't there to produce one in a 7.9" form factor with decent battery life and very slim profile, and still isn't until later in the year.

You can't build something with components that don't exist.

Agreed. This rumor of a spring release of a retina mini continue to persist on the strength of wishful thinking alone. Reality dictates that we'll see it this fall, if at all this year. And frankly that's fine by me, because the mini works great as is. As long as you're not sitting there with both iPads side by side (and who does that anyway?), the screen won't be an issue for most people.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I think we can conclude that Apple are trying to be less predictable with release schedules.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
It really doesn't matter how unpredictable they try to be as component makers are leaking the info anyway. Its hard to keep the secrets when there are different suppliers involved. We saw the mini and the iPhone 5 months before they were released because of supplier leaks. No surprises really.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
It really doesn't matter how unpredictable they try to be as component makers are leaking the info anyway. Its hard to keep the secrets when there are different suppliers involved. We saw the mini and the iPhone 5 months before they were released because of supplier leaks. No surprises really.
There were very few leaks that the ipad 4 would be released in November. The only leak was a few weeks before it but that might just be because attention was more focused on the mini. Also, why are so many rumour websites saying March even after the quarterly results? Are they just basing it on past releases?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
There were very few leaks that the ipad 4 would be released in November. The only leak was a few weeks before it but that might just be because attention was more focused on the mini. Also, why are so many rumour websites saying March even after the quarterly results? Are they just basing it on past releases?

Part of it is pure link bait. Apple news sells. But I also think some of it is analyst predictions to manipulate stock and lot of it is just wishful thinking.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I agree that 2013 will be a true test for Apple. But I think it's important to point out the true role Steve Jobs had the last few years of his life. After reading his biography it became clear that he had an extreme urge to do a ton of great things. That urge was fueled very much by the fact that he knew his illness was getting the best of him. The proof is obvious that Apple was kicking out amazing things one right after the other starting in 2007. What we are seeing now is a company trying to do its best after the pedal has been to the metal for a number of years. Not everything will be the next iPhone or iPad. The only things in the pipeline might be a TV/box better than the current offering and maybe the slight possibility of a watch or some wearable accessory that integrates with all our devices. Apple has a lot of cleaning up to do in software. 2013 will be the year of software for sure.

Agree mate, i think 2013 is year of software for apple :) atleast i hope.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Actually, the iPad 3 and 4 share similar designs. They are both 'different' than the 2. Not a major difference, it's subtle...but I'm not so sure there's an actual need to change the package until the energy technology allows a slimmer/lighter shell without sacrificing up-time on the big iPad. I'm still amazed everyday using my iPad 4 how much power is in this 1.5 pound slab.
While we are enjoying the iPad Mini as well...I still very much prefer using the iPad 4 for most of what I do. My wife on the other hand won't let go of the Mini (Perhaps I've 'learned' to enjoy the iPad 4 more as I don't often have the chance to 'enjoy' the Mini :)).

My point is...and as always, ymmv---the iPad 4's design is timeless...I didn't realize it weighed too much until the Mini dropped...and I'm very, VERY happy with retina screens...I'd rather have a bit heavier/larger package WITH battery life and retina than lighter/smaller without.

Wow---May I address each point? Cool!!

Hardware in 2012 disappointing? IMHO---Hardly!!! In fact, 2012 was...in my 25 years of computing easily been one of the BEST years for hardware purchases, specifically because of Apple!!!

Retina Baby!!! Across the lineups. iPad 3/4. My new Retina Macbook Pro--Best laptop I've EVER owned. iPad 4 is a MONSTER!!! iPad Mini was a Home Run! iPhone 5 is easily the BEST mobile phone I've owned in two decades--a True Pocket computer;) --- The iTouch 5th gen is absolutey amazing. I bought my son one and we're having a blast playing games together on the Apple TV/1080p update (that was last year too, right?) The iMac redesign with Fusion drive, lack of reflective glass, USB 3 and more ThunderBolt ports...HDMI, finally! All SSD options in MBPs.....I'm just not sure Apple has ever had a BETTER or more Innovative year than 2012---A Major change for me, and my enjoyment of computing speed and 'looks' with those retina screens

Retina laptops overpriced??? Really??? Go to Lenovo.com. Click Think Pad, and build out a 180GB SSD model (15") 1080p w/16GB of RAM. It's $2200. Sony's high end laptops with 256GB SSD, just shy of $2300...HP/Dell/Alienware/IBuyPower....doesn't matter WHICH laptop you choose....ALL have trade offs, ALL can be built to within spec of Apple's MBPs and ALL are right at or near the price of Apple's Retina offerings on laptops. $2,000 computers are the 'norm' if you want high end displays, SSD storage, 16GB of RAM and decent I/O options. And as always, Apple has stayed 'true' to NOT building a POS $499 laptop.

You bought THREE Minis even though they 'clearly lack retina' --- 'nuff said ;)

iPhone 5's 4" screen definitely addressed a bigger screen. All day, everyday-- 4" is bigger than 3.5". Many of us (about 25-30million or so) are VERY happy with the iPhone 5. Go Android if you want bigger than 4". There are LOTS of options on the market and if it's a bigger phone you want, Apple may NOT be for you. They obviously are to many though. Clearly they addressed what the market desired.

No New Apple Software....There is still nothing on the market that comes close to the iLife suite. Regardless of it's age, Apple continues to update Garage Band, iPhoto, et al. They've also spent a couple years putting together incredible iOS versions of their iLife and iWork suite---but if you're a power user, Microsoft Office has never been better on a Mac than Office 2011. I'm excited to see the iWork update sooner than later as well...but IMO, again...the iLife suite is outstanding...and one of the many benefits that come with buying a Mac. No Windows OEM comes close to this software out of the box!

I'd hardly call the Mountain Lion update weak. For me, it's been Awesome! For Apple...one of the, if not THE fastest selling OS update EVER! Compare the demand between 10.8 and Windows 8 and I think OSx speaks for itself. As far as iOS 6.0...I guess I'm in the minority, but I dig it. It's fast, efficient, does what I need...and what it doesn't, I can typically find an 'app for that'. I am excited for iOS7---but iOS6 is a polished example of a mobile operating system...it shows it's age perfectly. Mature. Stable. And Fast as Hell!!!

While iTunes match is still going through some growing pains...it crushes the competition. Amazon and Google Music. Check out Maximum PC's review of the three...iTunes Match comes out (easily) on top! It'll get there. iTunes took some time to mature---I think iTunes 11 is a big step in the right direction (and an update to your earlier slam on 2012 software in iLife). To have your library with you wherever you are is awesome!!! To update your older 128mb/s rips to AAC is even better!!! I'm sure they're constantly working to improve their 'web services'....which is definitely where I'd like to see them spend their time this year.

As far as Thunderbolt---hardly Apple's fault. It's been a wait, for sure. But in the professional sector, there's been some incredible options open up for video/audio and photography post production. Belkin and other third parties will certainly come to the table with options this year...with docks that add a couple of USB3 ports, HDMI, Ethernet, eSATA, card readers, etc, etc....T/B is only going to get better with time. It's hard to blame Apple though---3rd party peripherals have to come from 'other' companies to see growth. Hopefully 2013 is the year.

Yes...I'm typically a glass is half full person....but in my opinion, to dismiss 2012 as a big fail/miss year for Apple is a silly, half hearted attempt at a joke. Regardless of what the goofy stock market 'says'---at no time in my life has a company offered a more compelling mix of hard/software that affects my personal and business life so significantly. From early morning RSS/News through the day's communication (phone/text/email) to my business needs basic to advanced...to evening entertainment, information and relaxation---I'm at a loss for WHAT Apple could offer that would intrigue me---that I (we as a society) don't already have access to in this day and age.

...But....That's what Apple has ALWAYS been great at. Releasing a product we didn't KNOW we needed. It just doesn't happen EVERY year. There were 6 years between iPod and iPhone. 3 between iPad and iPhone. However...in the middle, some amazing updates/upgrades and evolutionary add-ons that have matured each device to a point that they are nearly 'perfect!'

J

Have to agree with URKEL :p
I'm a rational Applemfan but my observations for 2012 was as follows:
- iPad 3 had retina display as the highlight but hey, I can still watch movies clearly on my iPad 2
- iPad 4 was what? Just a new 8 pin charge? iPad updates were a total fail for me in 2012
- iPod touch update. One MASSIVE disappointment for me...maximum capacity is same as previous generation, 64 miserable GB in this day and age ;) I recently learnt the convenience of watching series on my phone and trust me, 64GB ain't cutting much in this day and age. The update was well needed but this one element totally put me off this update. Different strokes for different folks I guess
- iPhone 5? Where do I start!!! Let me get this straight....we got a bigger screen....but only length wise ie not proportionally, length and width? Someone shoot me, now!!!
No swipe keyboard which has been out for what? At least 3 to 5 years??? (Might be patenting issues)
Samsung crushed the industry with the Galaxy S3...with a 4.8" screen! Sounds big on paper but the actual design, thinness and feel makes it work! 4.8" is the new 3.5"!!! Yes, I own an iPad, an iPod and a Samsung Galaxy! Not a inch of jealousy over iPhone 5!!! It was my first Samsung phone but it opened my eyes to the world outside Apple. I will continue to support apple in the iPod world but I am looking at exploring other Samsung products since I got the S3 and saw the possibilities of Samsung!!!
Let me not forget NFC and S Beam! I transferred a 4 minute HD music video from one Galaxy to another in about 10 - 15 seconds (I kid you not)!!! File size was about 60MB!!!

I know that R&D is done months in advance but Samsung really whipped ass massively with the S3!!!
I simply love their feature where you can watch videos continuously whilst multitasking, like texting, writing notes, exploring files, etc. I think it's called S Video?

Without exaggeration, I've convinced about 5 people, after showing them specs for iPhone 5 and Galaxy, to go for the Galaxy instead! One guy even sold his Apple iphone in China to get the Galaxy...and he has no complaints! Just praises!

None the less, for Apple to gain lost respect, and share price, I feel it needs to do the following:
- up ipod to 128GB or more
- next iPhone needs a bigger screen. I remember Steve Jobs saying about 3 years ago that anything bigger than 3.5" would be too big, too large. And what do we have today in iPhone 5? :D
- swipe keyboard is imperative to catch up.so convenient and so first world/evolution
- Apple needs to invent their version of that pop up video whilst multitasking, seriously. That for me was the biggest and best innovation for 2012. It's so smooth, and such an awesome future that most smart phone users can relate to wanting

I'm not here to take sides of Apple or Samsung. Both have development a good brand over decades. But I do find it disappointing from the company, who is supposedly the leader and innovator, to miss (what I see now) such basic necessities in technology today! (We tend to adapt fast and get use to new features quickly)!

Off to watch series on my 4.8" screen :D

Sore to blab about Samsung here but when a first rated technology company gets owned by a supposed second or third rated "jack of all trades but master of none", then you know the game has changed and wigs have been snatched (for now)!!!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Actually, the iPad 3 and 4 share similar designs. They are both 'different' than the 2. Not a major difference, it's subtle...but I'm not so sure there's an actual need to change the package until the energy technology allows a slimmer/lighter shell without sacrificing up-time on the big iPad. I'm still amazed everyday using my iPad 4 how much power is in this 1.5 pound slab.
While we are enjoying the iPad Mini as well...I still very much prefer using the iPad 4 for most of what I do. My wife on the other hand won't let go of the Mini (Perhaps I've 'learned' to enjoy the iPad 4 more as I don't often have the chance to 'enjoy' the Mini :)).

My point is...and as always, ymmv---the iPad 4's design is timeless...I didn't realize it weighed too much until the Mini dropped...and I'm very, VERY happy with retina screens...I'd rather have a bit heavier/larger package WITH battery life and retina than lighter/smaller without.

Wow---May I address each point? Cool!!

Hardware in 2012 disappointing? IMHO---Hardly!!! In fact, 2012 was...in my 25 years of computing easily been one of the BEST years for hardware purchases, specifically because of Apple!!!

Retina Baby!!! Across the lineups. iPad 3/4. My new Retina Macbook Pro--Best laptop I've EVER owned. iPad 4 is a MONSTER!!! iPad Mini was a Home Run! iPhone 5 is easily the BEST mobile phone I've owned in two decades--a True Pocket computer;) --- The iTouch 5th gen is absolutey amazing. I bought my son one and we're having a blast playing games together on the Apple TV/1080p update (that was last year too, right?) The iMac redesign with Fusion drive, lack of reflective glass, USB 3 and more ThunderBolt ports...HDMI, finally! All SSD options in MBPs.....I'm just not sure Apple has ever had a BETTER or more Innovative year than 2012---A Major change for me, and my enjoyment of computing speed and 'looks' with those retina screens

Retina laptops overpriced??? Really??? Go to Lenovo.com. Click Think Pad, and build out a 180GB SSD model (15") 1080p w/16GB of RAM. It's $2200. Sony's high end laptops with 256GB SSD, just shy of $2300...HP/Dell/Alienware/IBuyPower....doesn't matter WHICH laptop you choose....ALL have trade offs, ALL can be built to within spec of Apple's MBPs and ALL are right at or near the price of Apple's Retina offerings on laptops. $2,000 computers are the 'norm' if you want high end displays, SSD storage, 16GB of RAM and decent I/O options. And as always, Apple has stayed 'true' to NOT building a POS $499 laptop.

You bought THREE Minis even though they 'clearly lack retina' --- 'nuff said ;)

iPhone 5's 4" screen definitely addressed a bigger screen. All day, everyday-- 4" is bigger than 3.5". Many of us (about 25-30million or so) are VERY happy with the iPhone 5. Go Android if you want bigger than 4". There are LOTS of options on the market and if it's a bigger phone you want, Apple may NOT be for you. They obviously are to many though. Clearly they addressed what the market desired.

No New Apple Software....There is still nothing on the market that comes close to the iLife suite. Regardless of it's age, Apple continues to update Garage Band, iPhoto, et al. They've also spent a couple years putting together incredible iOS versions of their iLife and iWork suite---but if you're a power user, Microsoft Office has never been better on a Mac than Office 2011. I'm excited to see the iWork update sooner than later as well...but IMO, again...the iLife suite is outstanding...and one of the many benefits that come with buying a Mac. No Windows OEM comes close to this software out of the box!

I'd hardly call the Mountain Lion update weak. For me, it's been Awesome! For Apple...one of the, if not THE fastest selling OS update EVER! Compare the demand between 10.8 and Windows 8 and I think OSx speaks for itself. As far as iOS 6.0...I guess I'm in the minority, but I dig it. It's fast, efficient, does what I need...and what it doesn't, I can typically find an 'app for that'. I am excited for iOS7---but iOS6 is a polished example of a mobile operating system...it shows it's age perfectly. Mature. Stable. And Fast as Hell!!!

While iTunes match is still going through some growing pains...it crushes the competition. Amazon and Google Music. Check out Maximum PC's review of the three...iTunes Match comes out (easily) on top! It'll get there. iTunes took some time to mature---I think iTunes 11 is a big step in the right direction (and an update to your earlier slam on 2012 software in iLife). To have your library with you wherever you are is awesome!!! To update your older 128mb/s rips to AAC is even better!!! I'm sure they're constantly working to improve their 'web services'....which is definitely where I'd like to see them spend their time this year.

As far as Thunderbolt---hardly Apple's fault. It's been a wait, for sure. But in the professional sector, there's been some incredible options open up for video/audio and photography post production. Belkin and other third parties will certainly come to the table with options this year...with docks that add a couple of USB3 ports, HDMI, Ethernet, eSATA, card readers, etc, etc....T/B is only going to get better with time. It's hard to blame Apple though---3rd party peripherals have to come from 'other' companies to see growth. Hopefully 2013 is the year.

Yes...I'm typically a glass is half full person....but in my opinion, to dismiss 2012 as a big fail/miss year for Apple is a silly, half hearted attempt at a joke. Regardless of what the goofy stock market 'says'---at no time in my life has a company offered a more compelling mix of hard/software that affects my personal and business life so significantly. From early morning RSS/News through the day's communication (phone/text/email) to my business needs basic to advanced...to evening entertainment, information and relaxation---I'm at a loss for WHAT Apple could offer that would intrigue me---that I (we as a society) don't already have access to in this day and age.

...But....That's what Apple has ALWAYS been great at. Releasing a product we didn't KNOW we needed. It just doesn't happen EVERY year. There were 6 years between iPod and iPhone. 3 between iPad and iPhone. However...in the middle, some amazing updates/upgrades and evolutionary add-ons that have matured each device to a point that they are nearly 'perfect!'

J

This is the dumbest thing in your post. Timeless only until the next reincarnation. Then, just old...

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Let me preface by pointing out that personally I always felt the March rumors were ridiculous link bait. However I have laid out some points of interest/logic of why a "retina" mini won't be released until fall.

POINT 1:
Tim Cook REPEATEDLY stressed during today's quarterly conference call that iPad mini units were very constrained and still so currently. I find it extremely unlikely that we will ever see a "retina" mini before fall given they still can't keep up with current demand. If there were indeed a march release, they would need to ramp up in the coming weeks for that release. Very unlikely since they cant even keep up now!

POINT 2:
There is a SEVERE amount of engineering that will have to go into making a retina mini in such a small and light package. The full size iPad had to get thicker and heavier to accomodate this. There are massive heat and battery issues to overcome. I simply can't see that all being figured out and components ready to go in the next few weeks for a March release.

Relax until fall people:)

Point 2 is moot because the engineering has been done. Its called the IGZO display. IGZO is the new Retina display that is thinner and lighter.

It also uses less power and does not get as hot.

All those problems have been over come with the IGZO display. And yes, they can indeed make them in the mini size as well.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Looking forward to the 2023 iPad which will be named iRetro and look exactly like the iPad 4 for because in 2023 the hipsters will all be holding chunky tablets whilst the sheep will have their iPads embedded into the palm of their hands.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Point 2 is moot because the engineering has been done. Its called the IGZO display. IGZO is the new Retina display that is thinner and lighter.

All those problems have been over come with the IGZO display. And yes, they can indeed make them in the mini size as well.

IGZO isnt the new retina display. Igzo is a display technology. Rentina is just an Apple trademark name for their screens which have a high enough pixel density so that text doesnt seem pixelated when viewed from a certain distance, which is determined by the size of the screen.

Displays don't get that hot anyway. The chip inside is what gets hot. Igzo might use less power but to display as many pixels on it for it to be retina level, it will require a powerful chip such as the A6X which gets hot.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1

There are many reasons, and the one you mentioned could be one of them. The most obvious reason, though, is that Apple will sell more units if they saturate the market with non-retina iPads first, then update.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

The IGZO panels are not the solution to all the problems.

Yes they are more power efficient, but a 2048x1536 display regardless of it being LED or IGZO still requires a beefy GPU to drive the number of pixels. The pixel number and the gpu power required to drive it doesn't change just because panel technology does.

The A5X and A6X are too power hungry for a mini currently.

Also just because they are manufacturing in relatively small yields 5" displays at 1920x1080 for smart phones based on IGZO technology, there are NO 7.9" panels being produced at 2048x1536 resolution outside of test labs, hence the technology isn't ready.

People seem to think if there is a one display with a certain technology, then EVERY display is automatically ready and able to recieve that technology for mass production which isn't the case. It takes time = no immediate availability.

----------

IGZO isnt the new retina display. Igzo is a display technology. Rentina is just an Apple trademark name for their screens which have a high enough pixel density so that text doesnt seem pixelated when viewed from a certain distance, which is determined by the size of the screen.

Displays don't get that hot anyway. The chip inside is what gets hot. Igzo might use less power but to display as many pixels on it for it to be retina level, it will require a powerful chip such as the A6X which gets hot.

EXACTLY!!

The general ignorance / misconceptions regarding the IGZO technology is going to get very tedious in the next few months....

----------

Yes, there's no way to currently put a retina display in a smaller screen. Now where did I put my iPhone 4? Or my 4S. Or my 5. Oh there it is. What a screen!

Exactly my point about people assuming because technology is available in one size, its automatically available in all / any size.

It isn't.... there is no one producing a 7.9" retina screens yet outside of labs.

----------

There are many reasons, and the one you mentioned could be one of them. The most obvious reason, though, is that Apple will sell more units if they saturate the market with non-retina iPads first, then update.

You mean more conspiracy theories...

They brought a non retina iPad mini to market because display / GPU and battery technology's weren't viable in a 7.9" form factor at the time of launch, and still aren't for the myriad of reasons outlined in this thread.

There wasn't an alterior motive, it was technological logistics. Simple.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
The IGZO panels are not the solution to all the problems.

Yes they are more power efficient, but a 2048x1536 display regardless of it being LED or IGZO still requires a beefy GPU to drive the number of pixels. The pixel number and the gpu power required to drive it doesn't change just because panel technology does.

The A5X and A6X are too power hungry for a mini currently.

Also just because they are manufacturing in relatively small yields 5" displays at 1920x1080 for smart phones based on IGZO technology, there are NO 7.9" panels being produced at 2048x1536 resolution outside of test labs, hence the technology isn't ready.

People seem to think if there is a one display with a certain technology, then EVERY display is automatically ready and able to recieve that technology for mass production which isn't the case. It takes time = no immediate availability.

----------

EXACTLY!!

The general ignorance / misconceptions regarding the IGZO technology is going to get very tedious in the next few months....

----------

Exactly my point about people assuming because technology is available in one size, its automatically available in all / any size.

It isn't.... there is no one producing a 7.9" retina screens yet outside of labs.

----------

You mean more conspiracy theories...

They brought a non retina iPad mini to market because display / GPU and battery technology's weren't viable in a 7.9" form factor at the time of launch, and still aren't for the myriad of reasons outlined in this thread.

There wasn't an alterior motive, it was technological logistics. Simple.

I think the technology does exist to produce 7.9 inch retina displays outside labs but just not economically at the moment. Its the same with any new technology, it takes a while for it to get cheap enough to be able to use it viably in global products such as the ipad. Even Igzo smartphones are currently only available in some markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.