Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
My wife gets about 6 hours from her s3. She loves the phone but can stand having to take a charger with her everywhere.

A manager at my job has some sort of Android and is always borrowing a charger from someone else to keep his phone working.

Except for the 4S I had that could use up half the battery in six hours of doing nothing due to low Verizon signal, none of my iPhones have ever run out in a 24 hr. period.

Elliott83

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
My wife gets about 6 hours from her s3. She loves the phone but can stand having to take a charger with her everywhere.

That was a issue i had. I hated always having to plug it in.

----------

A manager at my job has some sort of Android and is always borrowing a charger from someone else to keep his phone working.

Except for the 4S I had that could use up half the battery in six hours of doing nothing due to low Verizon signal, none of my iPhones have ever run out in a 24 hr. period.

Mine dies, last longer than the s3. But i do alot of work related stuff so im constantly on it

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm the big Apple proponent in everyone else's eyes in both my work and personal lives but I have to say I've been eyeballing more and more the competition. The Windows Phone 8 seems to be pretty nice and just a much less stale looking interface.

I have a 4s now and am debating what to do when my contract is up in October of this year.

I'm not in love with the iPhone 5 enough to spend the money on it when my 4s is more or less performance and capability wise the same.

I think 5" screens are a bit excessive but also can't help but covet them a bit when I see friends and co-workers with them.

I've had Android devices in the past and just still cannot ever get past the feel of the apps never being at the quality level that they are in iOS and that's always been one of the biggest reasons that I've come back to iOS.

I do wonder what will iOS 7 bring? If I could get maybe a 4.5" screen and if iOS 7 was a HUGE improvement over the dated feeling current iteration then I think I'd go with another iPhone, but if not, then I just might give Windows Phone 8 a try.

Of course there's always the sunk cost of the apps I've purchased on my iPhone that really sucks to throw away. At least I can use a lot of those on my iPad.

It's like I really WANT Apple to pull it off on the next iPhone and iOS but I just have a feeling more and more that those times have since past with Steve Jobs.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
iPhone and iOS work for me and my life. The fact everything works together makes me life easy being a musician, travelling to studios and saving calender dates and having them appear on your iPad at home.

Its not for everyone though i suppose, i am intrigued to see what the future of MS and Android brings

For user experience and ecosystem that i love and have used since 2007 ill stick with the iPhone

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Depends how Windows Phone is looking in two years. If the WP store receives my favourite apps, I'll definitely jump over and give WP a shot. Otherwise, I'll be getting another iPhone.

Elliott83

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Depends how Windows Phone is looking in two years. If the WP store receives my favourite apps, I'll definitely jump over and give WP a shot. Otherwise, I'll be getting another iPhone.

Wp is a great os! If my carrier had any i honestly wouldnt be using a 4s. But they dont and im happy with the 4s

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Wp is a great os! If my carrier had any i honestly wouldnt be using a 4s. But they dont and im happy with the 4s

That's the other problem- the carrier I'm with (and am quite happy with), Optus, doesn't offer many WP devices. Hopefully by the time my contract's up WP9 will be out and MS will make a big push to get more carriers onboard. I agree though that it's a very nice looking OS, I really want to give it a try.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
According to the indentured contract with AT&T, I'm looking at either the 6S or the Blackberry 12. Can't wait to see pics!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly

I know it's not quite there yet, but a lot has happened in the past couple months. I know everyones needs are different, but at this point I am now able to find all but maybe three apps I need for WP8. Initially I couldn't bare the lack of apps, but MS and developers have been hammering away fairly aggressively since the launch.

I'm getting great battery life out of my 920. And I think a lot of that has to do with the OS itself. By nature, if you take the time to set it up right, you spend a lot less time using apps with WP8. Since a lot of stuff is baked in and notifies you on the home screen with the live tiles VS opening several apps all day long. I'm loving it, but I do wish MS had opened up the OS a little more. The NFC is very limited and no true toggles or profiles (like iOS) but all in all I like WP8 a lot more than Android.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I know it's not quite there yet, but a lot has happened in the past couple months. I know everyones needs are different, but at this point I am now able to find all but maybe three apps I need for WP8. Initially I couldn't bare the lack of apps, but MS and developers have been hammering away fairly aggressively since the launch.

I'm getting great battery life out of my 920. And I think a lot of that has to do with the OS itself. By nature, if you take the time to set it up right, you spend a lot less time using apps with WP8. Since a lot of stuff is baked in and notifies you on the home screen with the live tiles VS opening several apps all day long. I'm loving it, but I do wish MS had opened up the OS a little more. The NFC is very limited and no true toggles or profiles (like iOS) but all in all I like WP8 a lot more than Android.

The problem is a lot of the apps I like cater for a very niche audience- a lot of them are dedicated to Australian sport and surfing, most don't even have Android versions. It's a pretty big ask for those developers to justify the costs of doing a WP when the market for Windows Phones in Australia is quite tiny. It really sucks, as I'd love to give WP a try. I do know, however, that the developer of one of my favourite apps (Coastalwatch) is planning on doing a Windows 8 version of Coastalwatch. Hopefully that'll mean they'll give a WP version a shot down the track.

Everything else about WP sounds great, it'd definitely be the mobile OS I'd go for if I wasn't going to get an iPhone.

Elliott83

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Wp has come a long way. My opinion is it will only get better. I was reading a article, sometime last year, and they predicted that wp will be on top in a couple years. That would be a nice thing to see. They are really reliable devices. My last one was a 7pro and it was one of the best devices ive owned in awhile

appletoandroid

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
I switched to a GS2 in December and am not looking back. Unless iPhone becomes more innovative and customizable, theres 0 chance I go back to it. Let alone unless they release a 4.5" or larger phone they aren't getting my business back. They are dated and limited devices. Customers are speaking w/ their wallets and buying Samsung!

saporiti

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
I think this is why the world doesn't fall down lol. When most of you prefer Android over iPhone because you can costuming every single thing, I instead admire the beauty and the simplicity of the iOS just like it is. I can do everything I need to do and every thing I want to.... But that's me, I don't give a fart about customizing menus, icons, home screens and whatsoever.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The only reason I'm still using my iPhone 4 is because my HTC broke, and when I next upgrade I'll certainly be getting me another Android phone. Not from HTC though, their build quality is terrible these days. It'll either be a Nexus 4 or, if they still don't stock them, a Galaxy S3. Or maybe I'll wait for the next wave of Nexuses and Galaxy Ss before I make my choice.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The only reason I'm still using my iPhone 4 is because my HTC broke, and when I next upgrade I'll certainly be getting me another Android phone. Not from HTC though, their build quality is terrible these days. It'll either be a Nexus 4 or, if they still don't stock them, a Galaxy S3. Or maybe I'll wait for the next wave of Nexuses and Galaxy Ss before I make my choice.

I don't know about their Android phones because I've never owned one but I can't see any defects in my HTC 8X. Absolutely perfect build quality and design. I'm actually considering the rumored HTC M7.

Elliott83

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
Ive always thought that htc should stick strickly to wp. I dont care for their android devices.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I don't know about their Android phones because I've never owned one but I can't see any defects in my HTC 8X. Absolutely perfect build quality and design. I'm actually considering the rumored HTC M7.

My HTC Sensation fell apart physically then stopped connecting to phone networks properly, and the battery life was consistently awful. Plus it had this design fault where if the top of the phone around the headphone socket got stretched (which it did very easily) then headphones wouldn't work properly.

That's put me off HTC and it helps me to see why their marketshare and sales have been falling as of late. Sloppy build quality.

Besides, despite having an official unlock tool from HTC out, you still can't get full S-OFF without hacking, which is ridiculous when Samsung doesn't lock their bootloaders at all.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I went through three and none of them were good. My first HTC 8X wouldn't recognize any SIM card, so I exchanged for another. The second one had dust under the screen. The third one had a green tint to the screen and looked really bad.

I like Windows Phone 8, except for a few minor gripes, but I gave up on the HTC 8X because build quality issues seem to be common with HTC devices. Also, the flex of the screen bothered me. Just using the screen normally I could see ripples when touching it. I could see that on all three of them. You can force it to happen by gently squeezing the sides of the device, but I was seeing it in normal usage. People are reporting dust and rippling issues on all HTC phones. They may not all do it, but there are some serious QC problems.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Since this is the year of an iPhone refresh (5S), I can afford to dabble. I'm liking what I see with BB10, and Windows Phone is improving all the time.

My iPhone5 is not going anywhere however.

Just really depends on what Apple does with iOS7 more than anything else, with hardware being a secondary concern.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Im sure it would be you spec lover :p (don't take offence). You realise that 500 ppi has no visible difference to 300 ppi even if you had 20/20 vision... sigh -_- And quad core devices that chew up more battery than dual core devices and are slower IRL! Where is the logic, please tell me. (I am actually curious to know) :)

It's an art thing - if I can replace my sketchbook and phone with one device, I will. And a 6" phone would be a great size for drawing on.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm starting to think this will be my last iPhone unless there are dramatic changes to iPhone 6.

The UI has become extremely stale and I still can't do simple ****ing things like read and reply to a text message without exiting the app. Speaking of apps, iPhone multitasking is still half assed and not real multitasking.. let's not get into the Maps fiasco..

Hardware wise, it's nice to look at and feel, but we still don't have a bigger screen, the battery, especially on the 5, is garbage. No NFC, no innovation...

In about 2-3 months all the competitors will be ahead of iPhone and we'll still be waiting for the once a year minimal upgrade.

o.

I will be getting my first iPhone with my next phone.

I have a really old and busted HP iPaq phone that runs Windows Mobile 6.5.

Really can't wait for it to die. My next phone will be an iPhone.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I've already switched after the iPhone 5 but will be keeping an eye on the next iPhone to see if apple decides to make any changes.

Do you guys and gals really buy new $200-$300 phones every 2 years?? That seems like a really HUGE expenditure to me. I can't justify it. Must be nice to have that disposable income.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Do you guys and gals really buy new $200-$300 phones every 2 years?? That seems like a really HUGE expenditure to me. I can't justify it. Must be nice to have that disposable income.

I try to upgrade every year but extra expenses and my HTC breaking have held me back this year so I'm still on an iPhone 4. Usually when I'm on a yearly upgrade cycle though I just sell the old phone on eBay straight after I get the new one and it covers at least 60% of the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.