Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
The rationale given is this

"... in light of carriers' current unlocking policies and the ready availability of new unlocked phones in the marketplace..."

but didn't the current unlocking policies only come about because unlocking was specifically declared legal?

Would it have anything to do with the theft, unlocking and re-selling of smartphones?

I too am perplexed by this move by the govt.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
StraightTalk service will work with a LOCKED AT&T iPhone. I can confirm this with my iPhone 4S. Nothing illegal taking place here; the previous owner of my iPhone bought a new iPhone 5 and transferred his number to it. AT&T won't unlock the 4S until it is two years old (October of '14). StraightTalk doesn't care and doesn't require the unlocked phone.

However, Uncle Sam can still kiss my nappy a$$.

It occurs to me now why those wackos in Idaho don't think our government is trustworthy. Same reason why there will never be common ground between NRA and non-NRA types: They believe the government is our enemy and, you know what? This kind of decision (as trivial as it is when compared to gun control) is a perfect example of that.

Last edited:

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
At least I bet if you do it anyway, than switch to T-Mobile or any other secondary carrier, it's not like they would report you(losing you as a customer obviously). :cool:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So? Even if I'm on contract and I unlock, I either a) have to pay the ETF set by the carrier, so they still get all the money they need for the rest of the cost of the phone, or b) continue paying the contract, so either way the telcos win whether I unlock or not. All this does is punish us consumers "cuz we can."

I'm confused. Why should you be allowed to unlock for another provider if you don't honor your contract. If your that concerned, buy the phone off contract, get it legally unlocked, and do what you want with it.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Illegal? Who's going to arrest me?

The apple police. My guess is apple pushed hard for this law. Probably AT&T too. I can see it now. Unlock your iphone, apples goons show up like what happened to the guy who ended up with that test iphone. Hope this law is for only while under contract.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The world has made locking phones illegal (Hong Kong did this nearly 20 years ago)...

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
If corporations are people... They are immortal billionaire people that control the government and only interested in profit.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I'm confused. Why should you be allowed to unlock for another provider if you don't honor your contract. If your that concerned, buy the phone off contract, get it legally unlocked, and do what you want with it.

Because in your contract it says if you pay the ETF the contract is now complete. Your still honoring the terms of it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
thx!
If this is the case then then it would be bad for the carriers (in the long term) to be proponents of this policy.

Currently, if I get a subsidized phone from a major US carrier, they are 1. financing the phone 2. providing the service.

My understanding is that this policy makes it (unlocking) illegal base on copyright act (according to the Federal register)... that is, the proponents say the carrier "owns" the phone, and the subscriber/leaser cannot change the software without the "owner's" permission.

Well Walmart (and others soon) are offering plans like StraightTalk where they offer 1. service only for $45 or 2. phone financing for an additional $25.

So Walmart separated the smartphone financing from the service provider. This opens the door for ANY financier (including Apple) to lease out unlocked phones, and the sub can buy "service only" from plan re-packagers like Walmart.

Wouldn't this diminish the grip that carriers have on bundling subsidies with their plans?

I think all the new non-contract plans will have an affect on subsidies (T Mobile will be stopping subsidies). I'm also glad you brought up the point that "the proponents say the carrier "owns" the phone, and the subscriber/leaser cannot change the software without the "owner's" permission." (in the case of a contract plan). The straight talk plan will sell you a phone (it's yours) and the $25 / month is only a finance fee (as you correctly stated) so the unlocking issue does not apply to it.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Not always. Since last April for iphones. Before then Suck T & T wouldn't unlock an iPhone even off contract

True, but now I believe all of them will if you have paid the early termination or completed your contract.

----------

Because in your contract it says if you pay the ETF the contract is now complete. Your still honoring the terms of it.

and at that point you can get it legally unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.