Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I have been trying to figure this out. The GS3 has that cover on it. A cover could work and the way the Smart Cover is on the ipad why not the iPhone. I think it would be great. Would anyone else like to see apple make one?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Now thats interesting. I would love to see a iPhone Smart cover

:apple: Think Different

----------

Second that, giggled a little at that

I just can't believe they have not done it yet. I have the Smart Cover for my ipad 2 and it is awesome. They charge a pretty price for those things seems like they would want the money. People would flock over anything made by apple. I am very surprise we have not seen it.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I just can't believe they have not done it yet. I have the Smart Cover for my ipad 2 and it is awesome. They charge a pretty price for those things seems like they would want the money. People would flock over anything made by apple. I am very surprise we have not seen it.

I too am surprised, i think it would be a nice buck for them for sure

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
There are plenty of flip cases on the market that look like the Samsung flip cases. A smart cover similar to the ipad would not work on current iphone. Aluminum bezel and magnets don't well together.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
There are plenty of flip cases on the market that look like the Samsung flip cases. A smart cover similar to the ipad would not work on current iphone. Aluminum bezel and magnets don't well together.

Well I did not say it had to be just like the one for the iPad. Apple could make it work.

----------

Lets do it guys, split profits guys? :apple:

Lets do it, but I think I need a bigger cut cause well I am the one that first posted it. Lol

No but really is there a place to suggest things to apple?

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
It could be done if the magnets were attached to a thin case. Maybe I'll get an iPad mini Smart Cover and cut out an iPhone one, then take one metal hinge from my old iPad 3 Smart Cover and magnetize a thin case...hmmm..

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
ahhh smart cover on an iphone, ehhh guys you aren't thinking this through.

Think about it, an ipad is not in and out of your pockets all day, a phone is.

Smart cover held on only by...magnets....easily detached....you know much you'd be fussing with it trying to keep it attached to your phone??

Just get an iphone case fellas...

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Smart cover held on only by...magnets....easily detached....you know much you'd be fussing with it trying to keep it attached to your phone??

Agreed. Although it would look very nice, I don't think it would hold up with going in and out of pockets!

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
A smart cover for the iPhone makes no sense for the aforementioned reasons.

What if the Smart Cover was a part of a really thin iPhone case? Fold it around the back when using it, protect the screen when not, use it as a kickstand.

That's it I'm cutting down my iPad Mini Smart cover and superglueing it into the thinnest iPhone case I can find.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Ok start taking apartiphones, installing magnets, THEN think about the covers...

Why do that when it already sticks

a06f1b6f4a4debc1d41e5442e2924554.jpg

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

Ok can you explain how the cover on the GS3 works coming in and out of your pocket all day? I know some adjustments would need to be made, but I think it could be done. Like someone said you could not put a magnet on aluminum, but there could be other ways. My magnet on my iPad Smart Cover seems pretty strong so I would not really worry about it going in and out of pockets.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
It won't lock the screen. It may stick, but to program the software to let the iPhone do that, then put super strong magnets in it...

The point of it would be to protect the screen when not in use and used as a kick stand. The sleep when closed feature is the least desired out of the three.

b2433a4c6c083463eb4dece9a2d5d309.jpg

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Have fun trying to take a quick photo with a flip case! Flip it open, wrap it around the back and oops, it's blocking the camera. Or hold the cover out with one hand, and trying holding and taking pic with the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.