Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Well so I am looking at using Bluetooth to aux connectors just so that I can cut the cord between my iPhone and the car aux connector. I had rented a Camry on my business trip and it sounded surprisingly great even with its Bluetooth. I thought the Bluetooth might reduce the sound quality but didn't.

These are the two that I short listed.
1. Samsung HS3000
2. Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux.

Out of these the HS3000 supports ATP-X codec which should provide high quality Bluetooth audio and no loss of quality.
I think iPhone 5 also supports ATP-X.

Any review comments please.
Thanks.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Well so I am looking at using Bluetooth to aux connectors just so that I can cut the cord between my iPhone and the car aux connector. I had rented a Camry on my business trip and it sounded surprisingly great even with its Bluetooth. I thought the Bluetooth might reduce the sound quality but didn't.

These are the two that I short listed.
1. Samsung HS3000
2. Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux.

Out of these the HS3000 supports ATP-X codec which should provide high quality Bluetooth audio and no loss of quality.
I think iPhone 5 also supports ATP-X.

Any review comments please.
Thanks.

Why would bluetooth reduce sound quality? It is digital. It should sound the same or better than plugging it into an AUX jack from the headphone port.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Why would bluetooth reduce sound quality? It is digital. It should sound the same or better than plugging it into an AUX jack from the headphone port.

Yes I would have hoped so, but probably I had a very horrible one before since it never sounded as good as the wired connection to aux.
The built in one in my rental car was just awesome. That's why I am looking at buying one - but don't have an intergrated one in the car.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Yes I would have hoped so, but probably I had a very horrible one before since it never sounded as good as the wired connection to aux.
The built in one in my rental car was just awesome. That's why I am looking at buying one - but don't have an intergrated one in the car.

I recently upgraded my cars factory Stereo (its a 01 Camry) with a Sony BT-2800 (older unit) but it works great and only cost me $50 on kijiji. It supports Aux and best of all Bluetooth, I keep my iPhone 5's BT on all the time now and as soon as I enter my car, my Phone is auto paired and ready to play audio, phone calls etc.

For me that was a cheaper solution as installation and wiring harness were cheap as well ($30 for dash kit+wiring harness).

I would suggest if you don't need to use that bluetooth clip thing outside of your car to just get a Single Din- Sony BT-xxxx series stereo. Mine I thought wouldnt be that great because of the microphone being built into the faceplate but to my surprise the sound quality is great as I have yet to hear from anyone that they cant hear me.

Most new Sony BT-xxxx series come with external microphone which can be mounted on the windshield and its pretty tiny but supposedly provides better audio quality. Anyway try it out see if it floats your boat:)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Not quite. "Digital" isn't a guarantee of quality. My cable TV service & my movies on Bluray are both digital but the latter beats the former in image quality. It seems that you're assuming that BT is lossless, not susceptible to interference, etc.

Have you actually used SBC (used by A2DP) or aptX and compared them to wired or are you just speculating? Here's one person's impression (the first hit I ran across Googling "bluetooth audio quality"):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57445372-47/bluetooth-audio-vs-wires/

Last edited:

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Try tunelink auto by new potato and tell me how it works. I'm really curious about that and I'm in Canada so I can't test it out.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Not quite. "Digital" isn't a guarantee of quality. My cable TV service & my movies on Bluray are both digital but the latter beats the former in image quality. It seems that you're assuming that BT is lossless, not susceptible to interference, etc.

Have you actually used SBC (used by A2DP) or aptX and compared them to wired or are you just speculating? Here's one person's impression (the first hit I ran across Googling "bluetooth audio quality"):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57445372-47/bluetooth-audio-vs-wires/

I have Bluetooth and aux in my car. The sound actually sounds better via Bluetooth.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
I have XtremeMac InCharge Bluetooth Audio Receiver which is very similar to Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux. It was only $15 and works like a charm. Plus it can also charge the iPhone in case of emergency.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Looking for a BT receiver supporting AVRCP so I can have some minimal iPhone control, ideally via a steering wheel attachment.

Seen any?

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I have XtremeMac InCharge Bluetooth Audio Receiver which is very similar to Griffin technology Bluetrip Aux. It was only $15 and works like a charm. Plus it can also charge the iPhone in case of emergency.

Great that's good to know.
I don't know the cost justification of Griffin. But I just know that griffin products are available in apple stores so maybe that's the price tag I guess.
Does anyone know if griffin Bluetrip has apt-x codec since it is supposed to be one of the best in streaming music and providing lossless stream.

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Great that's good to know.
I don't know the cost justification of Griffin. But I just know that griffin products are available in apple stores so maybe that's the price tag I guess.
Does anyone know if griffin Bluetrip has apt-x codec since it is supposed to be one of the best in streaming music and providing lossless stream.

keep in mind that the quality of the music is also depends on your in-car speakers. I doubt you would tell much of difference unless you have the B&O. Just my $.02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.