Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kflanary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
I had a base 27" with fusion on order. Then changed to the 3.2 with fusion. In the meantime I kept checking with the local apple stores and finally, yesterday, I got my hands on a 3.4GHz i7 with fusion with the 680MX. I didn't really need that much but it was worth the extra $350 to not have to wait another month and on top of that, I got a better machine. So far it's great! I've had lots of macs but never an iMac. Loving the gorgeous 27" screen and VERY glad I didn't go for the 21" that I originally wanted. The extra real estate is awesome considering I have LOTS of open apps/windows at any given point. The Bettersnap tool is AWESOME to help manage that. I do get a beach ball every now and then which surprises me, but overall it's great.

I just say check in every few days with your local store if you are purchasing the top of the line. Mine had a couple when I went. They don't get many but they are starting to get more and you never know when you might find one!!

kflanary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
1 TB - that's all they are carrying in stock at the stores from what I understand.

kflanary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
In Raleigh, NC they carry both base level 21's and both base level 27's. The only BTO they carry is the top of the line 3.4GHz i7 680 fusion. That's the only fusion they are going to carry, at least initially. HOWEVER - they rarely have any in stock. It's been hit or miss with any of them. But they are getting in the top of the line once in awhile which is nice to know based on what I see a lot of folks ordering here at least.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Actually the i7, 680MX, 1TB fusion carried in retail stores is not BTO, it is a standard store configuration, listed under part # MD580LL/A, model # A1419. The BTO version has part # Z0MS.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Awesome!

I have a 27" Cinema Display (so the same display as what you have in your iMac), and I absolutely love it. It's gorgeous!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The Bettersnap tool is AWESOME to help manage that.

I do get a beach ball every now and then which surprises me, but overall it's great.

Bettersnap looks good. But are you sure it's not causing the beachball?

When do you get the beachball? I've not had one yet.

kflanary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Actually the i7, 680MX, 1TB fusion carried in retail stores is not BTO, it is a standard store configuration, listed under part # MD580LL/A, model # A1419. The BTO version has part # Z0MS.

Ahhhh I didn't realize that! I did see that it was listed on the little ipad thing as something they were going to be carrying all the time. I guess I just assumed it was BTO since it wasn't listed on the website as a standard configuration. I assume since the specs are the same there are no other differences but the part number?

----------

Bettersnap looks good. But are you sure it's not causing the beachball?

When do you get the beachball? I've not had one yet.

I've had it a couple of times - it's surprised me. I'll have to pay attention to exactly what I'm doing next time!

loicg

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
hey,

Same for me here in Luxembourg: I was ready to wait one painfull month for my 27" online order, so a month without imac at home (I sold my 21.5"), and I saw one supermarket distributing some, I went on the 27", basic one, and despite I planned to get the fusion drive, I will quickly (in a couple of months or so) replace it by a ssd.

I love this imac, no regret with the 27". And because I also work on some app in the meantime, I like to just sweep my two fingers on the mouse to access my other desktop: never used that feature before but very efficient in fact!

kflanary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
At least you talked yourself into a cheaper iMac. I went about $500 in the wrong direction!! LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.