Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I hope this is in the right area. This evening my wife mentioned going back to a basic U-Verse package and then watch the shows she likes via her new MBA and Hulu!

I have no idea how to do any of this, but recall Air Play. Can someone guide me on this? Thanks so much.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I hope this is in the right area. This evening my wife mentioned going back to a basic U-Verse package and then watch the shows she likes via her new MBA and Hulu!

I have no idea how to do any of this, but recall Air Play. Can someone guide me on this? Thanks so much.

You have to be more specific. Is this a question about how to use airplay? Or is it about the viability of watching shows that way?

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
You have to be more specific. Is this a question about how to use airplay? Or is it about the viability of watching shows that way?

Spork183: i think how to use Airplay. Is it a difficult setup? Do I have to have a Smart TV? Etc?

I figure she can figure out what service to use to get her shows, movies etc. she mentioned, Hulu and Netflix. I know we can rent/buy movies via iTunes.

It's all about economics, with the U-Verse package she has, I bet we pay $200 a month. HuluPlus is like $7.99 a month and Netflix maybe $10. Airply just seems a cheaper route to go.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
We use appleTV which has Netflix and Hulu available as menu options, AirPlay (stream) from computer, or access iTunes libraries on your computers. AppleTV costs about $100, little black cube that sit next to your TV, connects via HDMI. I believe they are about to refresh AppleTV.

There are other options, might want to browse the home theater forum.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Spork183: i think how to use Airplay. Is it a difficult setup? Do I have to have a Smart TV? Etc?

I figure she can figure out what service to use to get her shows, movies etc. she mentioned, Hulu and Netflix. I know we can rent/buy movies via iTunes.

It's all about economics, with the U-Verse package she has, I bet we pay $200 a month. HuluPlus is like $7.99 a month and Netflix maybe $10. Airply just seems a cheaper route to go.

As BBucy said, simplest route is with an Apple TV. One time cost of $100. With that, and Mountain Lion, Airplay is a piece of cake. But you must have Mountain Lion (10.8). With that and an Apple TV, it is literally just hitting the icon at the top of your computer screen and making sure the TV input is the Apple TV. You don't need a smart TV, just a TV connected to Apple TV. It will display whatever is on your computer screen.

You can also use the Apple TV direct without the computer, to view Netflix, Hulu, etc. Check it out.
http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

tawcat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Super thanks so much for all the feedback. I'll post again when the wife makes a decision and it all worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.