Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Where would you get BL2??

The Mac App Store has it for cheaper and it has it's own exclusives but game play is mac 2 mac only..

or

Get the Steam version for full price, have their own exclusives and the ability to play with PC users(as the patches permit)..

I'm torn..

sniffs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
that's what I'm leaning towards.. I just like the integration with the app store and game center, etc..

If you read the comments, you see that the Mac app store version has like 25 or something world-wide players.. that's sad. The Steam version obviously has alot more.

I wonder if this is an artificial limitation Apple imposed.. obviously the game works cross platform.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
Yes it is steam all the way and u get the windows version and steam has great deals on dlc from time to time

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Steam all the way. Cross platform, and it's always nice to have both OSX and Windows versions of the game.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Steam.

I don't think the Mac version has multiplayer support, and when it does it'll be through GameCentre- to the best of my knowledge, nobody has actually tried to run a large game like BL2 through GameCentre. So who knows how well that'll work.

The Steam version, however, works fine OOTB. I'm not a fan of Steam at all (in fact I think it's a piece of crap), but for a game like BL2 that is so heavily invested in providing a decent multiplayer experience- you'll have the most fun playing the Steam version, because that's where everyone else is.

-SC

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The Steam version, however, works fine OOTB. I'm not a fan of Steam at all (in fact I think it's a piece of crap)

So you prefer Steam, but still think it's a piece of crap. Please elaborate on what makes it a piece of crap. I'm really curious as I have yet to download Steam onto my Mac. What would I like about Steam, and what things about Steam would I not like? An honest question.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
So you prefer Steam, but still think it's a piece of crap. Please elaborate on what makes it a piece of crap. I'm really curious as I have yet to download Steam onto my Mac. What would I like about Steam, and what things about Steam would I not like? An honest question.

steam has the best sales on games and it runs great on my iMac and the community is pretty good lots of groups and has great support for lots of mac games and supports steamplay
i cant find a reason not to like it
and if u dont what platform do you prefer??

and all of valves games runs great for Mac and they get released at the same time and valve makes great games!!

kierend

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Get it on steam so you can play with both mac and PC friends when they eventually sync the versions. BL2 is all about Co-op.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Definitly Steam.

With the App Store you are at Apple's mercy to support multiplayer through game center.

With Steam you are at Valve's mercy to support multiplayer through Steam.

While I would prefer a DRM free and truly independent (like stand alone) multiplayer technology, in the long run Steam has proven to be quite reliable. So far they did not break anything for the games I purchased.

With Apple we all know that Apple likes to sacrifice compatibility with last years technology on the altar of new technologies. Just think of your OS9 games which worked in Rosetta. Well, no more Rosetta, because ... simply because Apple said so. Apple never had a strong history to keep existing things running for too long. So I expect that concerning games, Steam is the better option.

BTW, you might want to read this about the different BL2 versions:

http://blog.gameagent.com/special-report-the-multiplayer-battle-between-steam-and-the-mac-app-store/

sniffs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Welp, that answers that.

So it seems if we want cross platform play get the game through Steam.

If it's a single player only game, probably best(cheaper) to get through App Store?

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
It's pretty much always cheaper to get it from Steam compared to App Store. Steam has such great deals.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
i would go ahead and say get all your games from steam lol
great sales and more variety and you get cloud sync for all your games and u get the windows version :D

sniffs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Well I see quite a few games are cheaper on the App store and even has games that aren't available through Steam, such as Borderlands 1

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
true there are some game not on steam such as borderlands 1 and also batman but not sure but like before the app store doesn't have the sales steam has like i got Civ 5 and all expansions packs for 14 dollars and i got portal 2 for 2.99 and left for dead 2 for 4.99 and all dlc is free for those games so its freakin sweet

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Steam good, Steam bad

I'm not ScottishCaptain, but I'm a Steam user who doesn't like it much. I use it for the advantages:
1. Access to wide array of games;
2. Periodic sales allow accumulation of a great library of games at crazy-good prices;
3. Community of other users and in-Steam friends.

The disadvantages (or minor annoyances) are:
1. Extremely poor, clunky, and slow customer support. I could go into greater detail if you want (in the meantime look up Kafkaesque);
2. Steam controls your access to games. If Steam won't let you log in you're screwed until they give you your access back;
3. The Steam client uses non-standard UI elements. For example scroll bars in Steam act differently than real scroll bars.
4. Steam is designed like a bunch of web pages puked up in no particular order or thought to how to navigate to what you want.

allfunandgames

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Definitely Steam, great multiplayer integration, chat, cloud saves, marketplace, trading, gifting...plus you own it on Mac and PC.

Ultimately Borderlands 2 is all about multiplayer (and loot!), and Steam is the best place to find other players. For cross-platform games, they must be patched to the same version, so there can be a small lag between the PC and Mac versions.
But regardless there is an active and healthy Mac Borderlands community, with over 700 Mac players in this group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BordelandsMac

It is also worth highlighting the job that Aspyr has done with the port too. Borderlands 2 was released 2 months after the PC version on Steam, which must be close to a record for a AAA title ported by a separate distributor. Also, my iMac is essentially the minimum requirement, yet it runs fine.

Go get it! :apple:

----------

Borderlands 2 DLC competition on this thread too - 1 copy left I think!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1525030/

:apple:

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I personally go towards the MAS...

+ I fear the day Steam goes under, with its crapy DRMs.
+ It's easier to install on multiple machine with the MAS, or run it from multiple accounts.
+ In my region MAS is cheaper than Steam.

- Multiplayer incompatibilities are so 90s, still Steam would offer more players.
- While Steamplay is a good feature, I haven't run Windows on any of my machines in a very long time.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I personally go towards the MAS...

+ I fear the day Steam goes under, with its crapy DRMs.
+ It's easier to install on multiple machine with the MAS, or run it from multiple accounts.
+ In my region MAS is cheaper than Steam.

- Multiplayer incompatibilities are so 90s, still Steam would offer more players.
- While Steamplay is a good feature, I haven't run Windows on any of my machines in a very long time.

I got the MAS version myself. I just appreciate the easier installation and keeping all my purchases under my Apple ID is convenient for me. Multiple machine installs is awesome as well, but in the case of a game like Borderlands, iCloud syncing and saves would be even better.

The anemic multiplayer options on the MAS is a bag of hurt though...Is there any way for Game Center match making on the MAS version? Or multiplayer only possibly via Game Center friend invites?

sschmelcke

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Just upgraded to the macstore 1.3.2 version and lost my save games. 20 hours down the drain. spectacular

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
i understand why some people use the MAS because of convince and ease of managing and everything apple and all, but seriously there is no compare to the steam version because you can play online with all users and the MAS only lets you play with people on game center
which is whack by the way.....but the game is still fun either way i just prefer to play with people since it is a co op game

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.