Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

havoc501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I was wondering how the unlimited data is tied to your account? Is it via the SIM card? Because I had an old 3G iPhone on unlimited data that I stopped using when the 4 came out. I upgraded to a 4, and then a 4S in the fall of 2011. When I upgraded to the 4S, my dad decided he wanted to try out a smartphone, and decided to use my old 3G. By this time, AT&T had stopped giving out their unlimited data plan. However, when we "re-activated" my old 3G, I was surprised that we were able to have the unlimited data on both the 3G, and MY current iPhone.

Does anyone know why this was possible? I am about to go overseas for a year or more and was going to cancel my AT&T subscription while I am away.... however, I fear that I will lose my unlimited data plan forever. Anyone know why I was able to get the unlimited plan on my old 3G after it was sitting around for over a year on no AT&T plan????

Thanks.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Not sure, you should ask AT&T for detailed account information. What you can do or if you can suspend your service for a year or more etc...
The unlimited data package is tied to your line/phone number. Not to the phone.
If you want to keep it you gotta be carefull cause once you switch it to a different tired data package then it will be gone for good.

havoc501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Unlimited data plan follows the number, not the device.

Ok, but that still doesn't explain why I was able to use my old 3G and get unlimited data on my dad's line, who was using a flip phone prior to using my 3G.

havoc501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Check your AT&T online account to confirm it is unlimited and not just unmetered pay-as-you-go data (which is the most expensive type).

Yes, when looking at the "Wireless Usage Details" and under "Web", both phone numbers say "Data_Unlimited"

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yes, when looking at the "Wireless Usage Details" and under "Web", both phone numbers say "Data_Unlimited"

Weird... if it turns out to be truly unlimited, guard that plan with your life. Also, don't give out specifics. If its a glitch in AT&T's system, lets not close the hole. That is how the 1st Gen iPhone lost the $20 unlimited plan, due to people abusing the system.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
That is how the 1st Gen iPhone lost the $20 unlimited plan, due to people abusing the system.

It did? I just upgraded from an original iPhone to an iPhone 5 in late December 2012, and my unlimited data plan moved forward to my new phone.

Was it just this month (January 2013) that this stopped?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It did? I just upgraded from an original iPhone to an iPhone 5 in late December 2012, and my unlimited data plan moved forward to my new phone.

Was it just this month (January 2013) that this stopped?

Yes that's always the case.
You can upgrade with AT&T and keep it. But once you switch to a different metered plan then the old unlimited is gone for good.
Op we can't tell what was on your plan or when, how, why.
Only AT&T can really look into that and tell you what happened exactly and why.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
That's some luck right there OP. Is there any way you can screenshot your Unlimited Data plan to see if it's the right one? Maybe you're mistaking the $30 unlimited data plan for dumbphones, who knows.

But like someone else said, hold on to that plan man. :D

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I believe others can benefit from this question as well

If I buy an iphone outright and I’m coming to the end of my two year subsidized contract on my iphone 4; I go to a Verizon or an At&t store and just have them transfer the number to the new phone and that’s it? Carry on with my current plan automatically with no changes...or is it not as simple as that?

Regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.