Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I got the 1TB fusion drive in my mini and its fantastic. Very speedy and feels like a regular SSD, but with storage.

Apple's software to control the fusion drive is really intelligent too. I let it do all the work which is nice for a change!

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I löve it.

I no longer do the old "meh, ill do that later" when the ´puter wants me to re-start it cuz it re-boots in no time.

Copying photos from the SD card slot is super fast.

Application start-ups are fast too.

I feel it was well worth the extra cash to get the super drive!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all - I am in the process of ordering a mid-level Mac mini and am debating between the Fusion Drive and the 256gb SSD. I believe I've read through all the relevant threads here (and I've searched elsewhere) and I still haven't reached any conclusions.

Now that people have had both types of machines for a few days, are there any clear deficiencies to the Fusion Drive? In terms of real world experience, is the 256gb SSD faster/better? If so, is it material? I've seen very competitive benchmarks for the Fusion Drive, but as a casual user I'm not sure if that is the most relevant metric.

So, I guess I'm really wondering what the consensus is now - does Fusion Drive make more sense if you aren't sure you need the 256gb SSD? Advice is appreciated - I would love to finalize my order today. Thanks to all.

Go Fusion. For one, it's cheaper than the 256GB SSD, just as fast (more or less), and it leaves you with more capacity. See Macworld's benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.