Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I said this the other day as well. I love AAPL and I hate AAPL. Love it cuz of the money it's made me, hate it cuz of how easy it is to incite a mass sell off of the stock! They'll rebound, I have no doubt, but boys you better be ready for the long because it's gonna be a while lol

20130124_Cap4.jpg

It can be really way too long. Look at the MSFT graph from 1996-2001 applied to current AAPL graph. MSFT never reached the peak again and still trading around 30 for more than 10 years. At their peak MSFT also was growing company with huge profit and stable financial results, but simply cant grow so fast anymore. And it was enough.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013

It can be really way too long. Look at the MSFT graph from 1996-2001 applied to current AAPL graph. MSFT never reached the peak again and still trading around 30 for more than 10 years. At their peak MSFT also was growing company with huge profit and stable financial results, but simply cant grow so fast anymore. And it was enough.

Yeah that's what scares me. 12% in one day is not something that you can take lightly. Sure they had a monster qtr, but if you're an investor (like myself, and I assume you) that doesn't matter.

I want to stay long on AAPL just because they've made me realize dreams beyond my wildest imagination (multiple sells and buys), but like I said, at this point, if you're not in long then you need to exit haha

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I have a hard time believing we're going to go the whole year and get nothing more than a refresh of iPhone 5 internals.

Exactly. Just look at Apple's recent capital expenditures. Something (most likely many somethings) are afoot. But the analysts who follow the stock are too short term oriented and worry more about how capital expenditures squeeze today's margins as opposed to how such expenses can propel long term growth.

Apple stock has gotten ridiculously cheap from a value point perspective. It hasn't been at as good a value point as it is now since the depth of the world economic crisis in 2008.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Exactly. Just look at Apple's recent capital expenditures. Something (most likely many somethings) are afoot. But the analysts who follow the stock are too short term oriented and worry more about how capital expenditures squeeze today's margins as opposed to how such expenses can propel long term growth.

Apple stock has gotten ridiculously cheap from a value point perspective. It hasn't been at as good a value point as it is now since the depth of the world economic crisis in 2008.

If your short on AAPL, escape immediately. If you're long, sit back and relax. LOL...what a stock.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
A good company is one that makes good products, makes money, doesn't lay off employees, and has happy employees.

The stock market doesn't think so. They think a good company is one who projects astronomical growth for the future irregardless of whether they have a sound business plan that makes sense, and irregardless of how much money they are making TODAY. It's all smoke, mirrors and HOPE.

Good, solid companies are shunned, because why put your money into something steady and make 5% on your money year over year? Let's bet the farm and make 100-200% every 3 months! Get rich quick!

That's the sad state of the stock market now.

Heh, you know that "irregardless" isn't a considered a word, right? Use "regardless" or "irrespective."

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Heh, you know that "irregardless" isn't a considered a word, right? Use "regardless" or "irrespective."
Actually, it is. It's just nonstandard and while frowned upon in formal usage, I don't think most people would count MacRumors as formal. If it's not a word, it wouldn't be listed in all the dictionaries, right? :) Just consider it a colloquialism. Like "ain't".

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Actually, it is. It's just nonstandard and while frowned upon in formal usage, I don't think most people would count MacRumors as formal. If it's not a word, it wouldn't be listed in all the dictionaries, right? :) Just consider it a colloquialism. Like "ain't".

I'm sorry, but those are things I just cannot approve of.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
I've been saying for months that Apple should split the stock 3:1 in order to ease the pressure of a high priced share. There's too much drama surrounding $700 shares, and people have become obsessed over how high it would go. I'm sure Apple loved the celebrity status and all the buzz, but it's getting to the point where the paparazzi are chasing them into a tunnel. A split would make it much less important, and the market would stop buzzing so much.

----------

No. No.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But the analysts who follow the stock are too short term oriented and worry more about how capital expenditures squeeze today's margins as opposed to how such expenses can propel long term growth.
I wonder if these are some of the same analysts who follow Amazon. Because they're certainly not applying this logic to that company.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Yes it is. It's probably along the lines of the word ain't.

According to Merriam-Webster:
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Irregardless is the most 'bad@$$' word: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9796217-1.html

It's the only word where attaching the "ir-" prefix to the root word has the exact same meaning as the root word: Throwing an "ir-" in front of normal, less bad-ass words that begin with "R" changes the meaning to the opposite of the word. Irrefutable. Irreverent. Irrelevant. Irresponsible. Not "irregardless." It doesn't care what the rules of grammar are. It means exactly the same thing as "regardless," and that's the way it likes it.

Against all odds, against all logic, and (ir)regardless of everyone hating it, it has achieved official word status: How can you not pull for the underdog in this case? "Irregardless" went up against the rules of grammar, stick-by-the-book lexicographers, and the fact that it's a completely redundant word. Didn't matter. Whatever didn't kill it made it stronger. It's the hardest-working word in the dictionary, and it should have earned your respect by now.

Even though it's a word, Merriam-Webster says you shouldn't use it: Can you name another word in the dictionary that the dictionary says you shouldn't use? Even really bad swear words don't have a dictionary-imposed boycott. That just makes me want to use it more.

It simultaneously makes sense and doesn't make sense: You can think of the word in one of two ways: (1) it should mean the opposite of "regardless," or something along the lines of "keeping the facts in regard," or (2) it could mean "regardless of the fact that something is regardless." The latter of the two is like double-super regardless, and it's the meaning I prefer. "Irregardless" really, really doesn't care what the facts are or what you think. It should only be used in extreme circumstances, such as when a course of action is ridiculously counterintuitive. "Irregardless of the fact that you are very thirsty, you should eat this pile of salt." Stuff like that.

It practices what it preaches: Irregardless of the rules of grammar, "irregardless" is a word. It's self-reflexive. It's the exception that proves the rule. It talks the talk and walks the walk. Is there another word like that? No, because "irregardless" is bad-ass. It is a text-based Chuck Norris, roundhouse-kicking everything else in the dictionary into submission.

If you think about it long enough, it will blow your mind: It's the Mobius Strip of words, but it's also packed with Eminem's aggressively apathetic attitude. It's completely unique, completely confusing, and it couldn't give a rat's ass about any of that. It just is what it is. If you don't like it, don't use it.

So that's my argument. I think "irregardless" should be embraced and celebrated. And damn it, I'm going to use it every chance I get.

MitchelS

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
If I can get $1 for every time they use the word innovation I will be richer than Apple.

Every time an Apple employee opens his or her mouth they just have to force the word innovation in there somewhere...

That's because what Apple is selling is innovation. And unfortunately they haven't been innovating lately. Hence, the fall in the stock price. Without the next "New Thing", Apple is just producing commodities- electronic knicknacks.
Now everybody is selling smart phones. Apple needs a new idea

----------

If I can get $1 for every time they use the word innovation I will be richer than Apple.

Every time an Apple employee opens his or her mouth they just have to force the word innovation in there somewhere...

That's because what Apple is selling is innovation. And unfortunately they haven't been innovating lately. Hence, the fall in the stock price. Without the next "New Thing", Apple is just producing commodities- electronic knicknacks.
Now everybody is selling smart phones. Apple needs a new idea

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Isn't that the truth. Heck someone here today bragged about selling their Apple stock, buying Nokia and making 60%. Yet Nokia is down over 5% today because of a grim outlook and the fact they're not paying their 2012 dividend. I haven't sold any of my AAPL shares because I'm in it for the long term.

This is a dumb attitude to have. Its possible/probable, that 740ish was the Apple peak and that in the slide from 740 to 440, you left $300/share in profit on the table.

Vegas is littered with tales of people that didn't cash in their chips when they were ahead.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
This is a dumb attitude to have. Its possible/probable, that 740ish was the Apple peak and that in the slide from 740 to 440, you left $300/share in profit on the table.

Vegas is littered with tales of people that didn't cash in their chips when they were ahead.

The bulls and bears make money, the pigs get slaughtered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.