Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
My Imac will be here in 4 days. I was going to get a Magic Mouse, but it seems like it has huge problems in battery life. There are multiple threads about this with the average life being in the 3-5 week range. Looks like a nice product, but I can't handle this kind of life. How can Apple market a product like this?

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Like all of these things, I guess it depends on how much you use it. I seem to remember getting more than that from my magic mouse. But, as with anything with batteries it was always demanding fresh ones at the most inconvenient time. I got a mobee charger pad for it and that worked a treat. Just put it on the pad when idle and it induction charged your battery pack.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Like all of these things, I guess it depends on how much you use it. I seem to remember getting more than that from my magic mouse. But, as with anything with batteries it was always demanding fresh ones at the most inconvenient time. I got a mobee charger pad for it and that worked a treat. Just put it on the pad when idle and it induction charged your battery pack.

I'll look at the Mobee, but for about $15 I have a Logitech mouse that has a very small usb transceiver. Batteries are good for about a year. If Apple had that technology, they would sell more Magic Mouses. I could live with a very small usb plugin from Apple.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
I use mine every day for hours, And still haven't changed batteries. The imac upstairs also with magic mouse has been going for months. used everyday..

Dont worry about what you read just get it use it and deal with how it performs..

it will be fine.

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
I don't know what those people do with their magic mouses, but I have one and used it (everyday) for over 4 months now and battery is still like 70%.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
My Magic Mouse eats batteries faster than my keyboard or trackpad. It's also connects disconnects often when the batteries are under 25%.
Out of all the 3 the trackpad is the most reliable in terms of Bluetooth connection and eats the least amount if batteries. I'm on my 8th keyboard although some of those failures have been caused by my getting tiny drops of water on them.

I like the mouse. I also like the idea of the induction charger but don't want more wires on my desk and I think it's USB powered. I don't generally have any spare

I just buy Duracell batteries in industrial sized packs from Costco

Last edited:

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I get about 2 months out of mine. I use it a lot and my iMac is never turned off either so the mouse would be running too...

What's the problem with changing batteries anyway? Takes less than a minute out of your life.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I use rechargeable batteries, and have to replace them once every 2 months on average. Don't see what the big deal is. You will get the warning message way in advance, and that leaves plenty of time for you to pop the batteries into the charger overnight and wake up to them fully charged and ready to use.

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
I use my Magic Mouse for hours every day. It's the best mouse I have ever used. These people that are complaining about battery life must be using cheap generic batteries because I have never experienced a short battery life on mine.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
My Imac will be here in 4 days. I was going to get a Magic Mouse, but it seems like it has huge problems in battery life. There are multiple threads about this with the average life being in the 3-5 week range. Looks like a nice product, but I can't handle this kind of life. How can Apple market a product like this?

What every one else said, use it and see for yourself ; ) The battery life so far has been great for me (subjectively speaking and in comparison with other mice I used)

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006

I get about 4-5 months out of mine. iMac is always on, but I do sleep it at night.

But seriously, think about what you said. Even at worst case scenario, changing your batteries (>minute) once every 21 days? That is a deal breaker? Ouch. Hate to be your cell phone... :D

4Hummer

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Mobee Magic Charger

ffee2447b152494b43d9816faaea83c8_XL.jpg

Problem Solved. Just place your mouse on the inductive charger once and awhile, and you will always have a toped up battery

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.