Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Hi. Since about 2 weeks ago I noticed my brand new iphone 4s has play in the home button. It wiggles up and down slightly, and you can see it, as it's a white iphone and you can see a small black gap inbetween the top and bottom edges of the button. Also wiggles side to side without the black gaps.
This is with deliberate movement of the finger, the button isn't being pressed, but with the movement of my thumb I can feel/see the movement.

It's still perfectly functional and I am very greatful for that, but this clearly disappoints me. As any other phone I've ever had, their buttons were tight and perfect. (also not even half of the price the iphone is) I purchased the iphone because my mother owns an ipad that is absolutely amazing to function. I will praise itunes all day. Their app service isn't as messy as androids, their music is easy and a chimp could even do it. That area of apple products amazes me.

I am OCD when it comes to expensive items, and this bit my pocket quite hard. When you buy something expensive you expect it to be quite immaculate.
Also when light is on the back you can see a slight shadow of the apple logo that was misplaced and replaced in a different position leaving a glass apple logo with a shadow effect to it. You can only see this in natural light, artificial light shines on the glass and you can't see it as well.
That doesn't concern me too much as it lives in it's case anyway and no one really would ever see it.

My main concern is the button, as it's the most toyed with button on the iphone.
Currently I am in no position to be able to get it replaced, it is under warranty yes, but I made the mistake of ordering it from my countries online apple store and not a country service provider (vodafone etc), but we don't have any apple stores in my country.
I rang apple with this issue and these were my options.

1. Send the phone to them and expect 7 days for it to arrive after they have checked the phone and packaged and sent a new one.

This wasn't going to work as I need my phone for work/school, it isn't very useful if my boss texts me and I don't even have my phone.

2. Pay 60ish dollars for them to send it first then I send my original back.
I'm a student with unpredictable shifts and I need to keep whatever money I have to survive and not potentially receive an even worse iphone. I have researched this to the bone and noticed a lot of people replace and get a phone that's either worse or has other annoying defects.

The hole for the button was either cut too big, or the button was made too small.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS: Is this normal, has anybody else have this affect, or had it before?
In the end will this affect the performance of the device?

Sorry about the long read. I would really like some constructive feedback.
Thankyou and all suggestions/opinions are welcome

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Hi. Since about 2 weeks ago I noticed my brand new iphone 4s has play in the home button. It wiggles up and down slightly, and you can see it, as it's a white iphone and you can see a small black gap inbetween the top and bottom edges of the button. Also wiggles side to side without the black gaps.
This is with deliberate movement of the finger, the button isn't being pressed, but with the movement of my thumb I can feel/see the movement.

It's still perfectly functional and I am very greatful for that, but this clearly disappoints me. As any other phone I've ever had, their buttons were tight and perfect. (also not even half of the price the iphone is) I purchased the iphone because my mother owns an ipad that is absolutely amazing to function. I will praise itunes all day. Their app service isn't as messy as androids, their music is easy and a chimp could even do it. That area of apple products amazes me.

I am OCD when it comes to expensive items, and this bit my pocket quite hard. When you buy something expensive you expect it to be quite immaculate.
Also when light is on the back you can see a slight shadow of the apple logo that was misplaced and replaced in a different position leaving a glass apple logo with a shadow effect to it. You can only see this in natural light, artificial light shines on the glass and you can't see it as well.
That doesn't concern me too much as it lives in it's case anyway and no one really would ever see it.

My main concern is the button, as it's the most toyed with button on the iphone.
Currently I am in no position to be able to get it replaced, it is under warranty yes, but I made the mistake of ordering it from my countries online apple store and not a country service provider (vodafone etc), but we don't have any apple stores in my country.
I rang apple with this issue and these were my options.

1. Send the phone to them and expect 7 days for it to arrive after they have checked the phone and packaged and sent a new one.

This wasn't going to work as I need my phone for work/school, it isn't very useful if my boss texts me and I don't even have my phone.

2. Pay 60ish dollars for them to send it first then I send my original back.
I'm a student with unpredictable shifts and I need to keep whatever money I have to survive and not potentially receive an even worse iphone. I have researched this to the bone and noticed a lot of people replace and get a phone that's either worse or has other annoying defects.

The hole for the button was either cut too big, or the button was made too small.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS: Is this normal, has anybody else have this affect, or had it before?
In the end will this affect the performance of the device?

Sorry about the long read. I would really like some constructive feedback.
Thankyou and all suggestions/opinions are welcome

I've replaced my 4S 5 times all due to home button issues. My current one is also having similar issue as described by you...but it's now outside of warranty period.

call again and escalate it to a senior advisor, they can give you express replacement for free.

yes, it will affect your device in the long run and then once it's out of warranty, you are stuck with either replacing the button yourself or just live with the problem.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I've replaced my 4S 5 times all due to home button issues. My current one is also having similar issue as described by you...but it's now outside of warranty period.

call again and escalate it to a senior advisor, they can give you express replacement for free.

Yes the person who managed me was extremely difficult.

When I said I couldn't afford the apple warranty extend, or the 60 dollar express fee, he just replied with "Oh" and directed me to the end of the conversation and suggested I call back at a later date.

But replaced 5 times? that must be a bit annoying. What happened with each of the phones? like did they all have wobbly home button problems as such?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Yes the person who managed me was extremely difficult.

When I said I couldn't afford the apple warranty extend, or the 60 dollar express fee, he just replied with "Oh" and directed me to the end of the conversation and suggested I call back at a later date.

But replaced 5 times? that must be a bit annoying. What happened with each of the phones? like did they all have wobbly home button problems as such?

3 times were due to wobbly home button
2 times were due to a loud cracking sound that the button makes before I even fully press down on it

It's ridiculous as I use my phone pretty gently

I guess this is part of their strategy to make you purchase a new phone every 2 years or less.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
3 times were due to wobbly home button
2 times were due to a loud cracking sound that the button makes before I even fully press down on it

It's ridiculous as I use my phone pretty gently

I guess this is part of their strategy to make you purchase a new phone every 2 years or less.
It's a good phone apart from this defect we both share. Which is why it makes me really disappointed.

I guess the brand makes them so expensive.
I have found many windows laptops that would run the mac over and are half the price.

And yeah, I don't abuse my phone in anyway, I have quite little soft fingers and I don't press the button with any force but how it's meant to be pressed.

I did compare my 4S to my sister and her boyfriends iphone 4 though. Both of their buttons are more easily pressed, mine feels like it travels a bit to be pressed. And their phones both have snug comfy buttons.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Live your life and don't sweat the small stuff. You're going to stress, type novels online, and do a lot of legwork to get a new, perfect phone and then you're going to drop it or it will get run over or something. That's how it always works. There are so many things that could happen that will make your "slightly loose home button" a non-issue. Go LIVE LIFE and this will be put into perspective.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Live your life and don't sweat the small stuff. You're going to stress, type novels online, and do a lot of legwork to get a new, perfect phone and then you're going to drop it or it will get run over or something. That's how it always works. There are so many things that could happen that will make your "slightly loose home button" a non-issue. Go LIVE LIFE and this will be put into perspective.

This reply is amazing. Because you are right, if I go to all the trouble I'll probably drop it on a sharp rock (I have done this) and iphones are notorious for breaking.

It is a small issue, but an issue I thought I would discuss with everyone anywho. I wanted opinions and I thank you for this one. It truly is just a little rectangle with bits and pieces inside. An expensive device at that though. But you are right, that's another reason to why I've held back and not picked at my pocket I already emptied lol

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm starting to get a popping sound/bit of play on the home button on my iPhone 5. Debating whether I should take it in. On one hand, it doesn't seem to affect anything except annoy me a bit. On the other: it annoys me.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This reply is amazing. Because you are right, if I go to all the trouble I'll probably drop it on a sharp rock (I have done this) and iphones are notorious for breaking.

It is a small issue, but an issue I thought I would discuss with everyone anywho. I wanted opinions and I thank you for this one. It truly is just a little rectangle with bits and pieces inside. An expensive device at that though. But you are right, that's another reason to why I've held back and not picked at my pocket I already emptied lol

sorry to be so blunt. I suppose I should share my story. Long story short, I sent my very first iPhone back (4s) for a similar "non-issue" type issue and got a new one. Perfect one. Kept in an otterbox commuter case with a front AND back screen protector. The thing was flawless... not a scratch, mark, click, or tint to be seen. Fast forward just over a year and the 5 comes out, I get it and give my wife my old (perfect) 4s. She carries it for two months. I call her one evening at 5:50PM. We talk briefly (2min.) and hang up. I call her back 15 min later and it goes straight to VM. She frantically calls me from a friends phone... her phone (my old phone) is gone. Haven't seen it since then.

Moral of the story: Don't sweat the small stuff. I went through a lot of trouble to return the phone and get a "perfect" one. Honestly, it was my first ever iPhone and I really wanted to keep it for a long time. I intended to retire it to iPod duty after it's tenure in my wife's posession.

I could share a similar story about my first ever brand new vehicle that i bought with all available options. Put a lot of time, sweat, and blood into that thing... It was awesome. The rest of the story involves a dump truck full of rocks and now a bad back/neck... but I won't go into detail on that one.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My girlfriends phone just started doing this about a week ago, I'm wondering if it will work itself out after a little more use? Has anybody had the problem go away once it started?

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
My girlfriends phone just started doing this about a week ago, I'm wondering if it will work itself out after a little more use? Has anybody had the problem go away once it started?
A few people have told me just to keep it it's a surreal issue. Others have said sweat from your thumb and dirt will build up inside it over time and effect the performance (they didn't actually experience this though) I think if you have clean hands etc when using your phone it'll be fine. And as for dust etc i lay my iPhone on its screen side wen not in use. Like when I'm on my bed or its charging.

----------

sorry to be so blunt. I suppose I should share my story. Long story short, I sent my very first iPhone back (4s) for a similar "non-issue" type issue and got a new one. Perfect one. Kept in an otterbox commuter case with a front AND back screen protector. The thing was flawless... not a scratch, mark, click, or tint to be seen. Fast forward just over a year and the 5 comes out, I get it and give my wife my old (perfect) 4s. She carries it for two months. I call her one evening at 5:50PM. We talk briefly (2min.) and hang up. I call her back 15 min later and it goes straight to VM. She frantically calls me from a friends phone... her phone (my old phone) is gone. Haven't seen it since then.

Moral of the story: Don't sweat the small stuff. I went through a lot of trouble to return the phone and get a "perfect" one. Honestly, it was my first ever iPhone and I really wanted to keep it for a long time. I intended to retire it to iPod duty after it's tenure in my wife's posession.

I could share a similar story about my first ever brand new vehicle that i bought with all available options. Put a lot of time, sweat, and blood into that thing... It was awesome. The rest of the story involves a dump truck full of rocks and now a bad back/neck... but I won't go into detail on that one.
Never heard if the phone again ? That's so weird, did your wife get mugged?

----------

I probably will only have this baby for a year anyway, and if she's going strong by then I have my mother who would gladly have an iPhone (she would never buy an apple product, she won the iPad 2 when it came out) And my little brother decided it would be cool to play with it without a cover and get a huge crack in it.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Never heard if the phone again ? That's so weird, did your wife get mugged?

Correct. Never been turned on since. (had find my iphone set up but the person who found her lost phone knew to shut it off). She apparently lost it at the grocery store sometime between talking to me and checking out :facepalm:

It really put into perspective how anal I was about my phone and what it got me in the long run (nothing). As soon as she lost it, I took the incipio case off of my iPhone 5 and got a skin for it. I now carry it "naked" with just the skin and screen protector. I figure why should I bother keeping it in a bulky case? It'll be hers or it'll be broken (or both) in like a year anyway. :rolleyes:

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah same, a year or so when I've got some money in my hand ill get an iPhone from one of my service providers. It's far too hard to claim warranty when the nearest apple store is an ocean away.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A few people have told me just to keep it it's a surreal issue. Others have said sweat from your thumb and dirt will build up inside it over time and effect the performance (they didn't actually experience this though) I think if you have clean hands etc when using your phone it'll be fine. And as for dust etc i lay my iPhone on its screen side wen not in use. Like when I'm on my bed or its charging.

Makes sense. And that's a good idea, I'm going to start doing that!

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
My iPhone 5 had a loose home button but a perfect screen, and the replacment has a perfect home button but a screen with yellow/brown tinge at the top. I'd rather have my old screen back :(

Food for thought.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Makes sense. And that's a good idea, I'm going to start doing that!
Haha glad to spread awareness! ;) I'm not kidding when I say I stressed this topic to the bone!
Posted in the apple community forums but they didn't seem to read what I said.

----------

My iPhone 5 had a loose home button but a perfect screen, and the replacment has a perfect home button but a screen with yellow/brown tinge at the top. I'd rather have my old screen back :(

Food for thought.
Yeah this is why I'd be afraid to get a replacement.

So many people report that they exchange it in to receive an only worse iphone -__-
Apple are rolling in the cash, why can't they dedicate a bit more time to replacements, honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.