Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Banjoguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
I've been searching the threads and can't seem to find an opinion on my question about ibooks Author, so I'll ask.

I have been debating whether or not to use the thing for a couple of reasons.
First, while I don't think I want my material to be ipad only, I'm not sure. So if that is the case am I limited on future publication media, such as hard copy.

I'm not intending to have media, other than the occasional picture in my material.

Second, it seems I am chained to only using the Apple Store if I wish to publish/sell. Just wondering what anyone's experience is with that?

Finally, it looks to me like the old iWeb, just template drag and drop....are there other low cost options out there for me that you would recommend?

Thanx

rp

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've been searching the threads and can't seem to find an opinion on my question about ibooks Author, so I'll ask.

I have been debating whether or not to use the thing for a couple of reasons.
First, while I don't think I want my material to be ipad only, I'm not sure. So if that is the case am I limited on future publication media, such as hard copy.

I'm not intending to have media, other than the occasional picture in my material.

Second, it seems I am chained to only using the Apple Store if I wish to publish/sell. Just wondering what anyone's experience is with that?

Finally, it looks to me like the old iWeb, just template drag and drop....are there other low cost options out there for me that you would recommend?

First you write the contents of the book. Like write all the text, create all the graphics that you want, and so on and so on. Doesn't have to look good. But writing the contents is the hard work.

Twenty years ago what would have come next would have been layout, typesetting, and printing. Today, you _can_ use IBooks Author if you like. The app is free and quite powerful, the price is that the output can currently only be used on an iPad, and can only be sold for money through the App Store (but can be given away for free). You can also create PDF files from it, which you are free to use, and which could be used to create a printed book. Check the terms to find out whether you can _sell_ the PDF files or printed books created via iBooks Author or only give them away.

You are of course free to use the contents of the book using any other tools you want to publish your book elsewhere. For example, Amazon has tools to create Kindle books. Read the terms very, very, very, _very_ carefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.