Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amundln

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
This is the free OmniFocus license key that the Omni Group posted on their blog:

License Owner: Waiting for OmniFocus 2
License Key: KXKN-ZJDB-EJCX-LZHW-CFBF-QFC
(From http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/anticipating-omnifocus-2)

They will debut OmniFocus 2 on January 31st, looking forward to it! I guess their competitors know this and are using discounts to get users on board before OF 2 is released. And Omni is trying to counter it by giving away a free license. Competition IS good for consumers :)

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
This is the free OmniFocus license key that the Omni Group posted on their blog:

License Owner: Waiting for OmniFocus 2
License Key: KXKN-ZJDB-EJCX-LZHW-CFBF-QFC
(From http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/anticipating-omnifocus-2)

They will debut OmniFocus 2 on January 31st, looking forward to it! I guess their competitors know this and are using discounts to get users on board before OF 2 is released. And Omni is trying to counter it by giving away a free license. Competition IS good for consumers :)

I ditched OmniFocus a month or two ago and now use doit.im. So far I'm LOVING the better interface and better iPhone, iPad and OSX apps.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Meh. I tried to get into these sorts of apps but found them more of a hinderance. You still cant beat a good old paper to-do list IMO. Then have that followed by a much more extensive todo list in a Google doc or evernote - does the job fine without having to pay for what is essentially a fancy todo list app.

----------

GREAT!!! So many :apple: apps to choose from... oh wait, none is made by :apple: :mad:

and why the hell is that an issue exactly? :rolleyes:

happyduck42

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
New York, NY
A "GTD" promotion without OmniFocus? Maybe Apple really is slipping...

On the brink of OmniFocus 2 being released. I don't think it make since for OmniGroup to discount V1 a few days before the unveiling (not sale) of V2. Makes me think the others are doing a fire sale before the V2 announcement; but then it could be a coincidence. :rolleyes:

amundln

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Meh. I tried to get into these sorts of apps but found them more of a hinderance. You still cant beat a good old paper to-do list IMO. Then have that followed by a much more extensive todo list in a Google doc or evernote - does the job fine without having to pay for what is essentially a fancy todo list app.

Good point. Apps can be great for capturing and organizing stuff, but many task managers need a lot of maintenance to be effective. They are overkill if all you want to manage are simple, personal tasks.

Having a text document and transferring tasks to a piece of paper may be more low-tech than buying an app with lots of bells and whistles, but it does the job. Compared to Evernote I think Apple's Reminders offers an easier way to capture thing on the fly, but like a text list it does not require any organizing if you don't want to.

For work I use Omnifocus. It has all the features you need to stay on top of projects with a lot of people involved, long time frames and so on. Still transfer tasks from OF to paper each morning, though.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
I've been waiting and waiting for Things to go on offer. Nice app, but woefully overpriced. Now it's at the price it should be all the time. Purchased!

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
I tried a lot of these tools. Things was given up on for poor customer service. Omnifocus was too pricey. 2do was ok. It became evident that there the main idea to get from GTD is to split big projects into doable chunks to help yourself be able to open your to do list and just grab something off it that can be done in an hour. Some people started GTD with a small notebook. I spend so much time working at the computer that I went with Workflowy which is a web app and now iPhone app. Basically an infinite outliner with tagging links and completing of tasks if you want to organize your todos. More flexible then having to conform to the way these apps want you to optimize your working by filling in too many details dates. That stuff is just friction that slows you down when you have a good idea. Real paper and pencil is still the best but you need a lot of sheets if you're going to get a lot done and keep a lot of notes along the way.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I bought the Mac version of 2Do.

I've been using the iOS since it came out.
I prefer it because it can be simple or more involved if you choose. It's up to you.

Bought the Mac version because my iPhone isn't always with me, I'm faster typing on my keyboard and I like the notifications feature in ML.

I like the syncing capabilities between the devices and Mac.

Solid customer service. Quick to help whenever I've needed it and they seem to stay on top of it. They're not a dormant developer.

I'm sure many of the other apps offered can be great too.

The point for any of these apps is to get right into it and use it....whichever one.

My Grandma used to keep very organized using a regular piece of paper and pen so I figure 2Do's simple enough for me.

Cheers,
Keebler

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
These apps are extremelyl limited in functionality and originally way over priced.

Make an application like Pencil Me In [from Sarrus and later buried @ Sun Microsystems Inc] for $39.99 or $99 Enterprise license of unlimited number of clients hitting a PostgreSQL 9.2.x+, Oracle, MySQL 5.5+, even SQLite or NoSQL to do what it did and you'd have a winner:

pencilmein.png

OS X Applications with limited functionality to be similar to iOS apps is not what the consumer needs.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
These apps are extremelyl limited in functionality and originally way over priced.

Make an application like Pencil Me In [from Sarrus and later buried @ Sun Microsystems Inc] for $39.99 or $99 Enterprise license of unlimited number of clients hitting a PostgreSQL 9.2.x+, Oracle, MySQL 5.5+, even SQLite or NoSQL to do what it did and you'd have a winner:

OS X Applications with limited functionality to be similar to iOS apps is not what the consumer needs.

Are you serious? Yes lets make the application with as many features and clutter as possible, thats exactly what consumers need.

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
I've been waiting and waiting for Things to go on offer. Nice app, but woefully overpriced. Now it's at the price it should be all the time. Purchased!

I am away from my Mac but looked at some Things reviews and opened the app store to look at the iPad version. The reviews tout its sync across devices. However, the iPad version looks to be $19.99. It appears that if I buy Things for the Mac on sale at $24.99 I also have to buy the $19.99 iPad version to take advantage of the sync across devices. And I suppose an additional something if I wanted it on an iPhone.

So, that kind of takes the wind out of that sail. The app store makes no indication of the sale extending to iOS land at this time. Which would make sense. I suppose if you really like the app then you are getting the Mac and iPad versions for the price of the Mac version. The problem is I don't have any idea if this will be better than the other apps I have tried and that is a spendy gamble.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
I am away from my Mac but looked at some Things reviews and opened the app store to look at the iPad version. The reviews tout its sync across devices. However, the iPad version looks to be $19.99. It appears that if I buy Things for the Mac on sale at $24.99 I also have to buy the $19.99 iPad version to take advantage of the sync across devices. And I suppose an additional something if I wanted it on an iPhone.

So, that kind of takes the wind out of that sail. The app store makes no indication of the sale extending to iOS land at this time. Which would make sense. I suppose if you really like the app then you are getting the Mac and iPad versions for the price of the Mac version. The problem is I don't have any idea if this will be better than the other apps I have tried and that is a spendy gamble.

Yep. That's one of the reasons why I think it's so overpriced. But then I've had the iPhone version of it for a long time so it makes sense for me. I certainly wouldn't have paid full price though. As there are better To-Do apps out there for less (it's simplicity works for me). If you go to the developers website they offer a free trial for the Mac. It's worth trying it that way before buying as it's certainly not for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.