Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iJOBS1.jpg
The interaction between Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak shown in the first scene to be released from the biopic JOBS, due to appear in theaters April 19, is 'totally wrong' according to an email Wozniak sent to Gizmodo.
Totally wrong. Personalities and where the ideas of computers affecting society did not come from Jobs. They inspired me and were widely spoken at the Homebrew Computer Club. Steve came back from Oregon and came to a club meeting and didn't start talking about this great social impact. His idea was to make a $20 PC board and sell it for $40 to help people at the club build the computer I'd given away ... Our relationship was so different than what was portrayed. I'm embarrassed but if the movie is fun and entertaining, all the better. Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture.
Wozniak says that 'the lofty talk came much further down the line' after Jobs started to see more about the likely social impact of personal computers.

Article Link: 'JOBS' Movie Clip 'Totally Wrong', Says Steve Wozniak

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
Nice little pitch for your book at the end, Woz.

But what a humble and benevolent ass guy. Woz is a true spirit.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
After watching this, I knew they blew it. Having read Hackers, The Journey is the Reward, Fire in the Valley, and countless others, this conversation is just not right.

So far, The Pirates of Silicon Valley is pretty close - which was based on Fire in the Valley.

Also, Ashton just doesn't cut it. It's like watching Kelso trying to be Jobs.

Noah Wylie did a great job.

-P

xFerrr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah.. "Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture."... sounds like capitalism to me... oh Woz...

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
iWon't

OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good.

Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
Let's not go down that road of what's historically accurate, it's not a documentary. A narrative like this is supposed to entertain and give us a feel for what happened or how it happened, and then amplify it through the staging and acting. If movies like these stuck to only the bare facts they would be unwatchable. It seems like Woz understands this.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It's a freaking movie. Only idiots don't expect some poetic license.

Woz is Oz...The great and powerful

Woz is irrelevant and only opens his mouth so he can try and be relevant again. What has he done lately, other than stand on line for new phones being released?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The scene is out of context. We don't know what has taken place before or after.

In short - it's possible that they just hit on this moment to move things along/condense time frame.

Who knows. Can't judge from the clip alone

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Oh come on, Woz! It's a movie, it's supposed to take some creative license. I'm sure the true way it happened is probably rather boring...nobody wants to see that!

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
It comes as a great shock to me that the scene got details wrong. I was under the distinct impression Kutcher was a method actor.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There is nothing wrong with a movie taking creative license with the story of Steve Jobs. The problem is that it is more or less presented as fact -- and helps to create a myth about his true initial motivations and the role of others in the creation of Apple.

yod

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
London
I still have very low hopes for the movie after that clip... Ashton is just to Ashton.... you almost expect him to put on his cheeky grin and say PUNK'D any second...

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
So then it appears it all started in the upstairs level when Wozniak and Jobs discussed "lofty talk". It appears both of them had a penchant for converting loft areas in to spare bedrooms and it was in one of those very spaces that Jobs found an old PC motherboard which he would later 'make into a Mac' with plasticise, gauze and micropore tape.

Fascinating stuff ...

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
i like the acting very much of Aston, but after reading Woz's statement i m astonished by the bad research that film makers took.

woz is the man

sorry for bad english

griffd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
back off

Please, Chris, Woz shouldn't speak up when his own life is being inaccurately portrayed? Come on! Put yourself in his shoes. And it's not like he's filing a lawsuit or anything. He's just telling us how it went down. I thought he was a good sport about it, and I'm glad to know the the truth from a first hand source. Let the guy speak freely about his own life.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.