Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
The movie ends with Steve Jobs riding off on a dragon to Valhalla after defeating the world serpent in a battle of wits

The world serpent is then revealed to be a guy in an Intel bunny suit, but the mask is removed and it's actually Bill Gates! But one more mask is removed and it turns out to be Sergey Brin dressed in an Android costume.

"And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those pesky kids!"

Steve Jobs then smokes a doobie with Shaggy, and Woz and Velma make out. And ... scene. Woz is reported to have said, "Yeah, that was pretty spot on."

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan

This - I can't stand the guy.. :p

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I read a lot of biography's of great leaders. Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, military generals, business leaders, spiritual leaders, etc. What always strikes me as interesting is when you read multiple biographies, from different authors, of the same person. Perspectives shift. People can look at the same situation factually, observe it, and then use personal biases, feelings, experiences (either their own, the subject matter or 3rd parties) and draw radically different inferences. Peter Senge called this the "Ladder of Inference" archetype and its a very true phenomenon.

I'm a huge believer that Walt's book on Jobs was part truth and part fiction, as it was based on recollections of Steve and his colleagues. Steve saw things his way, his colleagues another and yet Walt interpreted things yet slightly different than either party. So what you are left with has some 'inferential fiction' in there. I'm sure Woz is no different. He and Steve may remember the exact same situation, see the same facts from the perspective of time, and then draw radically different inferences from these.

This is why eyewitness accounts to crime scenes are often so radically different. Its all a matter of personal perspective.

At any rate, looking forward to the movie as an entertainment venue. I don't see movies as a measure of accuracy for anything.

The same can also be said about Pirates of Silicon Valley - there are a lot of inaccuracies in that too.

Case in point. A made-for-TV movie that only loosely followed the known facts of early Jobs/Gates relationships. All they needed was a villain to have turned that closer to the plot of the completely fictional movie "Antitrust." But both are/were entertaining.

Last edited:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This - I can't stand the guy.. :p

Oh, here was a blog post I wrote way back when I got the iWoz book. I think I was nicer this time around.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13301751/iWoz.pdf

--- Original Post in 2010 ---

So I bought the audio book iWoz. It’s an autobiography by Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computer. I should have known what I was getting into by reading the full title: iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It. From the title on, Steve never stops telling you how important he was, how smart he is, and all the great things he invented that you didn’t– because he’s just that much smarter than you. Gag me with a spoon!

It was really hard enduring the first hour of the book. If I had to read the print version, I’m sure I’d have tossed it out my window before the second chapter. It got to a point in between him telling me all the blue ribbons he won at science fairs and how he was the only one in the world who could do x, y, or z, that I had to shut off part one, and go to part two. It was a bit better, but not by much.

The problem is that Steve Wozniak doesn’t stop talking about how great and smart he is. Yes, I get it. He is a genius, a brilliant man. But to have to hear him constantly telling me as such really gets annoying. There were times I would burst out laughing, and actually speak to myself out loud, “I know Steve, I know you are,” quietly reassuring him of his brilliance. Basically, this guy pissed me off. I never really had any connection with him, though I always idolized Steve Jobs, the other Apple co-founder. But after listening to (most of) this book, I had to delete it with probably 3 hours still to listen.

Woz comes off as annoying, obnoxious, and just a rather impossible person to spend any meaningful time with. He’s someone who will let you know at every turn when you are doing something wrong. And what’s more, he’ll tell you how he does it to perfection. My advise for Woz– let other people write your history and tell us how brilliant you are.

PS- Yeah, it was a waste of $14.95

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Umm, Woz.

No - he can't. I'm not saying the movie is going to be good. What I am saying is that the movie isn't claiming to be a documentary. It's BASED on true events. And only on this forum - when about Apple - would people hold other storytellers accountable for having it 100% perfect.

The same people certainly don't have a problem with Steve or other people from Apple re-engineering history when they've told stories/presented "facts"

It's a movie. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate. And it could never be. If an event is altered for dramatic effect and/or a series of events are condensed into one or characters left out - it's all a part of telling the story in the medium.

So yes - Woz might know exactly how things played out. And the movie might have it wrong. But to say the movie is crap because of it or that the scene should change is just silly.

I personally don't think movie will be great for a plethora of reasons. Historical accuracy being really LOW on that list.

ArtfulDodger718

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Atlanta
Those of you complaining about this film - I wonder how you felt about

Argo
The Social Network
The King's Speech
Dolphin Tale
Moneyball
The Blindside
Big Miracle

...and so on...

Just a bunch of unnecessary bitching and moaning from them. Film--unless it's a documentary--is always about interpretation and captivating the audience. If any of the movie you mentioned didn't have that wee bit of over-zealousness, well, BioPics wouldn't exist, because no one would pay money to watch them. Go to PBS if you want a documentary...and **** carrots!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The preview was so badly staged and acted that I thought it was a horror movie. Watch "Pirates" if you want a good film about Apple.

...poetic?

Yes.

poetic license
noun
the freedom to depart from the facts of a matter or from the conventional rules of language when speaking or writing in order to create an effect: he used a little poetic license to embroider a good tale.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
all the better. Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture.

good ad woz, made me look it up at amazon, ha.

but I hope the movie would bring more truth to jobs, and telling the story
that I haven't seen before in pirates of silicon valley

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yeah.. "Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture."... sounds like capitalism to me... oh Woz...

Sounds more like 'Whoever wants to educate themselves on what is the real story, here is how to find out'. He didn't say you had to BUY his book - borrow it at the library. Geez.

Man, what is it with people wanting to spin things 180 degrees from their meaning?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
So we wont see any good picture then, since the official movie will be based on 3 events from 2000+ and the JOBS movie is a fake, too sad

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I still have very low hopes for the movie after that clip... Ashton is just to Ashton.... you almost expect him to put on his cheeky grin and say PUNK'D any second...

So true Ashton Kutcher is a stink bomb, as soon as I heard that he was playing Steve Jobs I was extremely disappointed. Now after seeing that clip I know why. His acting is just plain old BAD!! He has no range.

Oh well I can still hold out hope for the Sony pictures version.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wozniak says that 'the lofty talk came much further down the line' after Jobs started to see more about the likely social impact of personal computers.

I love Woz, but he has to know it's 1.5-2hr movie, not a 9 hr Lord of the Rings trilogy. There is no "down the line" here. It's composite history for the masses and money.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
The moment they announced that Ashton Kutcher would be in the movie, I knew it would be terrible. He's yet to make a good movie; I have no idea why this clown gets hired by anybody.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Interesting that he would go to Gizmodo with his take. Not to mention the shameless plug for his "iBook".

I'm sorry to those who like Woz here but the truth of the matter is some people here are giving him way too much credit. Sure he was one of the pioneers of Apple but he's not even remotely the reason why the company is successful today. Where was his creative genius when the company was on the verge of going belly up? If he was no longer with the company I see no reason to keep giving him so much credit as if he was the mastermind to the company's success today.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Look, Woz wrote his book. He's had his say. He's done. Is he going to pic apart every single biopic from now until the end of time? He needs to give it rest already.

He can pick apart whatever he wants. It's not his problem if his opinion is given coverage on MacRumors and you happen not to care about it.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Just a bunch of unnecessary bitching and moaning from them. Film--unless it's a documentary--is always about interpretation and captivating the audience. If any of the movie you mentioned didn't have that wee bit of over-zealousness, well, BioPics wouldn't exist, because no one would pay money to watch them. Go to PBS if you want a documentary...and **** carrots!

Thank you. Even documentaries BTW should be taken with a grain of salt. The way facts are presented, the way some hidden and some are overblown are meant to sway the opinion of the watcher.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Did they even approach Woz or anyone else from Homebrew to consult when writing this script? To put all those resources and effort into a film and get it so wrong is a shame.

Of course, it is just a movie few people will see that will be drown in the deluge of film as time marches on.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
And Butterfly effect is a decent one where he does not play a goof.

Brian Griffin: [points to Peter's panic room] Peter, what is that?
Peter Griffin: Well, I got the idea to build a panic room after I saw that movie "The Butterfly Effect". I thought, "Wow, this is terrible. I wish I could escape to a place where this movie couldn't find me."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.