Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsted222

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
It just randomly shuts off...goes black. I start it back up and it will eventually do it again. Right now I have about an hour streak going with now random shut down.

Any ideas?

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
It just randomly shuts off...goes black. I start it back up and it will eventually do it again. Right now I have about an hour streak going with now random shut down.

Any ideas?

Sounds remarkably like problems I had with mine. Do a search for "G5 imac swollen capacitors". Good news is there is lots of information on DIY fixes. Could also be the power supply. if your G5 is one of the first 2 generations, easy to open/work on. If third, harder. Easy way to tell-3rd gen had the isight camera. To work on it, have to pull screen. Gen 1-2, comes apart like a dream.

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
Might also be the fans. We our 1st g imac g5 was overheating and shutting down and I opened it up, cleaned it out and replaced the fans (very simple at a cost of about €25).

giampablo

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Tuscany, Italy

Any ideas?

First thing, check the air intake on the back of your iMac (just under the stand hinge). Me too, a couple of years ago, had random shutdowns and finally I just cleaned the outer air intake: it was fully covered with cat hairs and dust (yes, I have a cat). Problem solved.

I'm writing this in a 7 year old G5 isight iMac (2005), waiting for the new iMac.
;)

rsted222

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

The first thing I did was open it up and blow it out real good.

I'll try some more of these options.

Of course, it may just be time to charge a credit card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.