Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz has filed a new report offering a few new details on the fifth-generation iPad, as well as on Apple's work toward future iPhone models.

Most notably, Horwitz says that he has inspected what is said to be a shell designed for the fifth-generation iPad, and that the device will adopt many of the features seen in the iPad mini's design.
What does it look like? Well, it's a lot smaller than one would guess was possible: in portrait orientation, picture a 9.7" screen with virtually no left or right bezels, and only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements. Beyond that, it's noticeably thinner, as well, which is to say the the fifth-generation iPad will be smaller in every dimension than its predecessors. As it will have the same chamfered edges and curves, calling it a "stretched iPad mini" is very close to entirely accurate.
The report notes that the upcoming iPad is so much smaller and thinner than the current design that it seems to require a complete redesign of the interior, likely including a shift in display technology to IGZO panels and smaller chip components.

Horwitz says that while Apple had originally hoped to push the fifth-generation iPad out in March, it now appears that an October launch is more likely, perhaps due to issues with component yields.

iphone_5_ipad.jpg

On the topic of the iPhone, Horwitz says that the iPhone 5S will unsurprisingly appear nearly identical to the iPhone 5, although it will have a slightly larger rear flash. The rumored lower-cost iPhone with a plastic shell is indeed said to be in Apple's plans for 2013, with a focus on China Mobile as Apple seeks to lower the cost of entry for the world's largest carrier.

Finally, Horwitz says that the rumored "iPhone Math" is indeed in development, but that it will not be appearing this year, if ever.
Addressing the so-called "iPhone Math"--hinted by one source as a mistranslation of "iPhone +"--we've been told that this is another new model and in early prototyping stages, certainly not expected in 2013. It supposedly has a 4.7" screen, at least for the time being. It might never make it to market, and plenty could change before it does. Consider it Apple's "just in case / Plan B" hedge against ever-growing Android phone screen sizes.
Horwitz has shared fairly accurate information on Apple's product plans several times in the past, suggesting that he does indeed have reliable sources with access to Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: iPad 5 Set for October Debut with Design Similar to iPad Mini? iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone Moving Forward

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Just like I've been saying...No new iPad 5 or Mini Retina until FALL 2013. Glad I returned my iPad 4 and bought my iPad mini when I did in December. It's absolutely fantastic and I've been enjoying it like crazy!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
March please :(
And I don't want another redesign. I have accessories coming in for when I buy the iPad 5 :( :( :(

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
"only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements."

Does this mean the bottom bezel (with the home button) will be thicker than the top?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Well if they make the iPad 5 a lot lighter, I'll be buying it again for the bigger screen. I went to the Mini because it's so light.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
If something were coming in March, wouldn't we be seeing leaked parts by now? Or would it still be too soon?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
If they aren't releasing new iPads until October, I have to imagine the iPhone would be in the summer otherwise it's going to be a boring first couple of quarters for not only customers, but investors as well.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
I don't believe the smaller bezel rumor. The full size iPad needs places where you can hold it.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what does that mean for all those past years at 3.5 inches they they also professed was the perfect size. What a joke.

Perhaps apple doesn't always go out and put the latest screen, or what have you, in it's products is because they have price targets to meet and profit margins to maintain. If Apple put in a large screen, do you still think it could be sold for $600 or $200 with contract?

I personally like the form factor. It fits my hands and into my pocket nicely.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.

I miss downvoting. :(

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well if they make the iPad 5 a lot lighter, I'll be buying it again for the bigger screen. I went to the Mini because it's so light.

This. While the iPad with Retina Display is a great product, the weight is an annoyance. I was about to get an iPad MINI for the weight and use that as the primary on-the-go device and leave the iPad w/ Retina Display at home but if this turns out to be official, might wait and get the full sized iPad 5.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

At least TRY not to be obvious about your trolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.