Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
Brian Griffin: [points to Peter's panic room] Peter, what is that?
Peter Griffin: Well, I got the idea to build a panic room after I saw that movie "The Butterfly Effect". I thought, "Wow, this is terrible. I wish I could escape to a place where this movie couldn't find me."

While I care deeply about the opinions of some cartoon figures, I stand by my first post: that it is a decent movie. I know ratings doesn't matter much, but a 7.7 on imdb indicates that others agree that it is at the very least "decent". You may think it's ******, and others think it's great.

Main point, though: Ashton can play other roles. Most people are obviously completely unable to lose their ingrained image of Ashton as a loud and obnoxious goof, since that's what he's mainly done, but that doesn't mean he can't be something else. It's obviously much his own fault, but it's also clear that a ton of people in here hated the movie long before they even see a moving/talking image of Ashton as Jobs.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Let's not go down that road of what's historically accurate, it's not a documentary. A narrative like this is supposed to entertain and give us a feel for what happened or how it happened, and then amplify it through the staging and acting. If movies like these stuck to only the bare facts they would be unwatchable. It seems like Woz understands this.

I don't care if it's acting/movie... it's assassinating his reputation/character.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Is it just me or does Woz seem to be trying to force himself back into the limelight? He is making comments he knows will be controversial - not just about this movie, but about Apple products as well. I have also seen him on some TV shows.

It seems he is just looking for another 15 minutes of fame.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
clarification

Yeah.. "Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture."... sounds like capitalism to me... oh Woz...

How would you like people misrepresenting your life? The guy isn't like other rich people. If he put a book out its because he feels you are getting the wrong information. Remember pirates of silicone valley? its going to be considered way more accurate than this.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Oh come on, Woz! It's a movie, it's supposed to take some creative license. I'm sure the true way it happened is probably rather boring...nobody wants to see that!

So if you have a discussion with your parents or siblings or spouse.....then someone else retells what happened and adds a little drama.....and you don't come off as looking very good.....do you speak up and tell how it really was or do you just write it off as dramatic effect? I think we all would speak up and set the record straight.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Duh Its a movie about jobs, some glorification is to be expected . People who want reality should read one of the many books.

rfrmac

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Tire

Where did all this Woz hate come from?

Woz brought it back to reality. Good to have input from one of the two guys who actually was there at the true beginning! And without Woz, none of us would even be here on an "Apple" forum. So show some respect for the Woz!

And without Jobs who would know Woz. They both played a part. Where did the "hate" come from? For the record, "hate" is way to strong a word, "tire" is more like it. Many of us are tire of hearing from Woz. Listen to what he has said about anything Apple since he left. Apple has moved a great deal further down the road since he decided to leave. Many bright people have contributed to the success of the company. But something that Jobs had was vision. He had that vision when he was with Woz and when he was not. The big question now is whether Apple still has a vision. Woz did his part. I am thankful for that, but I am tire of hearing from him as if he was Steve Jobs. Go back and read what he has said over the years about Apple and whether he was right. It is tiring.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I read Silvia Nassers book "A Beautiful Mind" after I had seen the movie of the same name. The movie is one of my favorite movies. However, it is dramatically and I mean radically different from what actually took place. Yes the major facts of the story; brilliant guy comes up with theory, descends into schizophrenia, miraculously recovers, people realize how great his theory was and give him a Nobel prize are there but all of the detail is wrong.

And yet both the book and the movie are entertaining and the movie still gives one the same sense of the story. And on this movie John Nash was a consultant, so he could have demanded that everything be historically accurate (although his disease makes a lot of what happened fuzzy), but he didn't. His ex-wife was also involved (they divorced but got back together when he recovered, but never remarried - as opposed to the "stand by your man" version in the movie)

I'm sure that the details will be all wrong in this movie, but it would have been interesting to have Steve Jobs around to give his counter point to Woz. I could easily see them having a very different recollection of what happened. And as much as I like Woz, he is a textbook narcissist, and I have no doubt that that colors his recollection of who invented what. Movies do not equal reality, even biographicals, they tell stories, and reality makes for messy stories that aren't as compelling as the sanitized versions that end up on the screen.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't get why people expected this movie... any glossy feature hollywood movie... to be historically accurate. Movies rarely capture a fictional novel faithfully, and you except them to get actual history right?

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Sounds more like 'Whoever wants to educate themselves on what is the real story, here is how to find out'. He didn't say you had to BUY his book - borrow it at the library. Geez.

Man, what is it with people wanting to spin things 180 degrees from their meaning?

what is this......library thing you speak of

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan

Thank goodness Steve had no ego. Image the problems the two of them would have had?

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Film--unless it's a documentary--is always about interpretation and captivating the audience.

Oh really? Is that the doctrine used throughout the film-making industry now? :rolleyes:

In that case why even bother trying to make any of the details be representative? They shouldn't even have Woz in the movie. Instead they should have Jobs be a woman and Woz be an adorable robot sidekick called iBot who accidentally gains sentience and instructs Jobs on how to build an Apple I.

Yep, everyone here would love that.

----------

The best part of the movie is the end, where Jobs ascends into heaven.

What are you talking about? It's Steve Jobs. Heaven came to him! ;)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

If Woz is Zeus, what is Jobs? Ha Ha. Funny.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Is it just me or does Woz seem to be trying to force himself back into the limelight? He is making comments he knows will be controversial - not just about this movie, but about Apple products as well. I have also seen him on some TV shows.

It seems he is just looking for another 15 minutes of fame.

I gave up on Woz after the whole "Dancing with the Stars" thing a few years ago...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.