Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Focus on improving iOS.

+1... iOS makes up 90% of the features anyway... make it better... give us something new without changing the hardware. I really don't care about 5 inch screens or NFCs.

Otherwise... hurry up with something on the TV side! I want to dump my cable by the end of 2013. :D

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Apple probably needs to redesign the iPhone every year now. Squatting on a single design for two years with all of Android's various and ever-changing form factors is not the best recipe for long-term growth -- especially with a similarly stagnant OS.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
A lightweight iPad 5 versus a iPad mini Retina is going to be a tough choice. I have a mini now and love it, letting my girlfriend borrow my iPad 3. I vastly prefer the mini for its size and most of all weight, but I definitely miss the retina screen.

Who knows, maybe for once I'll actually skip the next generation of iPads. If the next mini doesn't have retina, can't see a big reason to upgrade.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmm I can see those share prices dropping again IF Apple doesn't launch the next iPad for another 9 months!!
Be interesting to see what a 'cheap' iPhone ends up like but I bet it will be for the Chinese market only, that would be another fail.

Yeah I don't believe a word of this report, then again you never know?

I agree that Apple should focus on making iOS work properly first and they need to change it, make it fresh and new.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
I was showing an app to someone on my 5th gen iPod recently. Afterward the guy remarked, do you have problems reading things on that small screen? Taken aback I said defensively that I also have a bigger screen (thinking about my iPad 4), but no this is fine.

As I thought about it later and hear about rumored Samsung 6 inch screens, I realize that Apple is sort of holding us back. We love Apple products so much and with good reason. But Apple can be slow to respond or change according to people's or the market's preferences. I understand that's part of their business model. But once in a while reality hits you with a certain poignancy.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Well, more cannabalizing products (cheap iPhone) is just what we need ... I'd rather see them gear to TV's. Because Apple didn't deliver I was forced to buy a Samsung Smart TV. What a mess, even if Apple packed its Apple TV into a big screen I would choose that product any day over Smart TV.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
oh well

Thought Tim Cook said the product line was "choke full"? Anyways, will probably wait for the iphone 6 and hope that it is the 4.8 screen size, and PLease make it Wider.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Perhaps apple doesn't always go out and put the latest screen, or what have you, in it's products is because they have price targets to meet and profit margins to maintain. If Apple put in a large screen, do you still think it could be sold for $600 or $200 with contract?

I personally like the form factor. It fits my hands and into my pocket nicely.

Let me ask again. Apple professed for years, 3.5 inches was the perfect screen size. And the Apple hopeful completely ate it all up and were in complete agreement. So now they believe 4 inches is perfect and that's how they advertise it. So if 4 inches is the perfect size, what about all those years at 3.5 inches?

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
A lightweight iPad 5 versus a iPad mini Retina is going to be a tough choice. I have a mini now and love it, letting my girlfriend borrow my iPad 3. I vastly prefer the mini for its size and most of all weight, but I definitely miss the retina screen.

Who knows, maybe for once I'll actually skip the next generation of iPads. If the next mini doesn't have retina, can't see a big reason to upgrade.
I would definitely consider buying the next iPad Mini ONLY if it has the Retina display.

The fact that it's light and can fit in my jacket pocket is the attraction.

My iPad 4 would in no way fit in my jacket pocket, and if it did, my jacket would be hanging lopsided from the tonnage :D

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Perhaps apple doesn't always go out and put the latest screen, or what have you, in it's products is because they have price targets to meet and profit margins to maintain. If Apple put in a large screen, do you still think it could be sold for $600 or $200 with contract?

I personally like the form factor. It fits my hands and into my pocket nicely.

they can try to sell it for $600 on contract, no one will buy it

Galaxy Note 2 is $299 or $249 depending where you buy it

Seems apple is making the classic mistake of hiding inside margins. just like Intel

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Was going to get an iPad Mini with Retina when it launched because I liked the lighter weight... but if they've managed to cut the weight in ~half for the iPad 5, then I might have to just wait for that! Blargh, idk :(

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Trolling aside, I do believe the iPhone 5 and 4 inch screen was without a doubt a reaction to the Android market and the increasingly larger phones. Apple will react again at some point, whether it be 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen, but for me personally it might be too late.

I LOVE all of my Apple products, I have a Macbook pro which couldnt be pried away from my hands. The iPad is awesome. I want a bigger phone though, and the only thing keeping me with iPhone for the time being is the ecosystem, however I'm constantly looking into all that would be required to switch platforms and I have to say I am close to the point where a new state of the art Samsung phone in the ~5" range would be seriously appealing to me. I'm close to switching, and can't imagine that I am the only one.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple probably needs to redesign the iPhone every year now. Squatting on a single design for two years with all of Android's various and ever-changing form factors is not the best recipe for long-term growth -- especially with a similarly stagnant OS.
Does hardware design matter in terms of how you use the phone? How does it make many business sense to redesign your products every year just because some people get bored easily.

Here's the Nokia N90, Lumia 900 and 920. Those phones don't really look that different, yet everyone drooled over the 920 design. If a design is good why does it need to change much?

nokia_n9_900_920.jpg

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
An iPad 5 with the iPad mini design, retina display, 500 grams, ios7. You can be sure it will be the hottest product for the Christmas season. Outsold for months easily.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.

Just got back from South beach interesting did not see a single Samsung phone
everyone had an iPhone. I think the reason is most people still use their phone as a phone. When I need it for the internet it is usually to look up information to help me perform my tasks on the run. The screen is perfect for checking emails, texting, light internet surfing, HD video and reviewing pictures. I also use my iPhone 5 to stream music while i work out and the smaller the device when you are running the better!! My friend has a samsung galaxy III the screen is not that gorgeous just bigger, the color inaccuracy would never cut it for me, in addition he has to carry around an extra battery just to get through the day. I like that my iPhone is small it does every thing I need and fits in my front pocket. The iPhone 5 is a tough bastard as well i have no case have dropped it so many times and no scratches the structural integrity for such a small device is an engineering marvel. So lets see bigger screen Samsung vs, 3x as fast processor, way lighter, more sturdy, better color accuracy and brightness, better battery life and metal vs cheap plastic. The choice is obvious not everyone is all about the size some of us are about functionality and beauty. I guess if your a game player the bigger screen would be better and the lower price would be helpful because if you are spending most of your time playing games on your mobile phone you probably can't afford an iPhone

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Newsflash: Apple is developing various screen-sized prototypes of their products!!!! :eek:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I was showing an app to someone on my 5th gen iPod recently. Afterward the guy remarked, do you have problems reading things on that small screen? Taken aback I said defensively that I also have a bigger screen (thinking about my iPad 4), but no this is fine.

As I thought about it later and hear about rumored Samsung 6 inch screens, I realize that Apple is sort of holding us back. We love Apple products so much and with good reason. But Apple can be slow to respond or change according to people's or the market's preferences. I understand that's part of their business model. But once in a while reality hits you with a certain poignancy.

Get a tablet for the bigger size. People get the iPod Touch for the size (it fits comfortably in your pocket).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.