Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
'a bit excessive' - wow. 'A vile group of people in Europe' - bigger wow.

It's really sad that people think the way you do. Tragic in fact.

Sounds more like an emotional opinion but okay.

----------

Still doesn't make him Hitler.

edit: I can't believe I'm having this conversation...

Lol

----------

Adolf Hitler made Germany industry, once again, one of the most efficient at the time.

Hitler's moral compass is wrong. So was Steve Jobs.

Wrong on both counts.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
To benefit from the experiment for the greater good would be the most honorable respect for those victim. Using your logic, we should not wear gold jewelry because most gold was mined under the Apartheid South Africa. We should lock up the gold out the respect for those got killed by the evil apartheid regime?????

What if we have a line of wonderful products, created by evil like Steve Jobs who detroyes countless people's livelihood, exploits millions of chinese slave labor, steals taxpayer's money, and we bury them forever, that would be true tragedy. I, for one, am happily enjoying Apple products.

We should boycott post-Apartheid diamonds. The lack of Apartheid is what destroyed SA.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Say that to Steve Jobs... he would do anything, vile and dirty to make money. Hope he was happy for this tragic short life, leaving a wife with a vicious bitchy personality worse than Cinderella's stepmother!

Everyone is someone's father, or someone's son, or mother or daughter. That doesn't mean you're above reproach, and shouldn't be criticized for doing something someone else disagrees with. We're all open game, so long as it's kept at least somewhat civil.

Yeah, such as that absolutely atrocious post from the above poster. That's too over the top and downright unnecessary.
And I don't believe that we as humans should be criticizing one another unless we're beyond being criticized and that would make people perfect. Don't judge others unless your life is perfect.
Steve Jobs ran a company they way he saw fit. Was he a tyrant? From what I've read, yes. Was he near unbearable to work for? From what I read, yes. Does that give me justification to call him all sorts of names and put down his family? Hell no. I never worked with him and none of the people here saying such vicious things about him have either. There was no reason to call his wife names. His company obviously became successful based on how he ran it so people here need to get off their high horse and quit the name calling. MR doesn't allow us to criticize each other with name calling (and we interact with each other) so why should one criticize another human they don't even interact with?

chris650

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, such as that absolutely atrocious post from the above poster. That's too over the top and downright unnecessary.
And I don't believe that we as humans should be criticizing one another unless we're beyond being criticized and that would make people perfect. Don't judge others unless your life is perfect.
Steve Jobs ran a company they way he saw fit. Was he a tyrant? From what I've read, yes. Was he near unbearable to work for? From what I read, yes. Does that give me justification to call him all sorts of names and put down his family? Hell no. I never worked with him and none of the people here saying such vicious things about him have either. There was no reason to call his wife names. His company obviously became successful based on how he ran it so people here need to get off their high horse and quit the name calling. MR doesn't allow us to criticize each other with name calling (and we interact with each other) so why should one criticize another human they don't even interact with?

You just did. You called him a tyrant, just like someoen calling Hitler a tyrant.

blewyn

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2009
I think he's perfectly okay to protect his company and employees, and therefore their hard work from being lost to another company.

To be honest, I'd do anything to have someone with Steve's stance on poaching leading my company...

But isn'tbcompetition aupposed to be good for the economy ?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
With all due respect, I think you're missing the point. You SHOULD be picking companies that you want to work for and because you believe in their products. However, imagine you work for a semiconductor company and you're a leading engineer in this field. Now imagine Apple investing in this area because they believe they can design a new chip that will rival the computing power and power consumption specs of anything in existence. They'd like to hire you. Should they be allowed to approach you? I'm betting that in this scenario, you would say 'yes, they should be allowed to' and possibly, you might even be interested in hearing what Apple has to say. And I think Apple SHOULD be allowed to approach you.

This is what Palm is contending (that they should be allowed to approach folks with the best talent regardless of their current employer). However, the agreement that Apple, Google, et al had in place would prevent Apple from approaching you.

I get the point... I've been living it for over 25 years working in the software industry. Poaching is bad. It's disruptive and all it does is hurt all the companies in the area and it's not good for the individuals too as it's disrtracting. If I worked at Google, and wanted to work at Apple, I could always just apply for the job... of course, assuming I'm not violating my employment contract that I agreed to when I took the job.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Yeah, I do... Steve was doing what he could to do what was right. Palm wasn't playing ball. The agreement between the big companies wouldn't exist if it was wrong or unfair. And, did you even read the links that were served to you?
You're being sarcastic, right? Companies never make agreements that are illegal, unethical, or unfair to other parties? :rolleyes:

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Your best bet is to killfile posters whose opinions you dislike. You'll likely start to enjoy the forum more if you do that.

The Bozo Bin can be a useful tool.
But sometimes you learn more from those you disagree with. But I agree it is more comforting to only listen to those with the same mindset as yours. :(

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
But sometimes you learn more from those you disagree with. But I agree it is more comforting to only listen to those with the same mindset as yours. :(

Personally, I rarely use the filters. I agree that reading divergent viewpoints is more enjoyable than living in an echo chamber.

But the OP was complaining that he did not want to see certain people's posts, hence my suggestion to him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.