Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kmad86

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I'm trying to download my Lion and Mountain Lion copies to backup to a jump drive from the AppStore on my 2012 iMac. Neither will download.

Mountain Lion Error: OSX Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer

Lion Error: You can't put 10.7 on this computer

.... and this is exactly why I hate software backups on the server. "Oh, but it will always be there" It might be there, but you can't download it when and where you want.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm trying to download my Lion and Mountain Lion copies to backup to a jump drive from the AppStore on my 2012 iMac. Neither will download.

.... and this is exactly why I hate software backups on the server. "Oh, but it will always be there" It might be there, but you can't download it when and where you want.

Did you actually purchase mountain lion through the App Store??

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Like the message says, Lion won't run on your machine, so they are blocking the DL. Mountain Lion on the new iMac uses a special build that supports the Fusion drive, and is a different build than the current App Store version, so that won't work either.

What you need to do is follow this process to grab the ML version you need from Apple's servers. Then you can use this free app with an 8GB USB key to make yourself an installer for safe keeping.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

Yes, I ran into the same thing yesterday with a brand new 2012 27" iMac with Fusion, when I tried to download a copy of ML from the app store it told me that my Mac is not compatible with it. I just wanted to build a recovery thumb drive in case I have to reload it from scratch.

Kmad86

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Did you actually purchase mountain lion through the App Store??

Yep, Lion too.

----------

Like the message says, Lion won't run on your machine, so they are blocking the DL. Mountain Lion on the new iMac uses a special build that supports the Fusion drive, and is a different build than the current App Store version, so that won't work either.

What you need to do is follow this process to grab the ML version you need from Apple's servers. Then you can use this free app with an 8GB USB key to make yourself an installer for safe keeping.

OT Weasel?

----------

Yes, I ran into the same thing yesterday with a brand new 2012 27" iMac with Fusion, when I tried to download a copy of ML from the app store it told me that my Mac is not compatible with it. I just wanted to build a recovery thumb drive in case I have to reload it from scratch.

On the new iMac, you won't need it because of the remote recovery built in. All you need is wifi. (Already went through that). I just want a copy for my 17" computer I just put a new SSD in.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Yep, Lion too.

----------

OT Weasel?

----------

On the new iMac, you won't need it because of the remote recovery built in. All you need is wifi. (Already went through that). I just want a copy for my 17" computer I just put a new SSD in.

The problem that I have with remote recovery is that there is the possibility that I will need to restore the machine and not have internet access. I don't like, one little bit, relying on "the cloud" for critical things like this.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon

You need to keep all the software backed up on *your* server and not theirs!

I ran into this situation when I went to download a copy of iMovie '11 I purchased from the Mac App store when it first came out Spring 2011 and Snow Leopard was the OS at the time. However it has since been updated to Lion or Later only and would not download! Luckily I was able to retrieve the older version on another system from TimeMachine.

An email to Apple got the reply that you cannot rely on Apple to re-download software and must back up any apps you download.

So much for the Cloud!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
You need to keep all the software backed up on *your* server and not theirs!

I ran into this situation when I went to download a copy of iMovie '11 I purchased from the Mac App store when it first came out Spring 2011 and Snow Leopard was the OS at the time. However it has since been updated to Lion or Later only and would not download! Luckily I was able to retrieve the older version on another system from TimeMachine.

An email to Apple got the reply that you cannot rely on Apple to re-download software and must back up any apps you download.

So much for the Cloud!

The Cloud is a crock and a scheme to get people to pay for the same thing multiple times.

Just wait until they manage to kill physical Blu-ray and DVD media. Then the only way you'll be able to watch a movie you supposedly "own" is to have internet access. No thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.