Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in August 2011, Apple first passed Exxon Mobil as the most valuable publicly traded company in the world. Both companies have risen in value since, but Apple's recent slide has allowed Exxon Mobil to again regain its position at the top of the corporate world.

aaplxom.jpg
In the 17 months since Apple passed Exxon Mobil, XOM's stock is up some 27%, while AAPL has risen roughly 18%. Today, however, Apple has set a new 52-week low, while Exxon is matching its 52-week high set last September.

Currently, Apple's stock price is at $441.11 with a market capitalization of $414.28 billion. Exxon Mobil is at $91.43 with a market cap of $416.86 billion.

In Apple's most recent quarter, the company generated $13.08 billion in profit on $54.51 billion in sales, with 72,800 employees. Exxon Mobil generated $9.93 billion in profit on $115.71 billion in revenue with 82,100 employees.

Article Link: Apple Again The Second Most Valuable Publicly Traded Company in the World

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
I say the sell will stop at $420. I sure hope cook has something up his sleeve I can't afford any more losses. :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
From #1 to #2. In other words, Apple is now TWICE as far along as they had been, towards being the LEAST valuable company in the world.

Has there ever been a worse corporate nosedive in history? This news rivals the great crash of Exxon when they plummeted from #1 to #2.

It was nice knowing you, Apple :eek:

I say the sell will stop at $420. I sure hope cook has something up his sleeve I can't afford any more losses. :(

I think you may overestimate the connection between Apple's stock price and actual reality. But hang in there!

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Remember though...we cheer for Apple getting insane profits and go apeschit when Exxon makes makes a nickel.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I love Apple's products A LOT, but I feel like if they don't change much with iOS this year and OS X then they've hit a plateau.

In a way I feel like they've run out of ideas for hardware, so they really have to let the software shine.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Good move by Al Gore pickup up over $46 milion in stock, especially in a down time!

Keep an eye on the stock this year guys, and be ready to eat your crow ;)

Big things coming.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Maybe its about time Cook used some of that pile of cash to grow the business, like the stock market and analysts want them to do? Because its doing nothing else for the company.

No argument there.

Use the damn cash to BUY things that allow them to leapfrog their competitors who DO NOT have access to as much cash.

Start by buying out (poaching) Google's top engineers. They can do it. Legally. ;)

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I don't think this is that big of a deal as many of you are making this out to be. Further, I wouldn't blame Tim Cook either. He has done a great job and if it wasn't for him, Apple would not have all the cash they have in the bank. On that point, having all that cash is good for Apple especially in situations like these. They have the money to push forward, whether they want to innovate in new areas or in the current ones they have.

During the earnings call, it was clear that production costs have not lowered for Apple and they did introduce new products across the line for the most part. While not innovative and not that much different from the predecessors, they still cost more to make.

However, I do think and hope that Apple innovates at a faster pace. Their business model that was working for the last 4 years is not going to cut it. With competitors like Samsung catching and and, in certain areas, surpassing Apple's products, Apple may start feeling like it is between a rock and a hard place.

Like Tim Cook said to Brian Williams, I wouldn't bet against Apple.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
balance sheet

Does Exxon Mobile have better balance sheet than Apple?

Exxon Mobile is oil company. Apple is a consumer electronic company. For long term investment, Exxon Mobile stock is a better bet than Apple stock.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
What I find most interesting in this article is that Apple made over $3 BILLION more than Exxon, but their sales revenue is roughly HALF of what Exxon had to take in. I mean, we NEED gas. I can operate without my Macs.

Regardless of the stock plummet, I find that impressive.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Does Exxon Mobile have better balance sheet than Apple?

Exxon Mobile is oil company. Apple is a consumer electronic company. For long term investment, Exxon Mobile stock is a better bet than Apple stock.

LOL what do you define as long term?

Oil companies are done in the next 30 years, or we all are.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
All good things must come to an end. As much as I love Apple, they were at their most innovative between 2001 and 2004. Thats when Apple was really at its greatest with the iPods, iMac G4, PowerBooks etc.

Now they've become a bit too commercial, I liked them more when they were considered a lil bit alternative.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Honestly these huge drops every day are just making Wall Street look stupid right now. I mean what really constitutes all this panic selling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.