Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The best part of the movie is the end, where Jobs ascends into heaven.

This reminds me of the bizarre situation that Sir Richard Attenborough had when he told people he was going to make "Ghandi". He wanted a (relatively) historically accurate film, but from his statements, the Indian people were at first only going to be supportive if Ghandi was represented only as a "Beam of Light."

Kind of the opposite problem where people don't want reality but want the idealized version. But it just goes to show you, people are hard to please, no matter what you do, some group or other will be pissed off at you.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Pirates of Silicon Valley is still the best "impression" of Steve Jobs to date. Also, in general, is more historically faithful to the people involved.

The real Steve even had the actor, Noah, portray him at an Apple event as a joke; so impressed he was.

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
Hey, be nice to Woz. Pretty sure the media folks went to him, and he's always relevant in discussing Jobs' early history, because he was actually there. I was there somewhat later -- in '77 -- and I can tell you that Jobs' vision was growing -- but mainly around branding the computer-using experience. In late '77, we (none of us) were aware of how the personal computer could change the world. We were just watching it explode within the hobbyist community and edge into education.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The problem with this scene is that it's taking more than "creative license." Yes, it's a movie. But a movie should at least capture the "spirit" of
its characters, and in this scene that doesn't come across, at least for Woz. Steve fares a bit better, and the movie is about him, so maybe it'll be OK.

Also, I don't get the bizarre depictions in this forum of Woz as an egotistical, self-centered brat. He's pretty much the exact opposite--he's devoted his life to educational projects concerning tech.

I thought iWoz was a great book, and much better than the Isaacson bio. I did not get the sense that he was "bragging."

anubis72

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan
Kind of like Obama. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And without Jobs who would know Woz. They both played a part. Where did the "hate" come from? For the record, "hate" is way to strong a word, "tire" is more like it. Many of us are tire of hearing from Woz. Listen to what he has said about anything Apple since he left. Apple has moved a great deal further down the road since he decided to leave. Many bright people have contributed to the success of the company. But something that Jobs had was vision. He had that vision when he was with Woz and when he was not. The big question now is whether Apple still has a vision. Woz did his part. I am thankful for that, but I am tire of hearing from him as if he was Steve Jobs. Go back and read what he has said over the years about Apple and whether he was right. It is tiring.

I'm sure you're the type of person that also dismisses every tech company that has innovated and pioneered the industry before Apple and refuse to give them credit because "what have they done lately" - as if their contributions now should be forgotten - or worse - people reminded of. Are you?

Cactii

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Good or bad publicity = publicity. Have a look in google how many website report on this. Pages and pages. Wozniak, I'm sure will get cut of the action or some sort of royalties.

Let's admit it, just because of this we are even more curious how the movie might turn out.

I think good play on Wozniak part promoting the movie. :)

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
All you folks, criticizing Woz and saying how boring the movie would be if they make it accurate, must take a look at Pirates of Silicon Valley!!!

If the short clip is an indication of whats to come, than its gonna be very painful to watch... Its not a secret that Steve Jobs wasn't a saint in the beginning of his career, but much rather a brilliant entrepreneur who had balls!Woz is totally right in saying "the lofty talk came much further down the line", when Steve started to mature as a person and also as a business-men...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan

I did not get the same feeling from the iWoz book that you did.

I felt this was Woz telling a story about how PROUD he was of what he did as a kid. He was one of the people who started the whole personal computer movement. It wasn't completely him, but he was one of the top 10 players. There SHOULD BE a lot of praise for yourself. It's legitimate, and deserved.

If your personality is such where you hate to hear of people actually doing things with their life, and feeling proud and happy about what they did, instead of being politically correct, then I don't understand you. People SHOULD BE proud of their real accomplishments, and shout up high atop mountains to everyone what they've done.

Myself, I absolutely HATE it when I hear the game winning QB of the superbowl talking about how he did nothing, it was all God's plan, or some b-s. He did it, with his team. He had some luck, but he won the game because he and his teammates were good, and spent a lot of time making it happen.

----------

Good or bad publicity = publicity. Have a look in google how many website report on this. Pages and pages. Wozniak, I'm sure will get cut of the action or some sort of royalties.

Why would Woz get any cut of 'royalties'?

Unless they are using Woz's telling of the events, like from his book, iWoz, which it definately seems they are NOT, Woz is not getting a dime.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Seems like a lot of you want to buy into the fiction and damn the reality. Woz was actually there, he lived it. He's saying if you want to know the real story, read about it in his own words instead of getting it from some 2nd hand source who changed a few things because it plays better to the audience.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
curious

curious for a sensual scene in this film, oooh Ashton... or this girl isn't going to go see it, will just read books and view various informative / accurate documentaries out there about their relationship..
:apple: ?

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
most times when a movie like this is being made , the writer will take several events in the persons life and rap it into one scene or rap a few people into one character or the movie would be 30 yrs long

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
While I care deeply about the opinions of some cartoon figures, I stand by my first post: that it is a decent movie. I know ratings doesn't matter much, but a 7.7 on imdb indicates that others agree that it is at the very least "decent". You may think it's ******, and others think it's great.

Main point, though: Ashton can play other roles. Most people are obviously completely unable to lose their ingrained image of Ashton as a loud and obnoxious goof, since that's what he's mainly done, but that doesn't mean he can't be something else. It's obviously much his own fault, but it's also clear that a ton of people in here hated the movie long before they even see a moving/talking image of Ashton as Jobs.

Sorry couldn't resist buddy, but that said I actually quite enjoyed that movie, not necessarily for acting but because of the theory behind it. Makes you think of how chance and coincidence played a key role in your key decisions and life.

BTW there is also another movie called 'Panic Room', up until peter said 'movie' i thought that's what he's going to say, but he went for a totally unrelated movie and made a joke. Typical Seth McFarlan :D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If this movie is a 'biography' of Steve Jobs, then it should be as accurate as possible to the real facts.

If it's 'based on the life' of Steve Jobs, then the story could contain some fiction.

It it's 'inspired by the life' of Steve Jobs, then most of it could be fiction, even several names changed, fictitious characters added, etc., while still having an essence of his life in it.

Renzatic

Suspended
It it's 'inspired by the life' of Steve Jobs, then most of it could be fiction, even several names changed, fictitious characters added, etc., while still having an essence of his life in it.

The Amazing Secret Lives of Bob Stephens

lookalike.jpg

Legendary CEO of Apricot Inc. and world renowned SUPERSPY! Inventor of the Alderman computer, the MyJuke portable music player, the MyCell Smartphone, and the MyTab (which needs no introduction).

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
From what I hear Dark Zero Thirty is exaggerated/changed a bit and so was The Social Network... Both of those were friggin' amazing nevertheless so I am hoping for something similar...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.