Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Honestly these huge drops every day are just making Wall Street look stupid right now. I mean what really constitutes all this panic selling?

Because the global economy is a house of cards built on insider information and rumors for anyone not in the know.

In short, stupidity.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Honestly these huge drops every day are just making Wall Street look stupid right now. I mean what really constitutes all this panic selling?

Yes the whole industry where the smartest people in the world works are stupid.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
LOL what do you define as long term?

Oil companies are done in the next 30 years, or we all are.

Long term means hold it in the retirement investment portfolio, let the stock price auto pilot.

I think Apple will be gone much sooner than oil companies (energy sector).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Smartest people in the world are on Wall Street? The ones that ran up Apple's stock to $700 and were predicting $1000 and are now selling it in droves. :eek:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Your faith in these Wall Street muppets is misplaced. These are the same people that needed billions of tax payer money to stay afloat not all that long ago. They fail at the capitalism game.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Someone tell me again how Apple is worth $1000 a share even though five quarters forward earnings when they were KILLING IT didn't value them at $580 a share?

Value investing is not fuzzy math, ladies and gents.... there's a reason that Apple's stock price has this much downward elasticity. It's called overvaluation.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Oh my gosh if people would stop selling their damn stock it would stop going down! This is insane I don't see people stopping getting scared and selling at this rate just wow

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007

You understand that being smart doesn't always equate to being honest, right? I'm not saying this to point fingers at Wall Street. I'm smart, too. But does that mean I never tell people what they want to hear?

Analyst valuations are quite frequently inflated because they've got clients they represent on the other side of their business who benefit from selling you an overvalued security that *they* were advised to purchase when it was undervalued.

As an investor and one who happens to be a business analyst (from the inside of a software company not on Wall Street), the gullibility of the masses works to my advantage.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Your faith in these Wall Street muppets is misplaced. These are the same people that needed billions of tax payer money to stay afloat not all that long ago. They fail at the capitalism game.

I'd beg to differ. All the top dogs either stayed at their companies and recieved (and are now getting more) truly MASSIVE payouts or golden parachutes, and NOT ONE has been jailed for clearly illegal practices.

If you define capitalism as prosperity for all, then yes they suck. If you define it as it has always been, an abstract hierarchical system to ensure the top dogs stay top dogs, then they play the game beautifully.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that companies, other than your ability to buy their products, give a **** about you or others. Structurally speaking they can't. It's $$$$ that runs the show.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002

The "smartest people in the world" who somehow misjudged the housing market so badly that they plunged our country into a depression. Yes, those "smartest people" indeed.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

You are right, this entire slide has been nothing but panic selling. Nothing else could have possibly influenced people to want to pay less for Apple stock or value it differently. Everyone just sees people selling and decides to sell! First it was profit taking, then it was capital gains tax and now it is just everyone in panic mode! Are you also in the same camp that has been claiming that we should buy the stock since its considered a steal the entire ride down from $705?

Conspiracy theories everywhere! Heavily manipulated stock, nothing to see here folks. Only manipulated when it goes down, when it goes up it is just Apple being awesome!

Macrumors, harboring massive quantities of aluminium hats for Aim Chair Power Brokers since September 2012.

singularitie

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
It's freaking killing me that I bought at $605. I'm not selling (this is a long-term investment), but it's a little soul-crushing watching the stock keep dropping. It'll come back up, though, but it's hard to take right now.

Sorry to hear that. You're right about the long-term but be prepared to see more downward pressure. I bought AAPL @ 584 sold @ 640, bought at 632 sold at 683, bought @ 671 and finally sold @ $702. That day AAPL went to 705 after market hours. Although I made all the right decisions and it feels good, I feel AAPL is being treated unfairly and based on fundamentals it should still trade above $500, if not $550.

I'm looking for $350 to $380 range to get back in the game.

Ditto about the cash. Their share buy-back program needs to accelerate, instead they actually diluted shares in the last few months. Easy way to improve the EPS.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Someone tell me again how Apple is worth $1000 a share even though five quarters forward earnings when they were KILLING IT didn't value them at $580 a share?

Value investing is not fuzzy math, ladies and gents.... there's a reason that Apple's stock price has this much downward elasticity. It's called overvaluation.

No, it's the institutional investors who manage growth portfolio who are dragging the stock down. Apple is way underpriced today. Apple is turning to a blue chip company, like IBM or Microsoft. Apple's last results show that growth will not be double digits.

Those investment managers have to meet criteria, to track a growth index. They are shorting Apple because they cannot hold it anymore.

That's a simple, painful transition. Once the sell off is done, stock price will be up again. Apple's shareholder structure is changing to long term, dividend, structure.

Growth is gone, welcome to stability and dividend.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Sorry to hear that. You're right about the long-term but be prepared to see more downward pressure. I bought AAPL @ 584 sold @ 640, bought at 632 sold at 683, bought @ 671 and finally sold @ $702. That day AAPL went to 705 after market hours. Although I made all the right decisions and it feels good, I feel AAPL is being treated unfairly and based on fundamentals it should still trade above $500, if not $550.

I'm looking for $350 to $380 range to get back in the game.

Ditto about the cash. Their share buy-back program needs to accelerate, instead they actually diluted shares in the last few months. Easy way to improve the EPS.

May I ask why you aren't looking for other bargains that exist currently out there in the market that have as much or greater return potential? (They do exist, trust me.)

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
First post - long long time lurker

Hi All,

First posting because I am a long term investor in AAPL - and quite frankly, this selling makes perfect sense. I am not currently selling because I am underwater, but also don't believe that this is the time to sell anyways.

Here is why:

1) AAPL is 67% institutionally owned.

2) AAPL posted a great quarter, but showed that the days of triple digit iPad/iPhone YOY growth are pretty much over, and EPS has slowed to single digits (down from Q1 2012, where YOY growth was 116%).

These two facts are the most important explanatory reasons for the sell off. YOY growth at 116% with a P/E of 13 is a growth investors dream. 1 year later the EPS is down to 7%, so they exit.

The stock fell from 700 to 500 because people expected the days of triple digit to be over. I bought in during this fall (closer to 500, luckily), understanding that it could be a long road for AAPL - but I also believed that China would be its present and future. I was extremely surprised at how narrowly they beat the street.

The most recent fall is a combination of a narrow beat and poor guidance. What is causing the fall to be even nastier is that Peter admitted that this guidance was realistic - he was no longer wasting our time with stupidly low numbers (even though the numbers he presented should be low).

The current pattern for AAPL in my opinion is a transition from a growth stock into a blue-chip/value-stock and this will take time. The institutions that had it as a growth stock will be dumping very aggressively. Fundamentals will fly out the window short term and we will be in a land of technical indicators and modeling.

Wait it out guys. Huge fundamentals and a low P/E with a dividend are not a bubble stock, don't be fooled. Finally, growth investors are skiddish and could easily come running back with new product or huge deals with massive carriers. They drove it up really fast, and are exiting very fast. If you played the earnings like I did, you ran this risk. Hopefully you don't need the money in the next 3 months.

Good luck to all AAPL share holders and be patient!

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
It's freaking killing me that I bought at $605. I'm not selling (this is a long-term investment), but it's a little soul-crushing watching the stock keep dropping. It'll come back up, though, but it's hard to take right now.

I wouldn't turn a trade into an investment. If you bought apple at 605 with the idea it'll reach 1001 but instead it went to 437 (current price), then that's just a bad trade. Turning a trade into a "long term investment" when the trade goes sour always amounts to tremendous losses.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Excellent news! Maybe Apple will make a phone that challenges my Note 2. No large screen phone will equal Apple's demise. It will be a nice weekend for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.