Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benfica88

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
There was once one on a Sunday I believe, can't remember which one.

There was a beta on a Saturday once before so don't be surprised. However that only gives the developers 2 days before official release??

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I think they are gonna release a beta 5 not the GM.

Based on what? Fact is, Apple stated LTE functionality for the iPhone 5 in newer countries in a week from now, which requires a software update. A 6.0.3 would just be bug fixes, and should not provide additional functionality. Thus, 6.1 is almost required to be released before next Friday.

They would not release an update on the same day a beta expires.

Agreed. Don't think Apple has ever done this.

This is very irresponsible of Apple. I hope we see a release soon.

Lol. Irresponsible? In what way? They haven't surpassed the beta expiration period nor overshot their implied release date. The GM will very likely be released before next Monday, though I would expect today unless something is wrong in iOS developer land.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Please, please: today.

for developers and the general public.

That'd be great.

I needz mah jailbroken 5.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Not happening I don't think got that feeling

Yeah prob right. They will probably wait until October and release it with the new new new iPad. I mean the folks with wifi issues can certainly wait til then for a possible fix. No need to be in a hurry.(who knows if wifi will actually be addressed with 6.1 anyway)

Of course buying movie tickets with siri, well thats another story. Not sure the general public will stand for having to wait much longer for that. :D

Maybe Craig Federighi is scared to sign off on it because of what happened to Scott Forstall. So he just waiting for his stock to go back up in case he is off'ed afterwards. ha

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
I know that Apple always releases the betas at 1PM EST but have they released it at 4PM EST before? If so, then maybe we still have a chance? ###

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple has two days to do something for IOS 6.1 developers as well as IOS 6.1. technicaly you could say Apple has until tomorrow or mid sunday because beta 4 expires Monday. I do not know if there is a "time" where IOS devices running Beta 4 will "brick", but tomorrow or mid sunday is best. It is already 2:46 ET. Maybe 4:00 ET max ET. No one knows. I would rather have betas every week with loads of bugs then have "silence". At least I would know whats being added/fixed. With minimum added features shown so far in IOS 6.1, Apple could be adding more and more. A .1 generally has a good amount of features leading up to the .0. (the .1 = 3.1,4.1, 5.1,6.1..etc)(The .0 is IOS 2.0,3.0,4.0,5.0,6.0,7.0...etc). We could see beta 5 with added features. Bug fixes don't take this long leading to expiration.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Technically, Apple could wait until Sunday to do it, just would seem like they're really running behind or are feeling time pressured.

On the contrary, has apple ever skipped the GM of a X.1.0 update and just gone straight to final release?

Either way there isn't much room for concern, they stated LTE functionality before end of next week, which needs to come in the form of iOS 6.1, thus the timeline is the same regardless of the GM date changing.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Lol. Irresponsible? In what way? They haven't surpassed the beta expiration period nor overshot their implied release date. The GM will very likely be released before next Monday, though I would expect today unless something is wrong in iOS developer land.

How is it irresponsible? Did they promise a specific release date? Is your phone not functioning until you get this update?

Irresponsible may have been *too* strong a word (not that what I say should be upsetting :rolleyes:) but I find it troubling that developers are being left guessing and hoping that they can continue to develop for the latest firmware come Monday.

Apple never promised that we would see an update before the expiration of the beta we are using currently but it's expected that we, being in the dev program, would be kept well-supplied to build for iOS.

If we don't see a weekend release it's possible we will see devs w/o devices (especially if they aren't connected to the web once the beta expires) to develop for w/o rolling back to 6.0.1/6.0.2.

Then of course there are situations like with the user below:

Well for me it's going to be particularly annoying if I don't get a chance to update on Monday and my phone bricks. :mad:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Irresponsible may have been *too* strong a word (not that what I say should be upsetting :rolleyes:) but I find it troubling that developers are being left guessing and hoping that they can continue to develop for the latest firmware come Monday.

Apple never promised that we would see an update before the expiration of the beta we are using currently but it's expected that we, being in the dev program, would be kept well-supplied to build for iOS.

If we don't see a weekend release it's possible we will see devs w/o devices (especially if they aren't connected to the web once the beta expires) to develop for w/o rolling back to 6.0.1/6.0.2.

Then of course there are situations like with the user below:

There will be a 6.1 GM, beta 5 or public release before Monday. Obviously they won't leave a gap in-between beta expiration and a subsequent release. Developers have had months to test on 6.1, the only changes have been mainly to patching bugs, not introducing new problematic features.

If you have on internet connectivity on your dev iOS device, then I don't know why you are developing in the first place. A beta device, as prescribed by Apple, should never be your "daily driver".

If you are using iOS 6.1 beta as your personal phone's firmware, I would highly recommend downgrading before Monday.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yes, but you can't use 6.1 backups.

Ah ok. But you would at least have a working phone until 6.1 drops. Guess better than bricked especially if this is your regular device not "test unit".

Also I tend to keep several backups especially the one just after each iOS update. Not sure why I do but with what you are saying my be a good enough reason to. This is the iTunes backup I am referring to. I rename them as 5.1 5.1.1, 6 etc. My regular backups are to iCloud so guess they would be only for the current iOS and could be used in this case once iOS 6.1 is released.

----------

It is not possible to downgrade...

Really? So which is it you can or cant? I have seen posts saying you can and a few saying you cant. The past one said you can but cannot use the backups from the beta version. Anyone know for sure if you can downgrade a beta to the last current version? Perhaps via DFU or manual choosing of ipsw file?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Ah ok. But you would at least have a working phone until 6.1 drops. Guess better than bricked especially if this is your regular device not "test unit".

Also I tend to keep several backups especially the one just after each iOS update. Not sure why I do but with what you are saying my be a good enough reason to. This is the iTunes backup I am referring to. I rename them as 5.1 5.1.1, 6 etc. My regular backups are to iCloud so guess they would be only for the current iOS and could be used in this case once iOS 6.1 is released.

----------

Really? So which is it you can or cant? I have seen posts saying you can and a few saying you cant. The past one said you can but cannot use the backups from the beta version. Anyone know for sure if you can downgrade a beta to the last current version? Perhaps via DFU or manual choosing of ipsw file?

You can downgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.