Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What seems totally wrong about this still (haven't watched the scene yet) is Josh Gad's curly/kinky hair as Woz.

jobs-wozniak.jpg

:p

B

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There is nothing wrong with a movie taking creative license with the story of Steve Jobs. The problem is that it is more or less presented as fact -- and helps to create a myth about his true initial motivations and the role of others in the creation of Apple.
Oh god, not another one. Fact?

You people really don't know what that word means. Hollywood movie = fact. Yeah.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think the mistake all these Steve Jobs stories make is focusing too much on the Jobs/Wozniak era which is fairly small in terms of Jobs' overall career.

Really the most defining era of Jobs was during the Macintosh, return to Apple after exile, iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad...all of which take place long after Wozniak was out of the picture.

Jobs is far more synonymous with with the Mac and i-devices, than the Apple II.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
I had the feeling it was all wrong. Now Woz has chimed in to confirm that. And come one guys- If you wrote a book about your past achievements and how it went down and saw something portray it totally inaccurately on TV, you'd be telling people to read your book too. Check it out at the library if you don't want to buy it.

Just because you suggest your writing to someone doesn't mean that your primary motivation is monetary compensation.

Also a movie can be pretty accurate and still be entertaining. That's called good story-telling. Poetic license can mean changing some events to make them more dramatic or understandable, not changing the whole feeling and important elements of the story. If you need to do that, then create other fictional characters, because obviously you are not fit to tell the true story here.

jkdsteve

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
It's a movie fer christ's sake.

As fun as it is to listen to Woz...hasn't been relevant for what, 20 years now?

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Wozniak Rules!!!

I'd basically believe anything Woz has to say, even more so than if Jobs was still alive. They really should have gone to Woz first, for techincal aspects of this movie.

:) :) :) :)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Okay, but why aren't film makers consulting the people they're making a movie about? I thought it was the absolute most basic thing to do: ask those who you make a movie about, let them tell you how it happened, isn't that the most authentic way of doing things?

Walter Isaacson didn't just write the biography without consulting everyone he could about everything.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
When Woz is still there, I can't believe the movie makers did not sit with him and get the facts straight.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
It would be much better if they made this an accurate movie. They can have fun with it in other ways but changing what was said by who I think is just wrong. Take artistic liberties elsewhere in the movie design process.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Oh come on, Woz! It's a movie, it's supposed to take some creative license. I'm sure the true way it happened is probably rather boring...nobody wants to see that!

Exactly! Consider how boring a movie would be about how Jobs got his ideas. With a bit of creative license I'm thinking a movie that starts with Jobs making a deal at a crossroad and ends with the man he made the deal with collecting would be a lot more interesting!

The best part of the movie is the end, where Jobs ascends into heaven.
There is the issue with Jobs being a Buddhist...

What seems totally wrong about this still (haven't watched the scene yet) is Josh Gad's curly/kinky hair as Woz.

:p

B

That photo really explains why Kutcher was picked as Jobs.

Last edited:

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I'm embarrassed but if the movie is fun and entertaining, all the better.

Woz is such a good guy. He points out blatant inaccuracies without sounding bitter about it. And then still taking an opportunity to plug his book at the end.

<3 Woz

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Totally disagree....

I fully realize this is a movie -- but that doesn't give the writers an automatic pass to misrepresent things.

When you make a movie about an event that happened far in the past, it's one thing. All the people you could have consulted to get the facts are dead. Your job a a movie-maker is to read the information you're able to get and to imaginatively fill in the blanks.

If you have no interest in making the effort when major characters in your movie are alive and well, and could simply be interviewed? That's ridiculous and ruins the quality of the production, IMO.

And sure, there's such a thing as "artistic license". But the same people who hide behind that as an excuse for laziness in researching how to make the movie portray events or people accurately turn around and slap, "Based on a true story!" banners all over the place. IMO, you can't really have it both ways. If you want the sales it generates to promise your movie portrays real events or people, you either portray them realistically or your film is that much worse for not doing so.

People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good.

Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
People need to realize that a movie like this is a representation of what happened and NOT actually what happened. Throw in creative license for entertainment purposes and you have a movie that will probably be pretty good. Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

If the movie was about you, I am certain you'd have a different opinion.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Why do so many Apple fanboys say hostile things about Woz? Such fanboys are ingrates. Without Woz, there would never have been Apple, and thus this forum would have never existed for those fanboys to make such ignorant remarks.

It's a shame that Woz doesn't get the level of credit he so richly deserves.

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Hollywood getting something wrong? What did they do right?

PS- I love Woz. I like that he'll burn Apple to the ground if they deserve it.

JoeIsInTheCloud

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Settle down, Woz...

That's ok, Woz. All of these movies take fictional liberties in order to be entertaining. Nobody takes them as gospel anymore than anyone with any context believes you invented the personal computer. Relax.

----------

Why do so many Apple fanboys say hostile things about Woz? Such fanboys are ingrates. Without Woz, there would never have been Apple, and thus this forum would have never existed those fanboys to make such ignorant remarks.

Oh, give me a break, Thomas! Did you notice the subtitle of his book includes the phrase "How I invented the personal computer"? Woz gets more credit than he deserves from Apple Fanboys and so-called computer "journalists" alike. If you believe he invented the personal computer, allow me to convince you how I invented sex.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Why do so many Apple fanboys say hostile things about Woz? Such fanboys are ingrates. Without Woz, there would never have been Apple, and thus this forum would have never existed those fanboys to make such ignorant remarks.

And exactly where was your boy WOZ when the company almost folded? So by your words, without WOZ there wouldn't have been a dying company called Apple Computer.
Where was WOZ when the company got back on it's feet and became the success it is today? WOZ had ZERO to do with Apple's success today, ZERO.

Your name calling is just unnecessary and rude.

JoeIsInTheCloud

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
WOZ had ZERO to do with Apple's success today, ZERO.

Absolutely correct, sir. But he has demigod status among the mass media, along with "tech journalists" (i.e. Cringely, et. al.) who should know better. Since Jobs is dead, and Woz is so accessible, they trip over themselves to probe the mind of Apple employee #1. It's the same old ignorance and revisionism that's easily swallowed by a general public.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
OK. Woz is a genius. He's a legend. But he has the ego of Zeus. I listened to the audio book iWoz, and how many times do I have to hear how great he thinks he is, how *he* did this and *he* did that, and *I* am this good, and *I* am the only one to do this.

I barely got through the book, as half of the book is Woz telling us how great he is and how smart he is... we already know that... the guy is a genius. I just don't like it when someone tells me how much of a genius they are. If someone else wants to write about him, that's fine.

Woz isn't afraid to tell you how great he is and that he did something you can't do. I would like a bit more modesty.

Bryan

I wonder what would happen if Apple Brought Woz back on the Board of Directors?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.