Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Half-Life, the first person shooter originally released in 1998, skyrocketed developer Valve to fame and influenced an entire generation of first person shooters. Despite its popularity, the game has never been available through Steam for Mac, until today.

halflife.jpg
As discovered by Cult of Mac, Valve released Half-Life for Mac on Steam this morning, though the company has yet to make an official announcement about the product.

Other Valve games like Half-Life 2 and its episodes have been previously available on the Mac version of Steam, but users can now add the original Half-Life to their collections for $9.99. It has also been bundled into several different value packs.

Half-Life was originally developed for the Mac back when the Windows version was released, but due to disagreements with Apple, the Mac version was scrapped at the time.

The Half-Life page in Steam still indicates that the game is Windows only, but Cult of Mac bought and installed the game on a Mac to confirm that it functions. The game can be purchased via Steam for Mac for $9.99.

Article Link: Valve's Original Half-Life Now Available on Steam for Mac

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
That game was awesome when it first came out.
I used to play it up close on a 120" projection screen with 5.1 Surround system in the dark and it was very scary!

I wonder if Steam would let me play it on the Mac for free, considering I owned the Windows version.
I guess I'll sign in later to see what happens.

jhpadilla

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Where?

I've just clicked the link.... It says Windows only... Where is the Mac version?

EDIT:

Oh okok, it appeared on the Library tab of the Steam app in Mac. Wow FINALLY after all these YEARS (literally) !!! Downloading now!!!!!

Last edited:

r0d3nt

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
I had seen an article over on Phoronix about a Half-Life Beta for Linux Steam yesterday, so I decided to check my Mac and was thrilled to see Half-Life was listed as a game that I could install! I got it installed and it runs wonderfully on my 2009 iMac. I did notice in the Linux version [which doesn't launch for some reason that I still need to look into] that there appear to be directories for the other Half-Life games as well [Blue Shift, Opposing Forces]? These might be making the jump to Linux/Mac as well!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Lets hope Opposing Force and Blue Shift follow, all three are amazing games.

I remember writing but not sending hate mails to Gabe Newell because they'd promised a Mac version from back when the game was in initial development, then backed out.

My rage feels vindicated somehow! :)

Messineo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
It works!

I started up steam and it recognized my old PC version. I was able to download the Mac version for free (in minutes) and it plays great!

I know what I'll be doing this week-end. :)

Baaja

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Somebody needs to try and install a mod for this new release of Half-Life..I'm really excited to see if this will work! Probably wont as mods use their own DLLs.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I've been waiting for this for a longgg time! I hope the 3rd party mods are also compatible, can anyone say?

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
I've just clicked the link.... It says Windows only... Where is the Mac version?

EDIT:

Oh okok, it appeared on the Library tab of the Steam app in Mac. Wow FINALLY after all these YEARS (literally) !!! Downloading now!!!!!

Thanks for the note there. I purchased Half Life 1, even though Steam still only shows the Windows icon there, and then afterwards it began downloading the Mac version.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I remember writing but not sending hate mails to Gabe Newell because they'd promised a Mac version from back when the game was in initial development, then backed out.

My rage feels vindicated somehow! :)

See, this is the problem with young people these days, no patience! If they don't get what they want within 15 years, they get all stroppy! Why, back in my day...

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.