Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Trolling aside, I do believe the iPhone 5 and 4 inch screen was without a doubt a reaction to the Android market and the increasingly larger phones. Apple will react again at some point, whether it be 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen, but for me personally it might be too late.

I LOVE all of my Apple products, I have a Macbook pro which couldnt be pried away from my hands. The iPad is awesome. I want a bigger phone though, and the only thing keeping me with iPhone for the time being is the ecosystem, however I'm constantly looking into all that would be required to switch platforms and I have to say I am close to the point where a new state of the art Samsung phone in the ~5" range would be seriously appealing to me. I'm close to switching, and can't imagine that I am the only one.

I went to the Galaxy S3 from a 4S. I gave my brother the 4S. About 3 days later I was begging for my 4S back. The S3 screen is a nice size but the OS and build quality is very poor IMO. Have the iPhone 5 now and I love it. A bigger iPhone screen would be even better though.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Let me ask again. Apple professed for years, 3.5 inches was the perfect screen size. And the Apple hopeful completely ate it all up and were in complete agreement. So now they believe 4 inches is perfect and that's how they advertise it. So if 4 inches is the perfect size, what about all those years at 3.5 inches?

I'm wondering whether to answer this question or not.Times change, products change, perceptions change. Screens with many have increased in size, just as the iPhone was a leap over other screens. We all have a opinions on what sizes we prefer.

To suggest "Apple hopeful" completely ate it and were in complete agreement is an unbelievable statement. Just looking at the forum you see regular comments from your "Apple hopeful" stating they want different specs to what they are getting.

Your statement is?

a/ Naive
b/ trolling
c/ poorly thought out
d/ all of the above

(Note - not intended to offend. Just a light hearted look at a comment that is so full of holes it could make a good sieve.)

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
Speaking only for myself, I said I was fine with the 3.5 inch screen because for me, the advantages of iOS and the app selection/quality far surpassed the advantages of a 1" bigger screen.

I also preferred the build quality of the iPhones. Since they moved to 4 inches and managed to make the phone only a tiny bit taller while making it thinner and lighter...SURE, why not? I don't think that makes me a hypocrite. And if they somehow manage to make a 4.7" screen while keeping the phone small by shrinking (or eliminating?) the bezel, SURE why not?

A bigger screen would be great, but not if it makes the phone heavy or bulky. And if I have to give up Airplay, my apps, and move all my iCloud stored photos and music? No way.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
What's wrong with it exactly? I hear the anti-Apple zealots always saying how iPhone sux, iOS sux, but they never say why. "because you are bored with the home screen" isn't a reason either. I can tell you a dozen reasons why Android sucks though.

----------

What does the SG3 have that's enticing you? A larger, but inferior, screen? What is it about Samsung that people think is so innovative?

I for one want my phone to be as small and light as possible. I carry it in my front pocket, I run and workout with it, I use it with one hand while holding coffee walking down the street. These large phones may be good for people who always have two hands free, or for women who put them in their purse, but that's not me.
Here is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nh2NSLgaII

I think this video makes you think differently about the Galaxy phones. At least it made me take a closer look at my girlfriends S2. Now I know not too many people would hook a monitor up to a phone, but the potential is there! I've always been an Apple fan and have all their products. My contract is up in May and I hope the 5S is worth the wait. I didn't feel the iPhone 5 was worth paying the full price to upgrade from my 4S.

Haswell

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
USA
Who cares how much the phone costs. It's the monthly fees that are the real killer. Give me lower monthly rates, then I'll think about getting a smartphone/iPhone.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
I hope the battery gets better with the 5S. My 4S battery sucks and without Mophie, I have to have the iphone connected to a charger all the time..

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Here is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nh2NSLgaII

I think this video makes you think differently about the Galaxy phones. At least it made me take a closer look at my girlfriends S2. Now I know not too many people would hook a monitor up to a phone, but the potential is there! I've always been an Apple fan and have all their products. My contract is up in May and I hope the 5S is worth the wait. I didn't feel the iPhone 5 was worth paying the full price to upgrade from my 4S.

My wife bought an SIII and while the screen is nice, I can't really get into Android. There are some extra features, but I much prefer the ease of use of the iPhone.
I hope the battery gets better with the 5S. My 4S battery sucks and without Mophie, I have to have the iphone connected to a charger all the time..

Really? My 4S has great battery life. Have you tried conditioning the battery?

I went to the Galaxy S3 from a 4S. I gave my brother the 4S. About 3 days later I was begging for my 4S back. The S3 screen is a nice size but the OS and build quality is very poor IMO. Have the iPhone 5 now and I love it. A bigger iPhone screen would be even better though.

Exactly! Sort of lol. The build quality is good, but the iPhone is great. My wife's SIII just feels awkward to me due to the screen size. Also, the fact that the icons for apps are various sizes kind of makes it harder to locate certain apps and looks sloppy IMO. Minor quibble, but still noticeable to anyone with an artistic bent.

Last edited:

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
The iPhone 5 with 99% Adobe RGB is the one with the most accurate colours, not the overblown OLED colours that are in the 115% range. And the iPhone 5 has proper RGB pixels, not PenTile as some OLED screens have, including the Galaxy S3.

Of course OLED screens could be calibrated for 100% Adobe RGB to make them accurate, but that isn't happening. Until then, the LED backlit IPS LCD is still the better option.
It is happening. Not only you have different picture modes on Android, e.g. Standard, Dynamic, Movie, you can also install various apps to calibrate OLED to any color space you want. I am not doing on my phone a movie CGI post-production, so I do prefer a bit more vivid colors.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
My wife bought an SIII and while the screen is nice, I can't really get into Android. There are some extra features, but I much prefer the ease of use of the iPhone.

Really? My 4S has great battery life. Have you tried conditioning the battery?

Exactly! Sort of lol. The build quality is good, but the iPhone is great. My wife's SIII just feels awkward to me due to the screen size. Also, the fact that the icons for apps are various sizes kind of makes it harder to locate certain apps and looks sloppy IMO. Minor quibble, but still noticeable to anyone with an artistic bent.
I haven't conditioned it. I've had it for years now and figured it wouldn't help. I did have it in a regular case this past weekend and was on the phone a lot and it only lasted 6 hours.I mainly use a Mophie case and it is capable of 150% battery life, which works well for me.

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.

Every time I see a Samsung commercial ,which features only one thing: photo editing, I wonder who the **** gives a **** about making a birthday card on your phone.

----------

I get about 5-6 days standby and 7 hours of using it. Not that bad.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I never bought an iPhone because the screen size has been always to small for me. Heck my Razzr max with a 4.3" screen could be bigger. I think 4.5 would be perfect. At that point I may think about Apple for a phone but until then I will stick with Google.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Either that, or you'll have a smaller home button.

Though why all the hate for bezels? It's not like I'm bothered by the one around my iPad right now. Sure, it could make for a potentially smaller device if the front is mostly screen, but it'll also make it that much more difficult to hold.

This rumor really doesn't make any sense for the full size iPad, but it's exactly what I'm hoping for on an upcoming mini.

Just cut the weight of the full size iPad -- reducing the bezels would only make it more difficult to use (even with good touch rejection). What would be gained from it? It still wouldn't get it into the range of what could be considered pocketable. What would be the point?

The mini, on the other hand, would become my dream large(ish) portable device with this bezel reduction. I'm hangin with the Nexus 7 till this hopefully comes along.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
October would be too late. It should come out in April at the latest.

And a 128GB option is required.

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
I want the iPad 5 already. Can't get on board with the mini, the screen is just too small. But a smaller lighter version of my ipad 4 sounds great!

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
phones will soon die off, the ipad is where it's at. the iphone, while successful, is merely a side step, a dip in a world where people rely on traditional voice services. i expect the ipad to shrink to pocketable size rather than iphone to grow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.