Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
The point of it would be to protect the screen when not in use and used as a kick stand. The sleep when closed feature is the least desired out of the three.

That looks really awesome! I just send apple feedback on the iPhone and said I would like to see a Smart Cover for it. Like I said you did a really good job making that look good.

----------

Have fun trying to take a quick photo with a flip case! Flip it open, wrap it around the back and oops, it's blocking the camera. Or hold the cover out with one hand, and trying holding and taking pic with the other.

Good point have not thought about that. But I think that could be worked out.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
That looks really awesome! I just send apple feedback on the iPhone and said I would like to see a Smart Cover for it. Like I said you did a really good job making that look good.

----------

Good point have not thought about that. But I think that could be worked out.

It could work if the cover was quickly detachable, instead of just a wrap. Not sure if that would require magnets on the case.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Have fun trying to take a quick photo with a flip case! Flip it open, wrap it around the back and oops, it's blocking the camera. Or hold the cover out with one hand, and trying holding and taking pic with the other.

All you would have to do is fold one half of the Smart Cover over..

ddba30c341a304835d9574485da6803b.jpg

Or just detach it. Man someone really needs to make this for the 4/4S. Idk about the 5 because it doesn't stick to it like it does on the 4/4S.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

Or just detach it. Man someone really needs to make this for the 4/4S. Idk about the 5 because it doesn't stick to it like it does on the 4/4S.

That would work for using the camera.

----------

There is going to be a iPhone case/cover coming from apple that's supposedly going to turn the entire case market upside down.

I have heard nothing about this. It would be great if they did.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I prefer to have my phone with as little casing as possible. I have a rigid silicone case on my iP5 that I bought from Tesco for £6 and it barely looks like the phone as a cover on it, being completely clear. I also have a decent screen protector too. Can't be fiddling around with flip cases I'm afraid.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
http://www.spigen.co.kr/shop/detail.php?pno=65684369725BE7C63A49221213A928E6&cno1=1001&rURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spigen.co.kr%2Fshop%2Fbig_section.php%3Fcno1%3D2203&cafe_id=

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
magnetic mat case

the case industry is way ahead of y'all

No you are very wrong. All the ones I saw were cases that had a magnetic cover on the back of the case. None of the cover the screen. I am not sure you understand what a Smart Cover is. I know that magnetic technology has been out forever, but apple has not used it for the Smart Cover in the iPhone. I am not saying I or anyone that has posted is saying they came up with something new. I just had an idea for something apple already made just for a different product.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
http://www.spigen.co.kr/shop/detail.php?pno=65684369725BE7C63A49221213A928E6&cno1=1001&rURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spigen.co.kr%2Fshop%2Fbig_section.php%3Fcno1%3D2203&cafe_id=

Yes this is not a Smart Cover also it looks like this is a Korean site. I can't speak Korean so this does not help.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I think we will see a lot of these because apple I am sure has the patent for the Smart Cover technology.

Tidy tilt so retarded IMO, why would you want a Smart Cover on the back of the phone?! And you have to glue a magnetic peace to your phone? YEAH OK. Good luck with that. "Oh but you can stuck your phone on the fridge!" Lmao

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Tidy tilt so retarded IMO, why would you want a Smart Cover on the back of the phone?! And you have to glue a magnetic peace to your phone? YEAH OK. Good luck with that. "Oh but you can stuck your phone on the fridge!" Lmao

Yea I know what the the purpose. Think companies are trying to sell stuff that may look somewhat the same, but they can't use the Smart Cover technology cause we all know apple would sue the crap out of them.

Number29

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
The problem with a Smart Cover for the iPhone is that they are relatively clumsy and are specifically designed as a means to prop up the device in a viewing or typing angle, which are features that just aren't really necessary for a pocket sized device like the iPhone that is designed to be operated while Nestled in your palm.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Yea I know what the the purpose. Think companies are trying to sell stuff that may look somewhat the same, but they can't use the Smart Cover technology cause we all know apple would sue the crap out of them.
There are plenty of Smart covers that aren't made by Apple. IDK, licensed, I suppose. But I'm not sure that is necessary, it's just a magnet in the case, no proprietary tech. It's just a feature they have to follow to match up with the iPad, like matching button location. Someone would probably have to license it to put the actual tech side of it in a phone.

I personally don't see the point of what you want for the phone, but it is interesting. I hit one of the buttons as I pick it up, so it's not really an extra motion to me, don't need a case to Wake for me. There are plenty of cases that do everything else that has been mentioned (except the Smart tech, of course), just search for "folio" case.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
There are plenty of Smart covers that aren't made by Apple. IDK, licensed, I suppose. But I'm not sure that is necessary, it's just a magnet in the case, no proprietary tech. It's just a feature they have to follow to match up with the iPad, like matching button location. Someone would probably have to license it to put the actual tech side of it in a phone.

I personally don't see the point of what you want for the phone, but it is interesting. I hit one of the buttons as I pick it up, so it's not really an extra motion to me, don't need a case to Wake for me. There are plenty of cases that do everything else that has been mentioned (except the Smart tech, of course), just search for "folio" case.

I just like that it does have the magnets and it has a slim fit. The cases that are out are nice, but they don't stay closed unless they have latch or something. Also the apple one is very slim. I don't know maybe it want ever happen I just would not mind seeing it.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

I just want to say that this is one nice mock up...

Anywho like the poster up above said its just to clumsy. This is a portable highly use hand held device especially since it has a camera thats highly used.
This is the same reason I loath folio and wallet style cases..

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
ahhh smart cover on an iphone, ehhh guys you aren't thinking this through.

Think about it, an ipad is not in and out of your pockets all day, a phone is.

Smart cover held on only by...magnets....easily detached....you know much you'd be fussing with it trying to keep it attached to your phone??

Just get an iphone case fellas...

Agreed. A smart cover held on by magnets isn't a great idea. I wouldn't buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.