Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
huh? its the most obvious button on the top, just like on apple maps
well first you have to search or enter the destination, select the car on the bottom, select the car on the top, then select the route. And it doesn't show you the map of the route until after it's selected. It confused a lot of folks who were used to Apple's maps (before and after google). I'm not saying that Google doesn't make a good looking interface, but it's not the most intuitive.

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
One day soon, I'm gonna invent a time machine. When that day comes, the first thing I'll do is head back in time, find the guy who first coined "...you are the product", and smack him upside the head as hard as I can.

Maybe it'll shame him enough so he'll never say it. Then, when I come back to the present, I'll never have to hear anyone ever say it again. It is the STUPIDEST damn thing people on Apple boards say.

I mean hell. You've always "been the product" for Google. No one had a problem with this until they released Android. Now apparently it's this horrible thing, being able to use a product for free in exchange for demographic data.

God, I tell ya. I wish some people would think about the things they say rather than hop onto the latest catchphrase bandwagon.

Steve would never of allowed that. :-D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well first you have to search or enter the destination, select the car on the bottom, select the car on the top, then select the route. And it doesn't show you the map of the route until after it's selected. It confused a lot of folks who were used to Apple's maps (before and after google). I'm not saying that Google doesn't make a good looking interface, but it's not the most intuitive.

depends. Honestly first time I used Apple maps I had a lot of trouble using it. I tried to use it like google maps. I am use to how things work on Android. Helping my mom figure it out on her iPhone was tricky for me.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Non-starter due to requiring you to log-in with your Google ID.

I will not use apps that require login for no reason.

I realize that logging-in can offer some benefits (such as sharing with a desktop machine) but is absolutely not a need for a newsreader app.

Pass.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Heh. I actually prefer the more robust, feature-packed Android version of Google Maps to the iOS version and keep waiting for the iOS version to update. YMMV.

Yep: Android wifi only tablet plus iPhone tethered for data = Mint navigation system in the car :D

----------

Non-starter due to requiring you to log-in with your Google ID.

I will not use apps that require login for no reason.

I realize that logging-in can offer some benefits (such as sharing with a desktop machine) but is absolutely not a need for a newsreader app.

Pass.

Well what harm does it do you? And unless there’s a mss boycott, you’ll be the one who’s missing out ;)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I believe in giving credit where credits due.

Google has done a great job with the various mobile services, iOS App's apps, and the like. They've been a true contributor to the iPhones success.

Apple learned the hard way when they walked away from google maps. Google stepped up showing that they don't let their egos get in the way.

Even being the target of Apple' wrath, Google realizes how valuable public image is.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Well what harm does it do you? And unless there’s a mss boycott, you’ll be the one who’s missing out ;)

I've no interest in Google - or anybody else - tracking what news I read.

I realize that all of the news aggregators certainly collect both aggregate and personal usage information, but without registration, it isn't tied to my personal identity, and not tracked across multiple services.

A Google ID is the closest thing we have to an official Government ID. Not issued by the government, but might as well be.

I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I just don't think it's prudent to hand over my:

- reading habits
- political leanings
- purchase history
- web searches
- contacts and affiliations
- where I'm looking on a map
- etc. etc. etc.

to a single organization for incorporation into their database about me.

I have a Google ID because I need one because I am a software developer and registered for some Google APIs. As well, I ocassionaly use Google Wallet to make a purchase. I search logged-out. I don't have a Facebook account.

There is absolutely no reason they need this in order for me to read news. I use Zite and News360, which I'm pretty happy with. (Though Zite much more so before their recent acquisition by CNN and "improved" app.) Neither require that you log-in to use the app.

Riles31

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Currents for IOS

First tried Pulse, then Flipboard and finally Currents.. After a few months it's still great. Excellent UI, easy to read and offers a broad range of reading materials. Love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.