Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
If it has NFC and the fingerprint scanner I'll probably upgrade - if not I won't.

Regardless got my unlock done today before it becomes illegal to do....

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Personally, i think the introduction of IGZO screens will be pretty sweet if it happens. iPhone upgrades have always been incremental even in the era of Jobs. Apple is producing top of the line hardware, it's the next edition of iOS that will make or break the iPhone.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Samsung is all over NFC and its gaining momentum.

Yep, and I hope you're right.

NFC was what I was hoping for in the 5 release.

It's strange how I was ridiculed and howled down in this forum for suggesting it.
Apple were so wise in not deciding to go with it.
Apple could never do wrong. pffft.

"Paywave" (Visa) and "Tap & Go" (Mastercard) is alive, and thriving well in my country.
It would have made perfect sense to have this built into a phone.

But hey - what would I know? What would I know about "innovation"?
Apple only give you what *they* think is good.

That's my rant for the day. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy

bbasra

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
I really want to throw my S3 away. With these rumours, i think i will just buy the Samsung S4 in april!

I'm not even tempted to come back to IOS. Come on Apple, you can do better than that!

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
You ppl infuriate me! you're just as frick'n fickle as the idiots we call "analysts". One f'n report comes out with 1 detail about a "possibility" of an upgraded camera. You ppl piss me off! Holy crap look at all you calling burning of apple and their execs. YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! This is an analyst who gets paid to guess. Well here ya go.

"I think we'll see a minor cpu bump, and upgraded camera and possibly NFC." Where's my flip'n 6 figure pay check for being an ANALIST. Seriously ppl, we're months out and your piss'n your pants complaining like the world is going to end and that these are the final specs that are set in stone. Bunch of fools if I've ever seen one. Jump off a cliff will ya.

----------

I really want to throw my S3 away. With these rumours, i think i will just buy the Samsung S4 in april!

I'm not even tempted to come back to IOS. Come on Apple, you can do better than that!

1... 1 rumor and your all "i'm gona leave". Goodbye.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
With Tim doubling up on security we don't get product leaks anymore.

I hope so. I liked the days of being surprised on announcement day. It's boring when you know 99% of what they're going to say.

BTW... someone else mentioned how the Galaxy S4 rumors were more interesting.... Looking, I didn't really see anything other then rumored spec bumps. Although, I do think the Galaxy Refrigerator will be a hit! Three foot screen and an ice maker in the door! :p

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
iPhone 5S will have a fingerprint reader, and like SIRI, will be the major upgrade for the S model. I have the 4S now, and I'll be getting the 5S on release.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
The iPhone 5 is a superb phone. It's fast, it's got good battery life, the camera is more than decent and the OS is still very good, just like it has been for the last two years. Really, what's not to like? Or even more, what's to improve? It's near perfect.

Apple has come to the point where their products are superior but they're not recognized as such. Why? Because of simple psychological mechanisms which boil down to: bigger is better. Simply put, the iPhone 5 doesn't look as superior as it is because competitors have bigger screens. It's not widgets that make Android more interesting to some, it's the screen size.

This is because Apple has made an error in judgement by preferring one-handed use over large screens. People like big screens more than they like to use their phone with one hand. The market has spoken and Apple should acknowledge that.

Simple conclusion: the market has become to big to maintain a 'one size fits all' strategy. One size does not fit all. Every product Apple makes comes in different sizes, except for the iPhone. That's not how it should be. Apple should release an 'iPhone+' with a 4.7" screen and they should do it this spring, not a year later.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
I still don't understand what people mean by "radical features" an iPhone released this year should have?

What could they possibly add to the hardware that would be a "radical feature"?

Let me help you out there:

-First they need to upgrade their memory chips so they're fast enough to support gigabit wifi.
- Throw in 802.11ac wifi chips.
- Release an updated Airport Extreme which supports the 802.11ac standard

Now I really never need to plug my phone in to sync anything with my PC and of course they're going to build an app that allows you to share photos/videos/files with your friends directly between phones using the new wifi protocol.

Next they need to use a nanoproof coating from the factory to make the phone water resistant out of the box.

Throw in an IGZO screen and some souped up battery tech to allow us to go longer on a charge than ever before.

Add in the rumored fingerprint sensor and allow anybody to go to an Apple Store and "upload" their credit and debit cards directly onto the phone so people can begin to get rid of their wallets (I know this feature will make paranoid types flinch, but that's the direction things will ultimately go).

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Let me get this right; if rumours are to be believed, Samsung will launch the galaxy 4S around march/April with a glorious 5" screen, improved camera, wireless charging, further advanced OS, NFC, eight core processor and no doubt as thin as **** with a host of other goodies. Apples response ... Upgrade the camera!

WTF is going on at Apple. Once an innovative company, these days they can't even innovate a cardboard box (although if they did, they'd prioritise making it so thin it couldn't hold anything, include no lid and charge twice as much for it!)

Seems all Apple are good for these days is bringing out duff, boring products with reduced features ... no doubt as they're too busy resting on their laurels, in court trying to sue others instead of actually designing and bringing out great products

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
iOS 7 preview in March/April then with new Apple TV which will also now have an App Store!

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK

No, they'll loose the jack altogether so they can make it even thinner, then try and convince you that you don't need one until 6 months down the line when they bring out one with a jack for twice the price and say they've listened to public demand.

----------

You ppl infuriate me! you're just as frick'n fickle as the idiots we call "analysts". One f'n report comes out with 1 detail about a "possibility" of an upgraded camera. You ppl piss me off! Holy crap look at all you calling burning of apple and their execs. YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! This is an analyst who gets paid to guess. Well here ya go.

"I think we'll see a minor cpu bump, and upgraded camera and possibly NFC." Where's my flip'n 6 figure pay check for being an ANALIST. Seriously ppl, we're months out and your piss'n your pants complaining like the world is going to end and that these are the final specs that are set in stone. Bunch of fools if I've ever seen one. Jump off a cliff will ya.

----------

1... 1 rumor and your all "i'm gona leave". Goodbye.

Wow, are you retarded?

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Disagreed. I'm occasionally seeing some people with Samsung Galaxies lately. They look like such losers with phones so huge. Like, get a life. Using a phone all day is not a life.

If you think people using phones like the S3 with larger screens are loosers then I think it's YOU that needs to get a life!

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Lets sum up what has been said

iPhone 5s = incrimental update

Macrumor members say the phone is already perfect yet they keep buying every new gen iPhone

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Let me help you out there:

-First they need to upgrade their memory chips so they're fast enough to support gigabit wifi.
- Throw in 802.11ac wifi chips.
- Release an updated Airport Extreme which supports the 802.11ac standard

Now I really never need to plug my phone in to sync anything with my PC and of course they're going to build an app that allows you to share photos/videos/files with your friends directly between phones using the new wifi protocol.

Next they need to use a nanoproof coating from the factory to make the phone water resistant out of the box.

Throw in an IGZO screen and some souped up battery tech to allow us to go longer on a charge than ever before.

Add in the rumored fingerprint sensor and allow anybody to go to an Apple Store and "upload" their credit and debit cards directly onto the phone so people can begin to get rid of their wallets (I know this feature will make paranoid types flinch, but that's the direction things will ultimately go).

I like it - just don't see it happening for an 'S' update - but for an iPhone 6?....

I had forgotten about the new ac wifi protocol....as far as batteries go, I think thats the one place in the hardware across most tech industries that could use some big time innovation - a move away from Li-ion to something else....

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
But what could they add with IOS 7 that would be exciting. Most of the IOS upgrades don't seem to have that WOW factor.

Especially iOS 6.

FB Integration? Yawn.
Shared Photo Streams? Needs to be 2 sided.
Siri Enhancements? Still slow.
New Maps? Lacked major info.

All other "features" were mostly minor aside from Passbook. Passbook works very well. Just wish more companies would get on board.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Let me get this right; if rumours are to be believed, Samsung will launch the galaxy 4S around march/April with a glorious 5" screen, improved camera, wireless charging, further advanced OS, NFC, eight core processor and no doubt as thin as **** with a host of other goodies. Apples response ... Upgrade the camera!

WTF is going on at Apple. Once an innovative company, these days they can't even innovate a cardboard box (although if they did, they'd prioritise making it so thin it couldn't hold anything, include no lid and charge twice as much for it!)

Seems all Apple are good for these days is bringing out duff, boring products with reduced features ... no doubt as they're too busy resting on their laurels, in court trying to sue others instead of actually designing and bringing out great products

So according to you, in order to release an innovative phone it needs to have the following:

A larger screen
A better camera
A new charging method
Improvements in the operating system
Next generation payment options
A better processor
A thinner case

You do realize that the iPhone 5 contained every single one of these improvements, right? Sure, the charging method is a bit of a stretch, but I'm just having a hard time understanding why everyone thinks Samsung is so damn innovative when they improve their phones in the exact same ways that Apple does. The methods that they deploy to improve their phones might be different (NFC vs. Passbook), but let's not pretend Samsung is reinventing the wheel every time they release a new phone.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Ya know, just today I was thinking, if Apple updated the rear camera on the iphone soon, then I'll upgrade to the iphone 5s instead of the samsung galaxy 2 in a few weeks. Now that's innovation.

And Apple wonders why their stock is in free-fall.

People that actually know about stocks know to look at the bigger picture: Yahoo! Finance graph of Apple's stock price over the past 24 months

If you bought at the peak a few months ago (September 2012), then yeah - the short-term news is grim. But buying then would've been foolish, so hopefully you didn't do that. However if you bought two or more years ago...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Remember how people were "disappointed" how the 4S was not much "different" than the 4? Apple made the iPhone 5 to target those with the iPhone 4 on the 2-year carrier contract. The 5S would be targeted towards the 4S users. Apple understand this 2 year carrier-contract cycle, and make their updates appropriately, which is why despite how many people are complaining about the lackluster 4S over the 4, of the 5 over the 4S, Apple is still selling them by the boatload.

To me, all I'm waiting for is a retina iPad mini. That's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.