Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
So I remember posting a thread on what the 2012 iPod line would be. Basically, we all pretty much got it wrong :p (here)

So what is to become of the iPod line in the future? Will they be kept on without updates, phased out entirely or continually updated?

Personally, I can see how the iPod touch can evolve, but the shuffle/nano less so. The shuffle is about as small as it can go, plus what else can you add to it?

I know the nano has historically been Apple's design 'playground', so I wouldn't bet against another complete redesign this/next year.

Thoughts?

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
The shuffle gets even smaller - so small it's just an earbud. Not like a bluetooth earpiece, but virtually invisible like in spy films.

The touch gets 3G; the networks disallow VOIP.

The nano? I haven't a clue. I wouldn't have predicted any of the previous changes.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I don't think we'll see a touch with 3G. It'll add thickness, cost, and reduce battery life. The iPad is easy to maintain a 3G model without it being drastically different than the Wi-Fi model thanks to it's 7"-10" screen giving it much more 'room' to add a 3G radio.

I dunno, these threads always end up with tons of wild off-the-wall major overhauls. I just see another incremental upgrade. The touch will coincide with the 5S, I don't see much changing with the nano. Maybe Apple will surprise us and update the Classic to include the latest 250GB 1.8" drives. Maybe it'll even have a lightning connector! However, if there is ever a time to really doom and gloom the classic, it's the fact that it still contains a discontinued interface (30 pin), so if it doesn't change this year, (if it survives this year) I'm predicting this year to be the end of it.

Maybe a 128GB iPod touch? That right there could really put a nail in the iPod Classics coffin. Cost would be high, but the way Apple has been thinking as of late, they may equate a 128GB iPod touch as a worthy replacement for a 160GB Classic, despite the classic being much cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.