Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
How much larger?

Samsung could answer that question a lot better than I. For good or bad, there are many people who are not looking for 4" premium devices. There are many who are, but to millions a 4" screen is a deal breaker (not me personally).

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Boring OS = yawn. Look at Ubuntu, or even the new BB OS. They are so much more advanced...

iOS is too plain and boring.. heck my MOM uses it now.

No offense but are you, like, 12? Is your mom paying for your phone and plan also?

How about that? Impossible for that not to sound offensive. :D

Seriously though, don't you love your mother? Why shouldn't she have the best phone experience. If you can convince her to go to Ubuntu or BB based on their inherent superiority, good for you. However, I suspect you will get a reality check on ease of use, apps she owns, and the general putzing around required when you change a tech ecosystem. If you try to get her to switch I would like to hear how it goes - especially if she agrees with you and switches.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Actually, the 'S' cycle phones are probably the ones to wait for after the problems are ironed out of phone that precedes it.

For example, the 4S is way better than the 4, albeit the same form factor.

[joke mode on] iPhone 5 is perfect (as iPhone 4 was at its time), so there are no problems to iron out. [joke mode off] Even 4" screen is perfect (so was 3,5" until 4") until 4,5 or 4,7 will be the perfect size for a phone screen.

You seem to forget you're posting on MacRumors :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Samsung could answer that question a lot better than I. For good or bad, there are many people who are not looking for 4" premium devices. There are many who are, but to millions a 4" screen is a deal breaker (not me personally).

So people want Apple to copy Samsung. And that's innovation?

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Intel Inside

They got a sweet deal from intel, so they are producing the processor in this version. Big performance boosts are coming.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
No offense but are you, like, 12? Is your mom paying for your phone and plan also?

How about that? Impossible for that not to sound offensive. :D

Seriously though, don't you love your mother? Why shouldn't she have the best phone experience. If you can convince her to go to Ubuntu or BB based on their inherent superiority, good for you. However, I suspect you will get a reality check on ease of use, apps she owns, and the general putzing around required when you change a tech ecosystem. If you try to get her to switch I would like to hear how it goes - especially if she agrees with you and switches.

I agree, I bought my mom and step dad the iphone 4 and 4S and they both love the phone, My Mom's sister stayed with her Galaxy only because she dint want to relearn the operating system.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Its not necessarily samsung that is so innovative its google and android that are innovative. At this moment ICS and JB are miles ahead of ios6. Btw I find a big screen to be pretty innovative and a small screen a sign of playing it safe and conservative. And I also believe that smartphone are now at the same stage as desktop and laptops are. Improvements are incremental and not revolutionary.

As it is now, Timmy really needs to do something bold and completely start from scratch with ios7.

mig0

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2012
I was hoping for a retina ipad mini in March so I'm a little disappointed I'd have to wait until October, but (shrug).

I'm more up in the air with what to do with the 5/5s. I'm tempted to buy an unlocked 5 and use that as a means to decide whether I'm dropping AT&T or not. Decisions decisions...

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
So people want Apple to copy Samsung. And that's innovation?

I don't give a poop about innovation. Samsung is going through the roof, and everything they've done has been done already by someone else. Samsung does't innovate, they just sell products people want. They don't tell people what they should want, they ask what people want and then they go out and make it.

I love my iPhone 5 and I'm fine with iOS 6, but we're becoming the minority. One size does not fit all.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
No new products until April or May? And sinking stocks?

Apple is going to hit the rocks in 2013 if that's how it's going. Imagine almost nothing coming out until Sept-Oct with a sudden burst of iPhones/Pods/Pads/MacPros/iMacs/MacBooks... seems far fetched.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I would love something really new.

I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad 3. I hated the form factor of the iPhone 4 (the "glass brick"), so I passed on the retina display (and my iPad has it anyway). Siri is a pointless gimmick that doesn't even work in my country. The increased screen of the iPhone 5 is also a gimmick - it doesn't help when reading or typing on landscape mode.

The incremental upgrades are really not worth it for me. Sure, the iPhone gets very slightly thinner, very slightly faster, and the camera gets very slightly better - those things don't really matter. I would like something that allowed me to do something new on my phone. I still haven't found a good reason to upgrade from my 3GS (the retina display would have been the only decent reason), doubt the iPhone 5S is going to give me any.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Agreed. 1080p is strictly unnecessary in phones.
Not that I disagree - but the fact it's in place -
would this not also make it possible to display 1080 to HDTV's through the dock like I use on the Yamaha theater system.
Whoops - now an adaptor to old style dock plug.

Don't think I can wait almost a year for the retina mini.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Its not necessarily samsung that is so innovative its google and android that are innovative. At this moment ICS and JB are miles ahead of ios6. Btw I find a big screen to be pretty innovative and a small screen a sign of playing it safe and conservative. And I also believe that smartphone are now at the same stage as desktop and laptops are. Improvements are incremental and not revolutionary.

As it is now, Timmy really needs to do something bold and completely start from scratch with ios7.

What specifically is Android doing right now that is "miles ahead of ios6?" I'm not being facetious, I am honestly trying to understand what people are talking about when they make claims such as this one.

jake0112

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Does anybody think that they will offer the first gen iPad mini along with the second except $100 cheaper? This is one way to satisfy all those nay sayers complaining that the iPad mini should be cheaper. It would also be a serious threat to the nexus 7 and 7" samsung tab which are both offered around that price point.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
What specifically is Android doing right now that is "miles ahead of ios6?" I'm not being facetious, I am honestly trying to understand what people are talking about when they make claims such as this one.

I think Android has plenty of cool features, but its also buggy as hell and chews through battery.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
So after apple/Tim Cook really f*@#$ this one up, let's see what else he follows up the **** w/.. Those of you who is gonna say oh, this and that for earnings.. just remember, apple was still running on good grace from previous stuff.. iphone 4s.. and iphone 5 is .. just BLEH.. so if they come out w/ another freaking dud like iphone 5s.. wow.. prepare for apple stock to PLUNGE beyond your imagination

----------

SERIOULY... does apple really need team of iphone maker? For past 3 years, they have been sitting there doing NADA.. seriously.. can you fire them? oki. so if you come out w/ iphone 5s.. can you fire them? seriously?

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Actually, the 'S' cycle phones are probably the ones to wait for after the problems are ironed out of phone that precedes it.

For example, the 4S is way better than the 4, albeit the same form factor.

Exactly. Because of when I bought my first iPhone I'm on the S upgrade plan and feel like I have it better that way.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Nice to see that the 2nd gen iPad mini is likely going to be an October release. I'd like Apple to make more of an effort in allowing iPad mini owners at least a good year before releasing another generation. Seeing as a Retina display and possibly CPU bump is the most it'll get, I think it can probably wait a while.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I don't give a poop about innovation. Samsung is going through the roof, and everything they've done has been done already by someone else. Samsung does't innovate, they just sell products people want. They don't tell people what they should want, they ask what people want and then they go out and make it.

I love my iPhone 5 and I'm fine with iOS 6, but we're becoming the minority. One size does not fit all.

Completely agree w/ this. Whoever thinks that one size fits all and other size is stupid, just look at all the POTENTIAL profits that apple DID miss by not offering multiple sizes and therefore drove down stock price to nil.. Do you have any idea how big of a loss apple took?

IF iphone 5s comes out, watch out... WATCH out.. apple is gonna hit the bottom.

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Well said and so true.

I'm done upgrading iphone until a substantial upgrade happens. It is amazing how many people do spend big dollars to simply upgrade small features. I guess that's what apple are counting on.

But I think that model isn't going to work forever. It's clear that people are shifting away to other brand phones already.

Don't know about other phones but perhaps? Anyways I agree the buying the s version of the phone is not gonna work forever I bought every s until this upcoming one I'm not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.