Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
They got the characters down though.

Yeah they did for the most part. The only one that was off (and by a long shot) was Ballmer. They played him as a very different person, completely ignoring his 'cave man' agressive style in meetings and his "I'm in charge" attitude.

Oh an d his sheer lack of common sense.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Yeah they did for the most part. The only one that was off (and by a long shot) was Ballmer. They played him as a very different person, completely ignoring his 'cave man' agressive style in meetings and his "I'm in charge" attitude.

Oh an d his sheer lack of common sense.

Ballmer?

Crazy?

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Awful.
But when you consider whats successful on prime time TV and in the movie theaters, you have to realize they are playing to a majority of morons.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ballmer?

Crazy?

YouTube: video

:D

I really dont know why but whenever I look at him, all I can think of is a Goomba from the Mario movie!

super-mario-bros-movie-goomba.jpg

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
"How does somebody know what they want if they've never even seen it?"

I'm guessing it works roughly along the same lines as me knowing I don't want this movie despite never seeing it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
We'll see how this turns out but Noah Wyle was pretty awesome in "Pirates..."

Most importantly, in "Pirates..." Jobs was a complete *******. Kind of critical in any portrayal.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Funny thing, I was about to watch Pirates of Silicone Valley again now and just now saw this was posted. I love that movie, for some reason it always seems to "inspire" me when I need some quick inspiration.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Since this is more of a documentary I would pay more attention to the message rather than the acting skills, especially in this very small clip.

how exactly is a movie with actors and stages and studios and a script and producers anything like a documentary?

woz already came out and said this is all wrong. and even if it is supposed to be more informational (if that's what you intended to mean by calling it more of a documentary), acting is still important to get any message across in film. notice in docs the people are real, so the message can sing. bad acting just gets in the way of any message the filmmakers are trying to deliver.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
how exactly is a movie with actors and stages and studios and a script and producers anything like a documentary?

woz already came out and said this is all wrong. and even if it is supposed to be more informational (if that's what you intended to mean by calling it more of a documentary), acting is still important to get any message across in film. notice in docs the people are real, so the message can sing. bad acting just gets in the way of any message the filmmakers are trying to deliver.

Please read all the thread posts before posting. I've already clarified my use of the word documentary.

rwiily

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
Jobs

I am going to the premier of JOBS at Sundance tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited about it. I don't expect Ashton Kutcher's portrayal of Jobs to be at the level of Noah Wiley's, but it should still be fun and interesting.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Feels like a totally fake scene, especially if you have even a BASIC knowledge of computer history. The basis for the Apple I was not, I repeat NOT thought up during the Homebrew Club era. Period. It wasn't until Jobs got to take a peak at what Xerox was doing at PARC did the idea of copying the Xerox Star system and mouse (thus the GUI) enter his mind.

----------

We'll see how this turns out but Noah Wyle was pretty awesome in "Pirates..."

And the prophetic words "We're better than you are. We have better stuff". So true.

Most importantly, in "Pirates..." Jobs was a complete *******. Kind of critical in any portrayal.

Steve Jobs CLEARLY approved of Noah Wyle's portrayal:

http://youtu.be/TIClAanU7Os

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Feels like a totally fake scene, especially if you have even a BASIC knowledge of computer history. The basis for the Apple I was not, I repeat NOT thought up during the Homebrew Club era. Period. It wasn't until Jobs got to take a peak at what Xerox was doing at PARC did the idea of copying the Xerox Star system and mouse (thus the GUI) enter his mind.

LOL- Someone with a B.A.S.I.C knowledge of computer history should know difference between Apple I and Macintosh (early 1984).

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

----------

Didn't the Lisa project include crude GUI elements prior to Xerox PARC?

It's true that Apple went full in with GUI after XEROX PARC, including more GUI elements with Lisa, then Mac, but I do recall reading that the Lisa had GUI elements during the very early stages as well. No mouse though.

Certainly not during the homebrew era.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
LOL- Someone with a B.A.S.I.C knowledge of computer history should know difference between Apple I and Macintosh (early 1984).

Are you reading impaired? The clip is about the Apple I. When did I mention the Macintosh?

----------

Didn't the Lisa project include crude GUI elements prior to Xerox PARC?

It's true that Apple went full in with GUI after XEROX PARC, including more GUI elements with Lisa, then Mac, but I do recall reading that the Lisa had GUI elements during the very early stages as well. No mouse though.

Certainly not during the homebrew era.

That's my point.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Please read all the thread posts before posting. I've already clarified my use of the word documentary.

It's not my job to read every single post before I add my own.

When someone calls this movie a documentary, I have a right to call that absurd.

That said, I did go back and find your post clarifying your misjudged usage of documentary, and I still stand by everything I wrote in response to you. This movie is about the message, bad acting gets in the way of that message. Ashton Kutcher will sell tickets, sure. It's a business after all and the producers want to make money. But people here are more concerned with Jobs' legacy, the message, etc etc etc, and it seems like none of those things are being triumphed here.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It's not my job to read every single post before I add my own.

When someone calls this movie a documentary, I have a right to call that absurd.

That said, I did go back and find your post clarifying your misjudged usage of documentary, and I still stand by everything I wrote in response to you. This movie is about the message, bad acting gets in the way of that message. Ashton Kutcher will sell tickets, sure. It's a business after all and the producers want to make money. But people here are more concerned with Jobs' legacy, the message, etc etc etc, and it seems like none of those things are being triumphed here.

This is my final post towards you and this thread anyway because what you wrote is unnecessary.

It is very much "your job" to read through the thread thoroughly if you're going to take the time correcting people so you don't end up looking foolish. And since you felt the need to call my post absurd, check out the awesome grammar in your above post. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.