Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenitox

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
The next iphone should look something like the new imac. Rounded back for better grip, and super thin edges. That would be awesome.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I think the 5's design is much better then the 4 design. Much superior and feels even more premium in my hand

----------

i was in an att store yesterday. i've never owned an iphone. i handled and compared the two on display, and instinctively gravitated to favoring the 4s model. it felt much better in my hand, the smooth glass back felt nice, i liked the silver trim, and its dimension seemed natural. the 5 felt too tall/long, too light, and don't like the painted aluminum back (looks like it will scratch very easily in not immediately protected. from what i've read the internals may be superior, but i'm not convinced that the externals are an improvement.

economically, att has the 4s refurb for $50, which doesn't hurt either. the 5 is perhaps more technologically forward, but the 4s seems to be a classier model (imho).

Idk bro i tried scratching the back on my iphone 5 with a key because i Seen someone do it online and not one scratch from the key so the coating is tougher then you think. But the black chamfered edges that black polish that wraps around the i5 is defitnetly susceptible to scratches if your not careful and take somewhat good care of your phone you should be fine. The 4 inch screen on the i5 is so much more superior then the 3.5 its not even funny

----------

I think the 4's design is better looking but uncomfortable to hold (without a case). I like that apple doesn't use the ordinary cheap plastic parts but aluminum is way to weak. I don't know if I want a phone that will look likes its been attacked by a wild animal before my next upgrade is due. Not much other options I guess.

The i5 build quality is much better then most phones out today, its much superior to the dual glass design on the 4/4S. And if your careful with your phone it wont look like it got clawed by a animal. My i5 is in fantastic condition right now
And the coating is still on perfectly fine with no scratches

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Only so much you can do with a cellphone design. However there's still room for change . Instead of plastic or aluminum or glass perhaps the case being made out of carbonite or something else. Seems glass was pretty popular in the 4 and I wouldn't mind seeing glass in the iphone6

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
The flattened design and Rounded Edges(TM) is certainly the mother of iPhone design until today.

iPhone 4S was a perfect copy with little bit of improvements here and there.
iPhone 5 is a direct derivative of iPhone 4.

So .. yes. iPhone 4 is still the best.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I 100% agree with the OP. I hate the iPhone 5. Feels cheap and I hate the long screen. I'll be saving my upgrade for the Galaxy S IV. The 4S had an awesome form factor and design. That's why I still use it haha.

Those who say otherwise are just trying to justify their iPhone 5 purchase.

Lol. This guy is butthurt by the radical step forward in design by the iPhone 5.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
In terms of design - not performance. Does anyone else feel like the iPhone 4S will be the peak of Apple, Inc.'s phones aesthetically speaking? I have no doubt that Apple will continue to release better performing products - but as far as design goes, I think iPhone 4S is the peak.

I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone 5's design. I feel that it's actually a little bit too thin (never thought I'd be complaining about that) and I think it's awkwardly tall. I also dislike the the back of the iPhone 5 in terms of it's color.

Even if Apple released a transparent glass phone, I still would prefer the iPhone 4's design to it. The only thing that would prompt me to upgrade my phone at this point would be a SIGNIFICANT technological upgrade (something more than a tiny bit faster, or a tiny bit more resolute). Maybe something like the discovery of a technology that could project digital projections from your phone or something :)

What do you guys think? Has Apple reached it's peak in terms of design when it comes to phones with the 4S? Or do you prefer the new design of the 5, and think that Apple's future products will trump what we're familiar with today?

The size of the iPhone 4S is rather perfect in my opinion. If they could have made it a little thinner, and eliminated some of the bezel, or make the screen edge to edge somehow in order to increase the screen size but still keep the phone size, I would have taken that any day over the current iPhone 5 - which I agree feels a bit too tall.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
iphone 5 has a great design (just like i4) but its a disaster of a phone when it comes to everyday "wear and tear".

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

Idk bro i tried scratching the back on my iphone 5 with a key because i Seen someone do it online and not one scratch from the key so the coating is tougher then you think. .....
You're kidding right? You regularly take a set of keys to your car paint to check it's toughness too?

I think it's a fair bet that if you take a set of keys to any phone on the market, it's going to scratch.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
To me the 3G felt cheap with the plastick back. I think the first one was the nicest in the hand. I like the design of the 4, but I'm on my 3rd now as I already broke 2 after dropping them. Not a great design in that respect. The 2 & 3 I dropped countless times and I still have them around for my kids. I gave the 5 to my wife, it feels nice and light and she love the white colour.
To sum it up, the first one had the best design IMHO

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I still think the original iPhone was unmatched for design. Nothing came close to it at that time.

Now, Apple design is still good, but not class leading. HTC is very good at it also. ( Even though their phones are terrible )

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
No matter what people will buy the iPhone however they are starting to lose people's interest since their OS is old. In my office alone, there are 10 people I work with who left the iPhone 4 and 4S to go to Samsung SGIII and a lot more folks are moving as soon as their contract is up.

Of all the nice Android phones out there, the SGIII? My eyes hurt only by looking at that screen. It's probably the worst screen ever produced: you can see pixels (that pentile technology sure is awful), and the white calibration is all over the place. Everything has a blue cast. Consistently, on all of them (we also have many people with SGIII's at the office).

To answer the OP's question: I think the best iPhone design so far can be found on the iPhone 5. The 4 was brilliant, no doubt, but it got surpassed by the 5 in my opinion.

fasterthanfiber

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
No, the peak has yet to come (probably the iPhone 6), after they've reduce the wasted space above and below the screen on the iPhone 5 (made possible by smaller components in the future), which will allow them to enlarge the screen further and make it wider like the 3G/3GS. The 4/4S already looks squanty, not to mention having the same wasted space found on the 5.

I'd have to say the build quality of the 4/4S is superior to the 5 though.

I would say you summarize Apple's ideal client with the "they will get it next time". I do think the 4s is the better design of the two, the iPhone 4s is a much better version of the 4 in regards to camera, mics and sound quality. The iPhone 5 has not done anything to make me want to upgrade, the performance is the same and sometimes slightly faster, the larger screen makes movies look silly with most apps being letterboxed.

I think the iPhone 5s should of been this years iPhone 5 as it will give them chance to iron out all the bugs and issues with the 5 - hopefully quality control.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
You're kidding right? You regularly take a set of keys to your car paint to check it's toughness too?

I think it's a fair bet that if you take a set of keys to any phone on the market, it's going to scratch.

No i dont regularly do it...i seen it on a video online and the guy was scratching the i5 back hard and nothing happened to my phone when i tried it. The coating is tougher then the brass, or whatever your key is madeout of.

Although i will say the chamfered edges are defitnetly more prone to chips and scratches

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Of all the nice Android phones out there, the SGIII? My eyes hurt only by looking at that screen. It's probably the worst screen ever produced: you can see pixels (that pentile technology sure is awful), and the white calibration is all over the place. Everything has a blue cast. Consistently, on all of them (we also have many people with SGIII's at the office).

To answer the OP's question: I think the best iPhone design so far can be found on the iPhone 5. The 4 was brilliant, no doubt, but it got surpassed by the 5 in my opinion.

By definition of other Android phones, it depends on what carrier you are on, AT&T doesn't have much, Sprint and VZ seem to have the better ones, but IMO I like the screen on the iPhone so it will be hard to leave the Retina settings :) but the white wash and blue hue is really noticeable on the SGIII and Note II especially next to an iPhone 5

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Back should be made of unobtainium.

But then how would the flux capacitor get reception??? COME ON MAN!!!

I'm still waiting for "innovation". What is "innovation"? I have no idea, I just like to say things like "Apple is lacking "innovation"" and "iOS is "stale" or "boring"" even though my ideas are all ridiculous and way too expensive to ever implement...

Apple made the 5 a fabulous phone. Can it be improved? Yup. Was the 4S perfect? Far from it... Remember all the threads about the horrible battery life? The glass breaking too easy (a 2 foot drop onto a pillow)? The fact that it was just a 4 with a "spec bump" (when it was obviously a near complete internal overhaul)?

People complain just for the sake of complaining. They are NEVER going to be happy. Apple doesn't cater to or worry about the .1% of people who don't think the iPhone 5 is "innovative" enough. It's plenty innovative. People waited WEEKS to buy one, nearly 3 months after it's release...

The 5 has been the pinnacle. Soon to be passed by whatever comes next. It's just how it works. The 4S was great, but the 5 obliterates it in nearly EVERY category both objectively (and by sales numbers alone, subjectively).

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If we're talking solely about looks, then I think the 4/4S is the best looking iPhone design to date. I just really like the look of that all glass back. But in terms of practicality the 5 is better because it isn't as fragile. Though I don't know if I'd say it's the peak....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.