Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
Hopefully this will drive more innovation from Apple instead of minor refreshes in software and hardware. Seriously, it took a year for them to release iOS 6 and all we got was Crapple maps, passbook, and do not disturb, which are all useless.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Reason i believe apple shares are going to $150 a share!

-there smartphone advantage is dead..carriers won't have to pay apple a premium any longer
-android android android
-tablets from Asia will force apple to make smaller cheaper tablets...way less profit margins
-future tv's will be expensive to produce and non mass selling device
-when you buy a stock your really buying the CEO,and sadly the best one ever is gone!

so where do i get $150...i simply look at share price between highs and lows of 2007 to 2009...this was just before apples hyper smartphone breakout...so there you have it,perhaps the best short of the s@p over the next year or so.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Apple sells 3 million less iPhones than what some schmuck in a corner office in New York predicted; so Apple is in the dog house? LOL! What a joke.
So as Apple's stock was tanking, they had the best quarter in history.
So there is a disconnect.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Apple sells 3 million less iPhones than what some schmuck in a corner office in New York predicted; so Apple is in the dog house? LOL! What a joke.
So as Apple's stock was tanking, they had the best quarter in history.
So there is a disconnect.

This had been happening for many quarters. Almost as if insiders invested last year ran the price up and as the market approaches saturation the start selling their shares making huge profits.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Reason i believe apple shares are going to $150 a share!

-there smartphone advantage is dead..carriers won't have to pay apple a premium any longer
-android android android
-tablets from Asia will force apple to make smaller cheaper tablets...way less profit margins
-future tv's will be expensive to produce and non mass selling device
-when you buy a stock your really buying the CEO,and sadly the best one ever is gone!

so where do i get $150...i simply look at share price between highs and lows of 2007 to 2009...this was just before apples hyper smartphone breakout...so there you have it,perhaps the best short of the s@p over the next year or so.

LOL,i have no idea where apple's stock is going but 150 is literally cheaper than all of Apple's assets. Apple would go private before this happens.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I only can imagine what their stock will do when their 2013 holiday quarter is THE most profitable quarter in the history of business. This is stock manipulation at its finest.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Honestly these huge drops every day are just making Wall Street look stupid right now. I mean what really constitutes all this panic selling?
It is normal business on Wall Street - investors simply re-adjust AAPL stock from "growth" category to "value" one.

It is sad so many folks misses what was coming for many months, with plenty of early sell @ decent price opportunities along the way.

Some folks mentioned that Google is better because of it has better revenue sources - right...

It is all about growth of only one thing - THE PROFIT.

Google or any other rapidly growing company will get there sooner or later too and and its stock will get the same treatment as AAPL is getting now.

Something never change...

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
No argument there.

Use the damn cash to BUY things that allow them to leapfrog their competitors who DO NOT have access to as much cash.

Start by buying out (poaching) Google's top engineers. They can do it. Legally. ;)

Why would Google engineers want to work at Apple when they do cool stuff like augmented reality and experimental search algorithms? What Apple should do is set up a pure research lab, Apple Research and give it unlimited funds to just innovate.

----------

I only can imagine what their stock will do when their 2013 holiday quarter is THE most profitable quarter in the history of business. This is stock manipulation at its finest.

Not by margin it wasn't. In fact Microsoft's EBITA was 30% of Revenue compared to 24% for Apple.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
That could turn out to be a very good move. For those willing to take the risk, that is.

Taking risk - there is not much risk right now, the problem is - there are way better growth opportunities elsewhere. It is really hard to find a sucker who would pay huge premium for stock posting sequential profit declines going forward. When this happens - the sucker is the one owning the stock.

As some prominent trader said: If you can not find a sucker on other side of the trade, the sucker is you.

The biggest risk was buying APPL for over $700 - apparently there were plenty of fools around (buying @High, selling @Low) willing to take this level of risk.

Last edited:

wshyang

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
I say the sell will stop at $420. I sure hope cook has something up his sleeve I can't afford any more losses. :(

Horray, another fanboi lost his 401K and can't afford future Macs and Apple products going forwards.

Sell! Sell!

The sky is falling! :D

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
It is normal business on Wall Street - investors simply re-adjust AAPL stock from "growth" category to "value" one.

It is sad so many folks misses what was coming for many months, with plenty of early sell @ decent price opportunities along the way.

Some folks mentioned that Google is better because of it has better revenue sources - right...

It is all about growth of only one thing - THE PROFIT.

Google or any other rapidly growing company will get there sooner or later too and and its stock will get the same treatment as AAPL is getting now.

Something never change...

the thing people fail to grasp is that apple has NEVER traded as a growth company. Growth companies have 20+ P/E. Apple has been trading as a sustained growth company, in the 12-14 range, especially sans cash. This argument holds no water. People just need to realize this is investors playing the game. It doesn't matter how expensive or how cheap your stock is, it's all about stock movement. Apple can have a P/e of 3 right now and it'd still drop.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Apple's run to "thinner" just ended in "thinner" stock price/market capitalization:rolleyes:

I just think that 700 was too much (too much growth in so little time). A natural re-adjustment quickly transformed in panic-selling, for the pleasure of top dogs just waiting to buy enormous amounts of shares when it is the right time. Just mere speculation.:cool:

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Apple's run to "thinner" just ended in "thinner" stock price/market capitalization:rolleyes:

I just think that 700 was too much (too much growth in so little time). A natural re-adjustment quickly transformed in panic-selling, for the pleasure of top dogs just waiting to buy enormous amounts of shares when it is the right time. Just mere speculation.:cool:
i'm in the same camp, didn't think people would turn on apple so fast, i averaged up to $350 after buying some in the mid 500 range during this drop

just stay calm, relax, wait for a couple of months and re-evaluate your holding

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007

12% drop is panic selling? AAPL underwent systemic drop for over 4 month period by 35%. Last trimming is just small fraction of what was already lost.

It may just show distribution of greed and fear of AAPL investors. Quite a few were sleeping at the switch until few days ago. Sure their actions are foolish, but that is the way it is.

Last edited:

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Why would Google engineers want to work at Apple when they do cool stuff like augmented reality and experimental search algorithms? What Apple should do is set up a pure research lab, Apple Research and give it unlimited funds to just innovate.

----------

+1. I don't know about *unlimited* funds, per se, but this would be pretty cool to see.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
12% drop is panic selling? AAPL underwent systemic drop for over 4 month period by 35%. Last trimming is just small fraction of what was already lost.

It may just show distribution of greed and fear of AAPL investors. Quite a few were sleeping at the switch until few days ago. Sure they are the dumbest of all, but that is the way it is.

ah yes,believe me, analytics are always easiest when done in hindsight

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
ah yes,believe me, analytics are always easiest when done in hindsight

Agreed, analytics based on anything other then hindsight is called "speculation".

There is no need to speculate about past though everyone knows the facts.

I made an edit to make it less painful: "Sure their actions are foolish"

Last edited:

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
The problem is Apple doesn't make products people want anymore. The fantics here can scream all they want about how being 0.0001" thinner is must have but it's a rare time that both Wall Street and Main Street can agree it's b******t.

I've had a long chain of laptops going from my 2011 mbp back to a 1998 powerbook g3, so yes, I'm pretty loyal. There is absolutely no way I will ever own a rMBP or MBA. If Apple discontinues the cMBP, I'll keep the last model for as long as possible and it will be the last apple I ever own. There is no way I will give up 2 drive bays, a replacable battery, replacable ram, and my ethernet port (which I just used today) for a 0.25 decrease in thickness. You fanatics can say just add external boxes. Everyone with an IQ over 22 will realize it's less portable if you need to carry more extras, and I guess stock brokers have an IQ over 22.

My iPhone 4s is my 3rd iPhone, I paid full price for the upgrade, so I've been eligible for a new phone on contract since October yet there is no way I'm going to buy an iPhone 5 which still has a dinky screen by modern standards and is the only "premium" smartphone without a 720p screen. The iPhone 5 feels like a cheap fisher price toy next to a real phone like the 4s or galaxy s3. Plastic is a much better phone material than aluminum. If there's strong rumours of a decent size iPhone when the galaxy s4 comes out, I'll wait for it, if not, the s4 is my next phone.

The $200 nexus 7 has a gps, nfc, etc, etc, etc. The iPad mini has a $330 price tag and what else besides an os-load of yawns?

I gave up waiting for an iMac when mountain lion came out, and I'm so glad I did. Who besides a rabid fan would give up performance, features, upgradability and repairability to make a damn DESKTOP, that's right DESKTOP!! computer thinner? Clearly Wall Street and Main Street are paying attention even if the fanatics are in denial.

I've probably averaged spending $2-3000/year on apple since I switched to them in 1998 (not counting my Apple IIe from the early 80's), so don't even think of calling me an Apple hater, I'm a fan who's absolutely disgusted by what Timmy has done to my favourite company. I used to look forward to Apple product launches like a kid waiting for Christmas, now with the exception of the endangered cMBP, Apple no longer makes a single product I have any interest in buying. Maybe the mini, but I'd still rather have desktop parts and desktop power.

When Apple passed $600 on the way up, I posted here you'd see it at $100 before you ever see it at $1000. I was basing it on the pathetic jokes they called products and I can see I was 100% right. I also said the company would tank within 2 years if they keep their anorexia up, and I got flamed. Well look who's laughing.

So I am watching Apple's stock in freefall and laughing my a$$ off every time it dips in this hope that this is a wakeup call for the fanboys and the idiots on the board of directors who are letting Timmy destroy this amazing company.

Oh and the best part is this. I bought 6-month put options cheap and way out of the money when it was $650 on the way down. Timmy just made me more this week than I make in a year.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
The problem is Apple doesn't make products people want anymore.

Don't need to read much else, this sentence in itself is absolutely false and not grounded in fact. iPhone sales increased 20% y/y, ipad sales increased 40% y/y, nobody wants apple products anymore. tim cook should just jump off a bridge right now.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
too much growth in too little time: from 363 to 705 in 10 months. :eek:
going down even faster: 705 to 440 in 4 months :mad:

but if you think in this terms: 363 to 440 in 16 months (+21 %) it seems a well performance, (real sales, real growth, real cash under the cushion)

just forget the 700 top (like it never existed), get back in reality and leave sci-fi fables to analysts and experts

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Until Apple meets all of your expectations, and that could be a while, it is accumulating $15B a quarter in cash. You know, to front-run all their competitors on supply chain, and first mover.

Don't buy AAPL! All the rest of us want to be able to buy it cheaper due to low demand and bad news.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
iPhone sales increased 20% y/y, ipad sales increased 40% y/y, nobody wants apple products anymore. tim cook should just jump off a bridge right now.

I'm actually curious how many of those iPhones were 5's vs older models, because while I do know some people with 5's, I know some who bought 4's over christmas. And I know one person who got a 5 at launch and sent it back to go back to his 4s because the 5 is a piece of crap.

As far as the iPad, when you're talking about a brand new mini at $330 this quarter with all the pent up demand vs a 6 month old iPad 2 that was basically a skinny iPad 1 in the same quarter last year..I'm suprised it's only 40% same quarter growth on the iPad. And I even pulled the trigger on a 4 after skipping the 2 and 3.

----------

Don't buy AAPL! All the rest of us want to be able to buy it cheaper due to low demand and bad news.

So, while Apple stock is in freefall, you want it to drop even lower? And you claim to like the company? With customers as like you, it's no wonder they actually do manage to sell a few new iMacs and iPhone 5's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.