Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Did they agree to give you the samsung screen?

I never asked for a Samsung screen to be honest. Not all LG screens have the image persistence problem. If I get another LG screen I will monitor the screen and if I do get a problem I will ask them to repair it again.

I think the point here is, if you have a problem, Apple will deal with it and get it fixed. I don't think it is necessarily a problem that means that everyone should ignore the rMBP. If Apple ignored the issue and refused to fix it then that would be a problem.

Just because I have had an issue this time, would not change my decision to get a rMBP, and if given the chance again, I would still have purchased a rMBP.

You have to remember that people that people that have a problem tend to post on forums like this, the people that are fine, never say so. Forums like this tend to always give the impression that the problem is worse than it actually is.

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
I never asked for a Samsung screen to be honest. Not all Samsung screens have the image persistence problem. If I get another LG screen I will monitor the screen and if I do get a problem I will ask them to repair it again.

I think the point here is, if you have a problem, Apple will deal with it and get it fixed. I don't think it is necessarily a problem that means that everyone should ignore the rMBP. If Apple ignored the issue and refused to fix it then that would be a problem.

Just because I have had an issue this time, would not change my decision to get a rMBP, and if given the chance again, I would still have purchased a rMBP.

You have to remember that people that people that have a problem tend to post on forums like this, the people that are fine, never say so. Forums like this tend to always give the impression that the problem is worse than it actually is.

Your reply gave me some hope... Thanks, appreciate it mate.

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
If anyone else has got something to add, please do so.

I plan on going to the apple store tomorrow and try asking if my BTO rMBP can get the Samsung screen.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.

I plan on going to the apple store tomorrow and try asking if my BTO rMBP can get the Samsung screen.

the answer will be no, they dont have control over it.

my rmbp tho only 4 days old has been on ever since purchase and no IR.

like many have said, apple stands behind the problem. Would be nice if it was for more then a year

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

As JeffiJers said the retail apple stores have no control over online BTO orders, they are actually managed as independent divisions in Apple and unfortunately don't talk to each other very much.

You will just have to place the order and hope. You can always exchange the unit within 14 days if you are not happy, although if it is BTO they will not be able to swap in store. I don't know how much of a problem IR is now anyway, as Apple should have had enough time to sort out the supply chain.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Your reply gave me some hope... Thanks, appreciate it mate.

Just to complete the story, because when I made my original post as was still waiting for the rMBP to be repaired. It has been an eventful few days, as when I originally took the machine in the Genius agreed with me, that the display was faulty using a checkerboard image and stated that the screen would be replaced.

However the store than ran further tests and then claimed that it was 'within specification'. I spoke to the store manager, who was absolutely fantastic and to cut a long story short, offered me a complete replacement. So I now have a brand spanking new rMBP with a Samsung display, that has absolutely no image retention artefacts. Just goes to show what great service Apple gives.

However I should point out it is not normally policy for Apple to completely replace the machine (unless you have only had it a few weeks), I was a special case because the original promise of replacement did not happen as it should, but was quickly rectified when I spoke to the manager. They now have a very happy customer :)

Out of interest did you get your rMBP in the end?

Last edited:

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I was about to buy a new 15" rmbp but decided against it. If you do some research (not just on macrumors lol) you'll find more than enough people to convince you to just wait until a new version or a fix.

Now if I could go to an Apple store. Say, hey can you take it out of the box and make sure it's good to go. I would purchase one.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
I was about to buy a new 15" rmbp but decided against it. If you do some research (not just on macrumors lol) you'll find more than enough people to convince you to just wait until a new version or a fix.

Now if I could go to an Apple store. Say, hey can you take it out of the box and make sure it's good to go. I would purchase one.

Believe it or not, that is exactly what i did... but not in an apple store but an official reseller. I opened the box, plugged the machine, ran a few commands to check what display it had (samsung ) and the quality of it, check for all sort of stuff and then i bought it ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Well, [most] people without issues with their computers are not going to post on a forum saying, "I just bought a Mac, it has no problems."

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

Well Apple have a 14 day return policy, they no longer have a restocking fee, so if you are unhappy you could return it.

Pheomixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Nara, Japan
Just to complete the story, because when I made my original post as was still waiting for the rMBP to be repaired. It has been an eventful few days, as when I originally took the machine in the Genius agreed with me, that the display was faulty using a checkerboard image and stated that the screen would be replaced.

However the store than ran further tests and then claimed that it was 'within specification'. I spoke to the store manager, who was absolutely fantastic and to cut a long story short, offered me a complete replacement. So I now have a brand spanking new rMBP with a Samsung display, that has absolutely no image retention artefacts. Just goes to show what great service Apple gives.

However I should point out it is not normally policy for Apple to completely replace the machine (unless you have only had it a few weeks), I was a special case because the original promise of replacement did not happen as it should, but was quickly rectified when I spoke to the manager. They now have a very happy customer :)

Out of interest did you get your rMBP in the end?

So sorry for the late reaply. I've been really busy with college lately.

Actually I opted for the high end cMBP with high res anti-glare screen. I think that machine is going to be the best option for me. I made the purchase last saturday and it is apparently in China, getting ready to be shipped. Can't wait! :)

Really want to thank all of you who gave me advices regarding this...

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Just wanted to chime in again on the IR discussion. I know there is a thread on it, but I will contribute here.

To start off with, the rMBP is by far the best machine I could imagine for it's size, performance, and yes even price ($2599 + tax with student discount). I know there are concerns regarding the lack of an upgradable system, but realistically you must base your purchase on your own needs and personally computers these days last years, and I believe the rMBP will live a healthy life before I purchase a newer model and resell the current.

Back to the IR, I think I purchased this machine 1-2 weeks after release, loved it and still do every single day. Nothing serious about the display other than a dead pixel a few weeks in, then I noticed my Safari, iTunes and what ever had high contrast would literally remain on the screen within 45 seconds (at it's worst, had to deal with it for a month or so before I could go on break this winter). I had already spoken to a Genius prior and it was all documented, so when I went back it was dealt with very quickly and I received my computer within 3-4 days. Ran a command in terminal and a Samsung was put onto my machine.

This issue was really really bothersome as it progressed further, I couldn't use the computer without straining my eyes on the IR.

On a side note, I had an LG before. I had scratched the top of the computer really bad, but Apple replaced the top casing and display (glued display) and obviously no more dead pixel.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Just wanted to chime in again on the IR discussion. I know there is a thread on it, but I will contribute here.

To start off with, the rMBP is by far the best machine I could imagine for it's size, performance, and yes even price ($2599 + tax with student discount). I know there are concerns regarding the lack of an upgradable system, but realistically you must base your purchase on your own needs and personally computers these days last years, and I believe the rMBP will live a healthy life before I purchase a newer model and resell the current.

Back to the IR, I think I purchased this machine 1-2 weeks after release, loved it and still do every single day. Nothing serious about the display other than a dead pixel a few weeks in, then I noticed my Safari, iTunes and what ever had high contrast would literally remain on the screen within 45 seconds (at it's worst, had to deal with it for a month or so before I could go on break this winter). I had already spoken to a Genius prior and it was all documented, so when I went back it was dealt with very quickly and I received my computer within 3-4 days. Ran a command in terminal and a Samsung was put onto my machine.

This issue was really really bothersome as it progressed further, I couldn't use the computer without straining my eyes on the IR.

On a side note, I had an LG before. I had scratched the top of the computer really bad, but Apple replaced the top casing and display (glued display) and obviously no more dead pixel.

So, in your opinion, would you recommend people to buy this laptop given the known and seemingly unsolved issue with LG IR? It seems like you would have to play it by chance or risk taking your machine back multiple times.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
So, in your opinion, would you recommend people to buy this laptop given the known and seemingly unsolved issue with LG IR? It seems like you would have to play it by chance or risk taking your machine back multiple times.

Bollocks. You have warranty for a year from purchase date and any reputable store will do the repair. Especially at this point. If a Genius tells you some "acceptable margin" that exists and it's within specification, well you have a few choices, speak to management and politely explain how that beautiful new computer is complete garbage and unusable (once you see with your own eyes the depth of the problem at it's worst, you'll fully understand.). If that's too much, try another store. If you really want to be paranoid, run

Code:
oreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

and if your new machine displays an LG screen, just use your 14 days return and hope you get a Samsung. Again, nothing is guaranteed so it will always be a gamble to an extent. But know Apple will help you.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Bollocks. You have warranty for a year from purchase date and any reputable store will do the repair. Especially at this point. If a Genius tells you some "acceptable margin" that exists and it's within specification, well you have a few choices, speak to management and politely explain how that beautiful new computer is complete garbage and unusable (once you see with your own eyes the depth of the problem at it's worst, you'll fully understand.). If that's too much, try another store. If you really want to be paranoid, run

Code:
oreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

and if your new machine displays an LG screen, just use your 14 days return and hope you get a Samsung. Again, nothing is guaranteed so it will always be a gamble to an extent. But know Apple will help you.

Either you thought I was being offensive, or you responded to somebody else using my post. lol.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
STiNG Operation said:
Either you thought I was being offensive, or you responded to somebody else using my post. lol.

Nope.

Bollocks to the "unsolved issue" part. That horse gets beaten around so much around here. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned, if it occurs, it will be repaired. It's not something you should be overly worried about to such an extent, just be aware that it is possible and so you know how to properly handle the problem if it does occur. That's all.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Right, people forget these issues are covered by warranty. Let's play devil's advocate though.

Do we know what Apple's policy of what acceptable IR is?

Is 3 seconds of IR after a static image acceptable monitor performance in Apple policy? Or is it 10 seconds, 1 second, etc.?

What's worse is that it's an entirely subjective matter for the end user. I may think 1 second is OK, and 3 unacceptable but the next user may not. More importantly, Apple may think 10 seconds of IR is OK.

Apple released something on IR being normal, but the article is so vague it's subject to interpretation depending on which Genius is looking at it, how nice your Apple Store manager is, etc. Creating a scene on the phone or at the Apple Store will give you varying results. Apple is no different in that regard in terms of customer service.

In the end I can see how this whole issue can make a potential buyer hesitate.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Right, people forget these issues are covered by warranty. Let's play devil's advocate though.

Do we know what Apple's policy of what acceptable IR is?

Is 3 seconds of IR after a static image acceptable monitor performance in Apple policy? Or is 10 seconds, 1 second, etc.?

What's worse is that it's an entirely subjective matter for the end user. I may think 1 second is OK, and 3 unacceptable but the next user may not. More importantly, Apple may think 10 seconds of IR is OK.

Apple released something on IR being normal, but the article is so vague it's subject to interpretation depending on which Genius is looking at it, how nice your Apple Store manager is, etc. Creating a scene on the phone or at the Apple Store will give you varying results. Apple is no different in that regard in terms of customer service.

In the end I can see how this whole issue can make a potential buyer hesitate.

Exactly. Really that's all that needs to be said.

It's not about beating this into the ground, it's the fact you don't know what you're going to get on the product end and customer service end.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Lol, you're taking this too far. I asked a simple question. ;)

And I'm only being realistic. The fact that the thread is titled "risky" is taking it quite far. Is a cMBP risky because the HDD and ODD can both be damaged in a fall? DVD's can be ruined, your data can be lost.

I just think "risks" and worries can be applied to everything else, including the rMBP's counterparts.

At one point, you need to make your trade offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.