Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bestbuysale.jpg
Best Buy is having a Winter Doorbuster Days sale on Friday, January 25 and Saturday, January 26, providing discounts on several products. Most notably, the retailer is offering $200 off on select MacBook Airs.

Both the 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models are discounted, giving the entry level 11-inch Air with 4GB of RAM and a 64GB SSD a price tag of $799.99. The base model 13-inch MacBook Air, sporting 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD is $999.99.

Additional configurations with more storage space are also available, and the 13-inch MacBook Air with a 256GB SSD is $1299.99, while the 11-inch 128GB model is $899.99.

The sale is available both online and in stores, and while the 11-inch $799.99 variant is sold out online, it is possible that it is still available at retail locations.

Best Buy is also offering 30% off of all OtterBox cases and a free $20 gift card with the purchase of a 16GB iPod nano.

Article Link: Best Buy Offers $200 off MacBook Airs For 2 Days

criticalb

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
Didn't Apple retail start price matching big box retailers recently? Was that just for the holidays or can I get this deal at the Apple store too?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I would do this if I could get one with 8 gb ram. :-(

Agreed. I already have a 2011 with only 4GB of RAM. I would love to get a 2012 13" w/ 8GB of RAM.

And no. Bhphotovideo is only a few bucks off for their 8GB configurations. Even with saving 6% in sales tax it wouldn't = $200....

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I literally bought MacBook Air 11 inch yesterday from Best Buy. Anyone know if they will price match because of this sale and give me back $100?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting. Tim Cook blamed the low Mac sales mostly on the iMac shortage, but I wonder if the general PC slowdown has started to affect MacBook Air sales, as well. It sounds like Best Buy got stuck with a lot of excess stock. As an authorized Apple reseller, they need Apple's consent to advertise a sale like this, so Apple must have approved it.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I literally bought MacBook Air 11 inch yesterday from Best Buy. Anyone know if they will price match because of this sale and give me back $100?

They probably will, but the only way to know for sure is to go check. They've been pretty fair with their price matching in my experience, and that was for competitors' prices. I don't see why they wouldn't price match their own sale.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Interesting. Tim Cook blamed the low Mac sales mostly on the iMac shortage, but I wonder if the general PC slowdown has started to affect MacBook Air sales, as well. It sounds like Best Buy got stuck with a lot of excess stock. As an authorized Apple reseller, they need Apple's consent to advertise a sale like this, so Apple must have approved it.

It's actually not that "uncommon" for Best Buy. I bought my 2011 Macbook Air last October when they ran the exact (or close to) same offer. Instead of paying 1299, I only had to pay 1099 for mine and that was a week long sale if I remember correctly. Yes they probably have more stock than they expected, but they also use these sales to push their warranty plans, get you to buy a bunch of accessories, etc. etc...

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Hmm...I just got my wife an open box 13" Air (128GB SSD) for $984 (I think) minus a 10% off coupon, so about $885 or so. Looks brand new and had a full warranty, but I do see that the same store which had a 2nd open box of the same model is now pricing that 2nd one about $30 less. I'm very slightly tempted to go there and try to get an added discount, but I'm pretty confident that it will turn into a long drawn-out affair with me leaving upset. The irony of it is that I could save myself some aggravation by just buying that 2nd one they've got and then returning the 1st one for a full refund, but I already registered the first one, so I'd like to be a nice guy (and save myself a bit of trouble) and get the difference refunded and keep what I've got. At this point, I think I'm just going to not bother at all and keep what I've got and not even try to get the difference refunded. If you've read this far, thank you for wasting 3 minutes of your life that you can't get back. ;)

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Hmm...I just got my wife an open box 13" Air (128GB SSD) for $984 (I think) minus a 10% off coupon, so about $885 or so. Looks brand new and had a full warranty, but I do see that the same store which had a 2nd open box of the same model is now pricing that 2nd one about $30 less. I'm very slightly tempted to go there and try to get an added discount, but I'm pretty confident that it will turn into a long drawn-out affair with me leaving upset. The irony of it is that I could save myself some aggravation by just buying that 2nd one they've got and then returning the 1st one for a full refund, but I already registered the first one, so I'd like to be a nice guy (and save myself a bit of trouble) and get the difference refunded and keep what I've got. At this point, I think I'm just going to not bother at all and keep what I've got and not even try to get the difference refunded. If you've read this far, thank you for wasting 3 minutes of your life that you can't get back. ;)

I would go to BB and get some more $ back - thankfully I am a faster reader. Only wasted 2 minutes...opps...make that 3 minutes counting my reply.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: We have a forum for talking about political issues. This isn't it. From the rules:

Off-topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited. If you keep doing it see "Repeated problems" below. Threads and posts on controversial political, religious, and social issues are to be limited to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, and made only by those eligible for that forum.

B

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I would go to BB and get some more $ back - thankfully I am a faster reader. Only wasted 2 minutes...opps...make that 3 minutes counting my reply.
Thanks for the encouragement. I believe I have 30 days (or whatever) to return the one I got. Maybe I'll just go and pick up the 2nd Air they've got for the discounted price. If my serial number isn't printed on the receipt, I can then go back later that day or the next day and return that 2nd model (with my 1st Air's receipt) so as to not have to bother wiping the HD of the 1st Air. But since I've only had it for a few days anyway, worst case, I wipe the whole thing and keep the 2nd Air. Even better would be if I can convince a manager to give me an added discount off of this 2nd Air since it's now priced (before I apply my extra 10% off coupon) awfully close to a brand new one.

vip007

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2006
Amazon matches BB price

For those of you who do not pay tax through Amazon, it's matched BB prices.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I've had my eye on a base 11" for awhile and and now that Amazon just lowered theirs to $799, it might be time to grab one. Great price.

AmericanApplePi

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
Virginia

Yes they will ! even though its presented as a 2 day sale. you are within your return policy. So just walk into any store straight to Customer service and tell them you need to do a price match for you mac air and tell them your price matching bestbuy there is a $100 difference. hope this helps.

----------

Most likely it will say does not work on Open box items. but your right if that was the response then you could return the 1st one and buy the second one. Also was the 2nd OBX that was $30 less equal to being the Original price minus $200 to get that price?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.