Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Do you have to root to get rid of the carrier bloatware? Or can you hide it somewhere and just install a launcher?

I just went into my application manager and disabled all carrier bloatware and installed Nova Launcher. Hides everything and in that rare chance that I might need to use one of the carrier apps, you can just go back and enable it again.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What benefits do you get with the international ROM?

Michael

I haven't tried the ACE ROM but on the International ROM (JB 4.1.2), all the AT&T bloat is removed and it works exactly like the International Note 2. Best part is it retains the LTE capability.

CleanROM ACE (All Carrier Edition) is based off the International ROM, removes all of the carrier bloatware, included multi-window, supports LTE and adds a few little improvements/add-ons (i.e. allows you to adjust auto-brightness level--couldn't do that on AT&T version).

Love it so far--been running super smooth with no noticeable changes over the outstanding battery life I was getting using stock version.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
CleanROM ACE (All Carrier Edition) is based off the International ROM, removes all of the carrier bloatware, included multi-window, supports LTE and adds a few little improvements/add-ons (i.e. allows you to adjust auto-brightness level--couldn't do that on AT&T version).

Love it so far--been running super smooth with no noticeable changes over the outstanding battery life I was getting using stock version.

Excellent. Thanks.

Mike

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Picked up my Note II last night from ATT full price using it on Straight Talk for $45/Month unlimited

Rooted it out of the box, took all of five minutes. Then installed cleanROM 1.2 SE + Nova launcher, very impressed this is truly a mini computer in your hand. Not even sure I need to install a AOSP nexus ROM, I think Touchwiz with Nova launcher runs really good. I normally always go with an AOSP ROM on all my Android phones, but not sure I want to on the Note II and lose all the S-Pen features

Screenshot_2013-01-25-14-01-41_zps99d87d51.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Have you owned a iPhone before, how does this phone compare?
Picked up my Note II last night from ATT full price using it on Straight Talk for $45/Month unlimited

Rooted it out of the box, took all of five minutes. Then installed cleanROM 1.2 SE + Nova launcher, very impressed this is truly a mini computer in your hand. Not even sure I need to install a AOSP nexus ROM, I think Touchwiz with Nova launcher runs really good. I normally always go with an AOSP ROM on all my Android phones, but not sure I want to on the Note II and lose all the S-Pen features

url]

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Have you owned a iPhone before, how does this phone compare?

Been a few years since I owned an iPhone. The Note 2 is a whole different ballgame. The iPhone is a like a kids toy now, and the Note 2 feels like a desktop computer shrunk down to a portable Star Trek handheld device.

The size is massively different, but it takes maybe a few days to a week before you are comfortable and look back at the iPhone is a wristwatch size.

Plus all the crazy customization on the Note 2, add widgets, use the S-Pen for so many cool things, set it up anyway you like

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Been a few years since I owned an iPhone. The Note 2 is a whole different ballgame. The iPhone is a like a kids toy now, and the Note 2 feels like a desktop computer shrunk down to a portable Star Trek handheld device.

The size is massively different, but it takes maybe a few days to a week before you are comfortable and look back at the iPhone is a wristwatch size.

Plus all the crazy customization on the Note 2, add widgets, use the S-Pen for so many cool things, set it up anyway you like
My friend is convinced that the note is better then the iPhone, but I'm yet to see the benifits. I have seen the video where a person hooked up a monitor to the Note and used it as a computer, which was pretty cool. I guess I'd have to play with it for awhile before I'd ditch the iPhone..

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I am going to try CleanROM AT&T Special Edition 1.2. Looks sweet and seems to be great with battery life.

Michael

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I am going to try CleanROM AT&T Special Edition 1.2. Looks sweet and seems to be great with battery life.

Michael

Great. Keep up posted on your impressions, always looking for something new and improved to try.

Subu

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2013
I am very impressed with the progress of the Android OS from day one until now. I bought one of the first from T-Mobile, and have purchased at least one new HTC or Samsung S series at each refresh.

The Galaxy S line in particular have been just stellar. While the earlier versions of Android had some bugs and annoyances, that's in the past now.

Jelly Bean 4.1.x is simply outstanding.
Perfect? No,
Excellent? Yes!

Like any other OS there's always improvements to be made and little bugs to be resolved but overall I'm very happy with my Nexus and my SGS III.

The Galaxy Note series are ideal for those who benefit from their size and capabilities. I give Samsung a lot of credit for taking the risk to go to that size. It just proves the market studies do have their benefits, as that's what Samsung relied upon heavily to make their decision.

At the end of the day, I'm finding that running an iPhone and Galaxy phone is the best possible combination for me. I get to keep current on both, and that keeps me from getting bored with the rather simple, yet highly satisfying iOS platform.

Thanks for the interesting post

I liked your balanced view

If given a choice of JUST one phone .... *just one* between an iPhone and a Galaxy one , which one would you choose and why ?

TIA

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Battery life is important to me so I would definitely choose the note 2. I used to carry an iPhone 5 with an iPad Mini. I would sometimes use the Mini to save battery life from the iPhone. Now I travel a lot lighter with just the Note 2 and I carry a spare battery. Lasts 2.5-3 days without having to charge.

My iPhone 5 has been reduced to being a house phone with Talkatone installed to make and receive GoogleVoice calls over WiFi. I also use it to read twitter and send emails in the toilet.

I still use my iPad to read books and magazines at home. The reading experience is still much better on the iPad

Sunsenista

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Hong-Kong
MIUI INTRO:

For those who doesn't know MIUI is a world team who work on that rom but comes from China with the phone Xiaomi.

Need a root phone and then install the Chinese/English version on their website here :

http://www.miui.com/getrom.php

And not forget the Gapps file to have Google Play.

I'm using this Rom for multiply reasons:

1/ Super Smooth

2/ Battery friendly and much more better than stock rom with perseus kernel i get a 2 days batterie with mail music chat app call etc ...

3/ They got a market for personnalize your phone with almost everything free.

4/ A feeling of IOS and a feeling of android. ( if the feeling of IOS is not your type juste put all app in a file and hide it ...)

5/ Multi windows working = But working with 100 pourcent of your app and note just few. So i have texas poker playing when chatting on Whatsapp for example.

6/ Stylet working at 100 pourcents when take off Snote pop up working also and so on.

What do you lose from international rom:

NOTHING!!!:p:p:p

Really they made a super great Job on this rom.

U can manage all your app and block them to not working when you dont want, to save much more power.

There is an auto back up of all your phone!

Auto update in one click...

Using it since a week, and just lovin it!

If you interesting and want more details just let me know but prefer this to international stock firmware and nova Prime!

:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-26-11-52-41.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-26-11-52-41.png
    478 KB · Views: 105

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Great. Keep up posted on your impressions, always looking for something new and improved to try.

So far I like it a lot. But it is my first custom ROM lol.

I really like the way Scott presents it too. Sometimes a thread in XDA is a bit cluttered looking and for me hard to follow, being new to Android. But the way Scott's ROMs presents it seems much more inviting, if that makes sense. Got minne here:
http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=328

I like being able to configure the touchwiz notification toggles (or whatever it is that replaced it).

Michael

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
So far I like it a lot. But it is my first custom ROM lol.

I really like the way Scott presents it too. Sometimes a thread in XDA is a bit cluttered looking and for me hard to follow, being new to Android. But the way Scott's ROMs presents it seems much more inviting, if that makes sense. Got minne here:
http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=328

I like being able to configure the touchwiz notification toggles (or whatever it is that replaced it).

Michael

Scott does great work. I've been a fan since I first used cleanrom on the HTC one x. The only other rom I've used on the note 2 is jedi rom. Both are excellent but I find myself always going back to cleanrom Ace. Can't recommend it enough!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Scott does great work. I've been a fan since I first used cleanrom on the HTC one x. The only other rom I've used on the note 2 is jedi rom. Both are excellent but I find myself always going back to cleanrom Ace. Can't recommend it enough!

You sold me on it. Wow. The AT&T SE rom was really good. But this is even better.

I am liking that I can adjust how auto brightness works. I went with the 4x6 grid too and it makes so much better use of that big screen.

Being able to use multi-view with any app is kinda cool. I might not use it all that much but I was watching a movie this morning while carrying on a text conversation at the same time. Very nice.

Anyway thanks for mentioning ACE again.

Michael

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
You sold me on it. Wow. The AT&T SE rom was really good. But this is even better.

I am liking that I can adjust how auto brightness works. I went with the 4x6 grid too and it makes so much better use of that big screen.

Being able to use multi-view with any app is kinda cool. I might not use it all that much but I was watching a movie this morning while carrying on a text conversation at the same time. Very nice.

Anyway thanks for mentioning ACE again.

Michael

Glad I could help!

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Any advice on how to root my Note 2? I am confused as I actually did the Exploit to root it, but I want to put this CleanRom on it but have no idea how too? Can't find any good instructions. :(

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Any advice on how to root my Note 2? I am confused as I actually did the Exploit to root it, but I want to put this CleanRom on it but have no idea how too? Can't find any good instructions. :(

Xda forums are what you need. You need to install a recovery like twrp or cwm. Goomanager on the play store can do it as long as you're rooted already

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.