Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Received it yesterday - refurbed standard macbook pro 13" June 2012. I was so nervous and just knew I would have problems with setup. It went so smoothly and that's with a power outage in the middle of my setup! When power came back, MBP was right where I left it except I had to reestablish network connection. Battery backup I guess but Im a newbie and thought I would have to start all over. I still cant get over how smoothly everything went. I even thought i would have to upgrade to ML but it was already there.

Just wondering about a few things. I have an ipad 4 and the response time is very fast. So comparatively, the response time on the MBP is slow. I do know that my internet speed is only 1.5 mbps and that I already need to increase that if I want to watch youtube videos on the ipad w/o buffering, but if I increase my internet speed (which will be costly for my budget), will it help response time on my MBP?

Not complaining, I couldnt be happier, just trying to get all setup correctly.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Received it yesterday - refurbed standard macbook pro 13" June 2012. I was so nervous and just knew I would have problems with setup. It went so smoothly and that's with a power outage in the middle of my setup! When power came back, MBP was right where I left it except I had to reestablish network connection. Battery backup I guess but Im a newbie and thought I would have to start all over. I still cant get over how smoothly everything went. I even thought i would have to upgrade to ML but it was already there.

Just wondering about a few things. I have an ipad 4 and the response time is very fast. So comparatively, the response time on the MBP is slow. I do know that my internet speed is only 1.5 mbps and that I already need to increase that if I want to watch youtube videos on the ipad w/o buffering, but if I increase my internet speed (which will be costly for my budget), will it help response time on my MBP?

Not complaining, I couldnt be happier, just trying to get all setup correctly.

First, congrats on your new MBP. As you noticed, it really takes care of business very well on it's own.

I'm assuming that 1.5mps is your download speed...kind of slow. Increasing you internet speed will help your response time for anything you do involving an internet connection. Browsing the web, and any apps that require an internet connection should get quicker.

Obviously, operations not requiring internet connections will not be effected by improved download speeds. I don't know your upload speeds, but if 1.5mps is download speed, I can't imagine what your upload speed is, as upload speeds are generally slower that download speeds.

If you do a lot of internet related stuff, you'll either have to get used to things happening slowly, or increase your speeds with your ISP by whatever your budget will allow.

Have fun with your new machine!!:D

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Another factor to consider is the HDD. The iPad is flash based. A 256 GB SSD can be had for around $250. Stick with Samsung, Crucial M4 or OCZ Vertex and avoid lower quality drives. Even on a new machine, SSD is a huge upgrade. Take time to research it and decide if you are up to removing the dozen or so phillips and torx screws involved. Also, if you do decide to upgrade, by all means test booting using a USB to SATA kit before opening up your MBP to make a switch.

I don't suspect your wireless at this point 'cuz you say your iPad 4 works fine and the wireless in your MBP is at least as good as the iPad.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
What is the wireless signal you are connecting to? Is if wireless B, G or N? What version of wireless encryption is being used (like WPA or WEP)?

Signal is b, g and encryption is WPA. And in response to SSD, I definitely am not good enough to upgrade myself. Maybe I can do that later. For rigt now I will live with what I bought. I did buy the MBP vs the MBA, was looking at both. So glad I have the choice to upgrade or not.

Thanks to all.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
1. Download the free program iStumbler beta because it does work on 10.8.x) and check if you wireless signal is different than signals around you. This way you can change the wireless channel to be different that the others around you. This might avoid signal overlap.

2. On you Mac open System Preferences->Network pane (System Preferences should be in your dock).

3. In the Network pane at the top of the pane select the 'Location drop-down.

4. In the 'Location' drop-down select 'Edit Locations'.

5. In the pop-up click the + sign and a new line will appear (an d you can edit it) create a custom name calling it what you want.

6. Save the new Custom named location and click the OK button to save. Then in the General Network pane click the bottom 'Apply' button to save everything.

7. Go back into System Preferences->Network pane and use this pane to rejoin your wireless network.

8. Report back to see if creating this new Location or the wireless channel change helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.