Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkPassenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Hello all!

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 laptop.

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hardrive Capacity: 74.21 GB

Available: 15.4 GB

Opening anything takes forever, Im always freezing and seeing that rainbow circle icon >_>

Anything I can do to help this?

DarkPassenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
6 GB if it's the 13" late 2007.

But I think he has one of the earlier one, there's plenty of 2 GHz machines though, as long as the OP doesn't say the model we can just guess.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1

Dont know if that helps haha

DarkPassenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Yes, and you are lucky, it can go up to 6 GB, one 4 GB stick and one 2 GB stick, but if I were you I would buy just one 4 GB stick.
Are both slots occupied now?

I think so, I'm pretty clueless at this type thing

28gs4eg.jpg

I took a screen cap, is that it?

Nov 28, 2010
located

Nope. It's 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM for late 2008 and newer MB/Ps, and you need 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM.

And I have not seen an eBay article with such a scarce description, but at least the seller mentioned "DDR3 RAM".

You need something like this, and DDR2 RAM is more expensive than DDR3 RAM due to its age and not being produced in masses like DDR3 RAM.

DarkPassenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Nope. It's 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM for late 2008 and newer MB/Ps, and you need 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM.

And I have not seen an eBay article with such a scarce description, but at least the seller mentioned "DDR3 RAM".

You need something like this, and DDR2 RAM is more expensive than DDR3 RAM due to its age and not being produced in masses like DDR3 RAM.

Ok thanks, lucky I didnt big on it :p

Might just buy it from the link you sent, you think this should stop the computer going so slow then?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ok thanks, lucky I didnt big on it :p

Might just buy it from the link you sent, you think this should stop the computer going so slow then?

It will not stop it from being slow, but the slowness should appear much less with more RAM.

You could also add an SSD to your MB, thus getting an even snappier machine, since the HDD is the slowest components (besides the optical disk drive (ODD)) in computers nowadays.

DarkPassenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Last question/summary.

Ok so I have two choices, sell the mac the way it is and get a acer, or get that upgrade.

I do graphics and animation so really do need a laptop that is fast enough to handle them programs, never mind one that freezes opening google.

So if I get this upgrade, will it be able to hold up with todays laptops, for example this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5089174.htm

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I agree, get a new computer. But you should really look for a laptop with better battery life. 3.5 hours in 2013?...that is not very good.

A few things Windows laptop manufactures skimp out on are the Screen, Trackpad and speakers. Also check the keyboard for flex by pushing on it. Basically what I'm saying is use the computer in person before buying it.

Oh and make sure if its a Intel laptop it has HD 4000 Graphics (or a separate dedicated card). History of Intel's integrated graphics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics. Don't go lower than HD 4000.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.