Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
My iPhone 5 will randomly lose all contrast and the screen will appear completely gray for a few seconds every now and then.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

Obviously I will be getting it replaced.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I've had something similar. It happens occasionally when I wake it from sleep. The display is washed out and VERY faint and VERY dim. Adjusting the brightness control has no effect on it. I have to put it back to sleep then wake it up again. Is this what you are experiencing?

I was concerned that I should report it or return it.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I've had something similar. It happens occasionally when I wake it from sleep. The display is washed out and VERY faint and VERY dim. Adjusting the brightness control has no effect on it. I have to put it back to sleep then wake it up again. Is this what you are experiencing?

I was concerned that I should report it or return it.

This is a software bug. Happened on my 4S as well as my 5. It's just the screen brightness getting put really low, also happens on my ipad occasionally.

Not sure if this is what OP is talking about.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Two iPhone 5's in the house and it happens to both of them.

Sometimes it does it often and other times it never does it at all. Very strange.

Im thinking its software related. I wouldn't exchange a perfect device for that small issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.