Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I wonder if Apple will use big.LITTLE configuration in the next iPhone.

If they do, it could turn out to be very battery efficient, since the "LITTLE" core aka A7 uses very little power.

And Apple will most likely not opt for a quad core configuration but rather a dual core again: 2x A15 - x2 A7. This would potentially mean an easy full day battery, even two days maybe, while being faster.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Don't forget the IGZO display which is much more power efficient than current displays too. This is the first time I'm hearing of a more efficient processor, but if that's true the next iPhone might really come with dramatically improved battery life...

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Apple have never made any significant improvements to the real-life battery usage of their phones. Personally i'd prefer better battery life but Apple in all of their wisdom tend to keep it the same, prioritising keeping newer components energy efficient so they can make their phones smaller/or cram in new hardware features whilst keeping battery life ACCEPTABLE.

buremarey

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
I expect the new iPhone 5S to be running an Intel Haswell processor.
6f.jpg

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
Apple have never made any significant improvements to the real-life battery usage of their phones. Personally i'd prefer better battery life but Apple in all of their wisdom tend to keep it the same, prioritising keeping newer components energy efficient so they can make their phones smaller/or cram in new hardware features whilst keeping battery life ACCEPTABLE.

I think thats more due to the rate of advancement in battery technology not being able to keep up with Moores Law.

The basic chemistry of the batteries in todays iPhone is essentially the same as the first iPod's. There have been some advances in terms of miniaturization and cell configuration, but we are essentially in the same place - higher battery capacity requires bigger batteries.

There are a few innovations on the horizon that should radically change this, but not sure if they are ready for consumer adoption just yet. I'd bet its an area of intense interest for Apple though.

Cody3133

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2012
I hope for an IGZO display, a big.LITTLE(quad-core in the big one), and a huge battery life. One which makes even the Razr Maxx shudder.

Honestly, those are the things that would matter most. The rest should lie in software innovations

Only if they make the phone bigger to hold the bigger battery, which bigger is worse in apple's book

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
With rumors the iPad 5 is pushed back to October are they gonna release a radically updated processor on the iPhone first again?

Since it is likely to be an 's' model I see the processor being updated, but it's weird to me how that'll be twice in a row the iPhone has got the 'better' processor first!

Either way, expecting a big performance jump (again!) from this new iPhone!

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
You honestly think Apple wants devices that last forever? Then you can't upgrade and buy a new one.

errant

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
if they'd just figure out what it is about their Podcasts app that drains the battery on iOS 6, I'd by happy.

but then that's just 1 of a dozen things about that apps that needs to be fixed to make me happy.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Well i think that adding the IGZO display and the smaller more power efficient A7 chip from Apple will provide more room in the housing of the phone so I would say they could cram a 1700 mAh battery or so next time in the 5S for spectacular battery life lasting all day

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
New iphone should be 12mm thick to accommodate a large 4000mah battery, a4 chip, 3.2" IGZO display and no LTE or 3G to conserve battery life.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I expect the new iPhone 5S to be running an Intel Xeon 12-core processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.