Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I just got my ipad 4. Great list! Thanks :)

Congrats! There is at least one other fairly recent thread on gaming on iOS, plus someone recently asked people to rate their top 2 (just 2) iOS apps (not just games but everything) on here, have a look if you haven't either thread, the apps listed are very interesting and great information to have. I even learned about one or two I knew nothing about.

BTW, Joe Danger (which I already posted a day or so ago) I seriously just can't put down, it's one of the best games I've played on my iPad, if that's your thing, check it out.

Last edited:

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
Congrats! There is at least another thread on gaming on iOS, plus someone recently asked people to rate their top 2 (just 2) iOS apps (not just games but everything) on here, have a look if you haven't read it, the apps listed are very interesting and great information to have. I even learned about one or two I knew nothing about.

BTW, Joe Danger (which I already posted a day or so ago) I seriously just can't put down, it's one of the best games I've played on my iPad, if that's your thing, check it out.

Couldnt find the top 2 list... do you have the link?thanks! :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, I agree, I've probably played more games on the iPad vs. any other device, and have gamed more in the last several months.

We've got a house full of consoles, and most are just gathering dust with the exception of the PS3 because it's a blue-ray player (and a very good one) - though we did play the incredible (and highly recommended) Journey.

Anyway, I think it's a combination of:

1. Games that are just fun, easy to just pick up and play, simple game mechanics (what I guess gaming dorks call "casual" :D )
  2. Maturity of the platform, developers are giving us near console quality experiences
  3. Small enough to be portable, but large enough where it doesn't feel tiny, the experience isn't so "congested" (vs. dedicated portal consoles)
  4. Great selection of games under $5, heck, most of the ones we've played the most were free-to-$1.99
  5. Easily move between gaming and other tasks like email
  6. Touch based gaming is very engaging and immersive

Just wanted to add a big thanks to the app/game recommendations ... some look great (and I hadn't heard of them before this thread) :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Tried Chopper Lite recently. I liked it but the paid version have longevity to it? It said 20 levels but the free one I went through 5 or 6 scenarios pretty fast. Was that considered just one level?

Also, what other helicopter games to try since I liked this one?

Thanks in advance for your reply. BTW, my Xbox 360 has been collecting dust.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just downloaded Black Shark HD for iPad since it's free today. Otherwise, I don't know a thing about it...yet. They have some other 'copter-related titles, too.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for that one. Try Chopper for free if you have't yet.

I downloaded Chaos and Gunship II. Don't know anything bout em except they were free versions, not necessarily helicopter. :)

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I have several games loaded on my iPad but find it too heavy to use for anything other than non-action gaming (board games, Plague Inc., card games, etc.).

I think the Mini is better suited for gaming. Big enough for a great screen, not so heavy as to cause hand/wrist fatigue on long flights.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
Like some guys said, console gaming is still the way to go for the hardcore guys. I still play my console when I can, but I have a job, two kids and a pregnant wife and sometimes I just don't have time to get on the console but I do have time to get on my iPad. It is a life saver like that...a busy working dad like me can still get some gaming time in..

That being said, some of my favorites:

Knights of Pen and Paper RPG
Kingdom Rush
Black Fortress
Towelfight 2: Monocle of Destiny
Ridiculous Fishing
Plague Inc.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Try Chopper for free if you have't yet.

Just downloaded and played a little -- thanks. But, how do you "defeat the enemy"? Do you just squash 'em by landing on them?

And, I see get to scoop everybody by mentioning REAL RACING 3! (It's been mentioned in other threads, but it came out after this one went dormant.)

It's got a fair amount of awesomeness for no initial cost. And, I happen to know for a fact you can play for many hours without pulling out your wallet for IAPs. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just downloaded and played a little -- thanks. But, how do you "defeat the enemy"? Do you just squash 'em by landing on them?

And, I see get to scoop everybody by mentioning REAL RACING 3! (It's been mentioned in other threads, but it came out after this one went dormant.)

It's got a fair amount of awesomeness for no initial cost. And, I happen to know for a fact you can play for many hours without pulling out your wallet for IAPs. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom

For Chopper, positioned at the top of each side of the screen are weapons you can use to kill the enemy. Gets a bit uncomfortable holding the iPad trying to hit those buttons but I think the paid version is the same so I am holding off for now.

I have RR3. I want some flying games in my library.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.