Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I would just be browsing safari and my Time Machine backups would be 300MB without adding or downloading anything? Other times it's 20MB every time

I'm afraid it's going to fill up fast, why is it making such huge backups?

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Time Machine

you can delete old backups, just go into TM and delete files, I use Time Machine Editor (app), to set the frequency of backups, mine is set for every 3 days..

also there is this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11148

you have options what to back up

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would suggest you consider an alternative to Time Machine backups. TM backups aren't bootable and you might have a problem if you ever need to resort to one in a "moment of extreme need".

Much better to switch to CarbonCopyCloner as a backup strategy. It creates bootable backups in POFF (plain old finder format). If you have a problem (can't boot, bad file, etc), just hook up the CCC clone drive and go from there.

CCC makes "disaster recovery" -much- easier than does TM...

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Where do you go to delete old backups, I can't figure it out

Personally... I think that mucking around with your backups is a mistake. Set it up and let it rip. Personally, I think that people who muck around with backup are nuts.

External HDDs are dirt cheap. Even a paltry 1TB drive would take 5.7 years to fill by adding 20MB every hour. That is before even considering that TM self purges. You are worrying about adding teaspoons of water to a swimming pool. Focus your energy on something that matters... and let your backup do its job.

/Jim

Last edited:

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Where do you go to delete old backups, I can't figure it out

Time Machine will delete older backups automatically, so you don't need to do that.

In Time Machine preferences you can exclude folders. You can exclude temporary folders e.g. from Safari. Do you use some music streaming service? You should exclude those temp folders also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.