Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Ive had a Samsung 830 SSD installed in the optical drive area of my 27" iMac. It has been working fine up until the last month or so. Lately, the screen freezes up a little while after I log into my account, or as soon as I log in. It also happened when I logged into the original HD in my iMac. The only time it doesnt freeze up is when I log in as a guest. Ive been on it via guest for an hour now, and its running normally. I just recently got the iMac back from service, in which the screen and graphics card was replaced. When I received it, I removed the optical drive, and re-installed the SSD. Would the SSD be corrupt, and should I re-install ML onto it? I just find it weird that it freezes up after a bit on my account, but runs normally when logged in as a guest. Thoughts?

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Could be something that runs in the background when you start that account versus the guest account. I have quite a few programs and apps that automatically load when booting up. At one point, one of them no longer played nice with the OS - I think when I went from SL to Lion. The computer would hang on boot, until it finally decided to skip trying to launch that program.

Look in your System Preferences > Users and Group > Login Items to see if anything in there could be causing problems. You can remove them temporarily to see if it helps.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Could be something that runs in the background when you start that account versus the guest account. I have quite a few programs and apps that automatically load when booting up. At one point, one of them no longer played nice with the OS - I think when I went from SL to Lion. The computer would hang on boot, until it finally decided to skip trying to launch that program.

Look in your System Preferences > Users and Group > Login Items to see if anything in there could be causing problems. You can remove them temporarily to see if it helps.

I dont have much in terms of Login items. I use to use istat pro, but even that I took out after a while. Here is pretty much what has happened:

-It freezes up a few minutes after logging into my account (which is the SSD)

-I switch to the original HD in my iMac, and log into that account, which is still running Lion, and that freezes up after a few minutes.

-I log in as a guest, and created a new admin user. I started to run carbon copy cloner, so I can copy the original HD so I can add a new WD 2tb drive, and that newly created admin user freezes.

-I once again log in as a guest, and EVERYTHING is working fine. WTF?!?!?! Im running the copy, Im surfing safari, listening to the radio in itunes, and playing cards on full tilt. I dont understand why everything is running fine as a guest, but I cant seem to get anything to work otherwise. I have the guest account set to sharing btw. I really dont know what to do.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You might have problems with FileVault 2, is it enabled on the normal account and not the Guest account?
FileVault 2 and certain SSD's have problems/issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.