Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
Hi, Im a former DJ of many years ago, Id like set up my iMac to mix some music without spending a lot of money. I Still have my old turntables and Mixer but what I would like to be able to use some of the new dj software(either Virtual DJ or DJay) and be able to cue up in my headphones and listen to music through my Computer speakers. Like you would like a normal DJ these days.

I have a set of Bose Companion 20 Speakers sounds great I really don't want to use an external amp. Im not sure if I could use my mixer to control bass, treble, mid and volume, also which track is being played using analog.

I have this mixer http://www.vestax.com/v/products/detail.php?cate_id=148&parent_id=125

and two technique 1200's tones of vynal, I want to eventaully turn that into a digital collection to be mixed in the future.

Any help would be great.. I don;t have to use just those programs any other suggestions with out spending over 100$ I hope ..

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
Lot of subjects here.
Sounds like you can already mix vinyl, you can record the vinyl via the mixer into your mac. But you probably knew that. Have you got any wavs/aifs/mp3s etc already on your mac? To mix those, using the turntables, mixer (inc the mixer eqs and cueing in your headphones) you'll need an audio/computer interface and timecoded vinyl that's compatible with whatever software you decide to use, ie djay, traktor, serato and others - you get the timecoded vinyl when you buy the interface.
The interface would allow you to get decent recordings of your vinyl.
Turntables are getting scarce in clubs now, cdjs using their own internal software and/or timecoded CDs are the norm.
This is a wide subject.
Check out digitaldjtips for some solid advice.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
Thanks Paul I'll look into it I just didn't want to to have too much stuff in front of my mac on my desk.. I really enjoyed that web sight !! lol Wish they had that long time ago. When i was learning it took me almost 2 years of practicing beat matching before I could prefect it in seconds !! Apparently they can do it in hours lol.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
Well it seems to me that the two options you need to consider are serato or traktor. Both are digital djing applications that will read time code vinyl.
And both can be used for djing with controllers or CDJ's or vinyl if you so choose.

The apps you mentioned in the OP are just toys man, and i consider them to be a waste of money as neither one has any features found in applications used by actual DJ's.

Serato or Traktor is the only way to go if you want to use vinyl.

cheekypaul

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2005
in defence of djay, virtual dj and others like mixvibes etc, its not a question of quality but of personal preference. all of these apps will do as much including being controlled by timecoded vinyl (not for djay afaik) and sometimes more and easier than the two market leaders. plenty of "real" djs use them every week.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
you cant cue and listen to a second track without an external mixer ( while the computer speakers are playing the first track). you need a controller like a traktor s2 or any other controller that laptop DJs use.

Johbremat

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
Classic mixer.

You have one of two options if you're deciding to use software in order to DJ:

1. MIDI. Use a controller to operate the software and be able to cue; navigate library; engage effects; seek through tracks. Audio is sent through an audi interface to the mixer.

2. DVS (digital vinyl system). A tone is sent from CV (control vinyl) from a turntable to an audio interface, which is hooked up to your machine. This tone maps the pitch of the record and its timeframe against a virtual deck in the DVS software. The software spits audio back through the audio interface to your mixer.

Typical options are Serato's Scratch Live, and Native Instrument's Traktor. This are considered at the top of their game though command a premium. Atomix Virtual DJ and ImageLine Deckadance are the next best thing and can utilise CV for Traktor and Scratch Live.

All can be operated with MIDI controllers, though Scratch Live is slightly hobbled.

While the following were made to display how Traktor can be wired up, they're equally applicable for all the packages...

MIDI:
TKX1-setup4.png

DVS:
E-Comm-Blog-Assignment-TSP-Setup.jpg

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Well it seems to me that the two options you need to consider are serato or traktor. Both are digital djing applications that will read time code vinyl.
And both can be used for djing with controllers or CDJ's or vinyl if you so choose.

The apps you mentioned in the OP are just toys man, and i consider them to be a waste of money as neither one has any features found in applications used by actual DJ's.

Serato or Traktor is the only way to go if you want to use vinyl.

I tried those apps and ended up treating myself to traktor and a S2.

Best investment I made...... and im certainly not a pro.

Use your turntables and mixer with serato..... its the best way

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I tried those apps and ended up treating myself to traktor and a S2.

Best investment I made...... and im certainly not a pro.

Use your turntables and mixer with serato..... its the best way

Glad i could help! :)
I'm a proud owner of an S4, welcome to owning one of the best controllers on the market!

Get yourself some colored knobs here:
https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-caps

I went with blue, looks so slick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.