Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Who plays league of legends on mac !!

i just started and i am loving it , my 2012 classic 15inch gives me everything i could possibly need to play the game fullscreen at 70-120 fps consistantly never drops below 65. anyway its my first week playing and i already can beat intermiediate bots and win 90% of my normal pvp matches so feel free to add me and teach me the advanced stuff

crizthakidd is my ID

Lou Reads

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
I play LoL. Just started around October.

If people don't know what League of Legends is the game is a free MOBA. The catch is at first you can only play as the 10 free champions available (out of over a 100 available) a week. The champions rotate weekly. Eventually you can either earn enough points in game to buy the champions you like to play or spend real money to hurry up the process. I'm cheap so I have yet to spend real money but have earned enough in game credit to buy some champions I like. You can also spend real money on skins for your champions to spruce them up or whatever.

Boompje.net - Download iLoL <- Mac Client DL. - Be ready for the game to install & patch itself. This takes a long time on the 1st run.

You'll need to register an account at the main site to be able to log into the LoL app you download from Boompje.

Technical Requirements

Operating System Mac OS X 10.6 or later
Minimum Processor Core 2 Duo
Minimum Ram 2 GB (4 GB Highly recommended)
Minimum Graphic Cards ATI 2600HD, nVidia 9400M, Intel HD 3000
Unsupported Graphic Cards Intel GMA 950, GMA 3100, ATI X1600HD

I was hoping that DotA would have the same thing but apparently not yet. I've been having fun with it.

If you decide to give it a shot please use "robotlou" as your referrer. I'd appreciate it. Or don't. It doesn't really matter.

Anyway, give it a shot if you want to try a free game. I think is pretty fun. My summoner handle is "Lou Reads" I'm down to play some beginner bot or custom games to help people learn the ropes after they do the tutorial level.

Also if you do play and are confused by all the different choices in champions & items please check out sites like

lolpro.com
championselect.net

They have guides on how you should be building your champs to bring the best fights to the game.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
So it looks like Riot is coming out with a native OSX client!!

yay happy days!!

Lou Reads

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
HoN & Dota 2 > LoL.

While you make some really salient points, until they come out with Mac clients they aren't. Thank you for your well stated post.

EDIT: I see there is a Mac client for HoN but I don't believe there is one for DotA. Again, thank you for your thoughtful and insightful addition.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
While you make some really salient points, until they come out with Mac clients they aren't. Thank you for your well stated post.

EDIT: I see there is a Mac client for HoN but I don't believe there is one for DotA. Again, thank you for your thoughtful and insightful addition.

I've played both HoN and LoL. HoN is perhaps a bit more difficult for new people, because of deny of kills and so on. HoN has had remarkable mac support from day one, which LoL has not.

Although I play much more LoL than HoN, because I have quite a few friends that prefer LoL over HoN.

Anyways all 3 games are very nice free to play games, and you can have a lot of fun without paying anything at all.

Lou Reads

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
One way to get better at the game is to watch the pros streams on Twitch.tv

I recommend WingsOfDeathX & Zekent and Crumbzz. They have very helpful & informative game streams. They are pretty chatty with people who are watching the streams, too.

Also Season 3 of the pro series started yesterday. There were some great games. They are starting up again tonight at lolesports.com

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont

Long on-going debate over at IMG on this: http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44126&st=0

I didn't feel like typing it out again earlier and forgot to links, so my bad. I and Snake over there explain why we like Dota and Hon over LoL.

Syndra

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
There is an official Riot Mac client on the test server, expect it to launch in a couple of weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.